or Connect

Posts by markface

thank you for all the replies . i think i will go with most every ones suggestions and just get the ones i use . i really only use 3 for most occasions so i'll just look to get them for now . being as i've only been cooking professionaly for less than a year and a half , i dont have a lot of experience with quality cutlery . i've been working in a small place and unfortunately under the ownership of an extreme tightwad . at home as i said i use what ever i have on hand ....
well , i'm looking to buy a set of knives as a christmas present for myself this year . i dont have a lot of money to spend on them , but i would like to get something decent . i have always used whatever was on hand at home , and at work we use "next day gourmet" cheapy knives that seem to need sharpening hourly . i am hoping to stay in the $100 -$125 range . any recomendations would be greatly appreciated .
well , i ended up using a recipee given to me by a friend of italian desent , or atleast thats what i started out doing . the problem i ran into was that once it was boiled i had basically rubber octopuss . it tasted real good , but it took fifteen minutes to chew each bite . i'm assuming i did something wrong , but found a way to avoid throwing it out . after thinking about it for a while (had plenty of time while chewing my first 2 bites) i took my rubber eight legged...
i picked up about 6 lbs of fresh octopus this morning at a local seafood shop . i need to find a good recipe to use it in . i've never worked with these critters before so i have no clue as to how it should be prepared . any help would be greatly appreciated .
I'm in the middle of "The Green Mile" by Stephen King. I saw the movie and liked it , and someone said the book followed the movie pretty close . Half way through the book and it's really surprising how close it is to the movie . I also read a couple news letters(email) either daily or weekly depending on when they arive . Also i'll read any box or label with in reach if i'm sitting still to long .
thanks yall , i think i'll go ahead and use my gamma's method , but i'll use the veggie oil instead . just wanted to make sure . i dont know if i could crack these critters with a sledge hammer , their the thickest iron skillets i've ever seen . i cant wait to make some of my gamma's bisquits in them .
i was just recently given a set of 3 old iron skillets . they had been sitting in the attic of a friends parents house for god knows how long , and had a good bit of surface rust on them . i used steel wool and vegetable oil(and a lot of elbow grease) to clean the rust off of them , and now they are completely rust free . i know my gamma used to season her iron skillets by putting a couple table spoons of bacon grease in them and letting them sit in a 200 degree oven over...
well , it looks like i can put the ole resume back in its file again . last monday(couple days before we got hit with isabel) my boss called me into his office after i had closed and cleaned up the kitchen . i figured i had done something wrong and had a butt chewing coming . instead , to my great surprise and delight , i was promoted and given a nice raise . now granted there are only 4 of us doing the cooking here , but i am now the assistent head cook(my boss still dont...
i live in virginia beach virginia , and isabel did not seem to be as bad as floyd was , but it did much more damage . we lost power about 1:30 pm est thursday , and just got it back about 12:30 am sunday(saturday night) . we lucked out . i drove around the city friday and saw hundreds of downed tree's and power lines . there are still hundreds of thousands of folks without power , and some of them may be with out power for as long as 3 weeks . as bad as we got it here ,...
i also learned to cook by watching my gamma and mother , and to a certain extent my father . up until i started cooking profesionally i seldom used measuring utinsils except when baking . its only been in the last few months when i bring in samples of some of my home cooking and my boss wants recipe's that i realized that its hard to convert small pile of this medium pile of that into actual measurements . now anytime i cook something that i havent already converted , i...