or Connect

Posts by Someday

Cream? No no no no no no no.    Here's how I used to make it when I worked the pasta station at a badass Italian joint in my hometown.    Sweat guanciale (we used house made, natch, but sometimes we used housemade pancetta too)  Pour out/reserve about 1/2 the fat We added caramelized onions to ours, but you don't have to. I like it though.  Deglaze with white wine. You can cool and set aside your pan at this point.  Add cooked al dente pasta to the pan (we made our...
I agree, I think your best solution is to take it off the sheet pan and cut it on a board or table. If you try and cut on the sheet pan you will most likely have issues.    Just an FYI, the cutter you linked to is ONLY the rod. It contains no cutting blades (despite what the picture shows). Those appear to be a separate purchase. Wasn't sure if you noticed, but you might be in for a shock when you open your package. 
Sounds like you are working for a good chef. One that understands it takes time to build up and gain experience before you are a star. Garnish is one of the hardest stations because it can get so hectic with making all the stuff to go with the protein. It is usually a "starting" station on the hot line but damn, it can get crazy.    Try not to make the same mistake twice. You WILL make mistakes, it is just part of learning, but if you constantly make the same mistakes...
You'll be fine. Most former employers won't rat you out because it could potentially open them up for liability issues if they block your employment at a new place. If, for whatever reason, it comes up, just tell the chef the truth (well, your version of it anyways) that you couldn't work any longer in a non-professional environment and that you'd had enough.    People leave jobs all the time, people don't get along all the time, don't fret too much.    I would take...
We need to collectively (as the food industry) get away from using the term "stage" to mean a working job interview. It drives me bonkers. A stage (stahj) is a period of time where you work for free or subsistence pay/room and board at a place in order to learn and gain work experience. It typically only happens in the upper echelons (think Michelin star) places in Europe the US and I'm assuming around the world too.    It is similar to an unpaid internship, maybe only...
 That was a different pasta...that was a garlic/oil pasta. No tomatoes in that one. 
Here's what I cook for dates (too few recently tho). I learned it at an Italian joint I used to cook pasta at.    Ripe!! Plum tomatoes, blanched, peeled, seeded and cut in half                                 OR High quality canned tomatoes (like San Marzano) Good quality EVOO Basil Garlic Chili Flakes Butter Parmesan Dried Spaghetti, or make your own if you can Chopped fresh basil   Basically, you start by adding basil, slivered garlic, and chili flakes to a...
R. Murphy's oyster knives are the best. I use one and love it. The one I use has a different design, but they have several on the website.   For your kit/tools:   A good pepper grinder, I like Peugeot  Cake testers Small offset spatula Meat fork Large tweezers Small tweezers for plating Flexible bowl scraper (I use on my board for collecting/scraping chopped onion, etc) Corkscrew Microplane Benriner Mandolin (if the kitchen doesn't have one) Spoons (Kunz,...
Sausage Bolognese sauce Burgers (as mentioned)  Tartare (make sure you clean the meat real well, no connective tissue) Carpaccio Stew/braises (watch you don't overcook or dry out) Soup--things like Pho, etc Chili Kebobs/skewers Beef stroganoff Shaved beef for sandwiches (depending on size of cuts/trim) Larb/lettuce wraps Stir fry tacos Sheppard's/Cottage pie Meatloaf
Hey! How were your tacos 6 years ago??!?!?!? What did you end up putting on them?