or Connect

Posts by Someday

Are you the chef or a line cook?   If you are the chef, then your best bet would be to show him how it should be done using specials. In the above example, buy a side of salmon, some fresh green beans/veg, and cook and offer to gusts the same/similar special but fresh. In most circumstances, using pre-made and "convenience" food products is a false economy. Yes, it can save on labor, but the food is usually MORE expensive. Also, the quality is so much higher. You'll get...
Yes, chef shoes (need to be black and non-slip), chef pants (again, black is your best friend). Chef jacket should be white and conservative, short sleeve might be OK if you want, but something nice and clean. Don't buy anything too expensive (no egyptian cotton, etc)...you don't want a chef coat more expensive than the chef's lol.    I would buy an apron also...probably a bib style with a solid color (black, again, or white) or maybe a pinstripe one. If you are staging...
Take a breath lol.   I think you are on the right track. My advice is to keep doing his job for him. I know that sounds counter intuitive, but it has a chance of shaming him into working harder. Guys like that will try and bring you down to their level--like, if YOU are ok with the hoods never being cleaned, then he won't ever clean them. He just won't do them and hope that you never say or do anything so that he has to do them. He's lazy, he's burnt out, he wants to do...
In defense of JR Brooks, he may have been assuming the OP was a chef/owner, who was having trouble with his sub-ordinates making food he didn't want. He may be telling the OP that he's the chef, its his way or nothing. I don't think he was saying that if he worked for the OP he would say "my way."    I suggest you lay down the law. No need to be a jerk, just tell them in no uncertain terms that you have an established style. Their creativity is welcome to flourish inside...
You are better off buying as high quality stuff as you can afford as well. I would say buy less but higher quality and add later as budget allows. We are just talking small wares? I assume things like blender/robot coupe, mixer, etc has all been taken care of.    As far as I know, there is not a set formula for expected covers vs. amount of pans.    If we don't have the menu, a budget, etc it will be hard to help. How many stations...which type of stations (meat, fish,...
 As far as I am aware, meat glue has no flavor development properties. It is true that is binds the two amino acids together, but where did you learn that meat glue adds flavor? It is also true that MSG is also an amino acid, but meat glue and MSG are two separate things.  Again, TG's purpose it to bind protein, not develop flavor. It seems that adding TG to a foie mousse or powder would be a huge waste of TG. Do you have a source on this?  And yes, the tapioca...
You got it!
I'm going to guess it's "amuse gueule" which is the same thing as an amuse bouche or a canape. It's usually one (or more) courses served in fancy restaurants to whet the appetite and buy time to prepare the food.    The way he says it--he probable talks very fast and it might sound something like "moosgel"
Get a part time job working in a kitchen at some place that will hire you. You'll prob have to work nights and weekends. See what you think.    Just pound the pavement until you find a place. I would start at the top and work your way down. Maybe start off washing dishes, if you'd like. I think you may be underestimating how little money you will make. You will make like a quarter of what you make now...if not less. That is by far the worst part...working so hard for so...
Aw dude, I spent time early in my career at a high pressure, famous-chef big time kitchen restaurant, and I gotta tell you, there was time when I felt like quitting every day. I wasn't good enough, wasn't fast enough, didn't know anything, couldn't do anything right, had to do shit over (and over), etc. It brought me to tears on more than one occasion. But ultimately, once I rose to the pressure and learned a few things, I loved that job. It was my formative kitchen and...