Posts by Someday

Cooking for 10 people is a lot different than cooking for 2-4. You want to keep it executable so that you won't get overwhelmed...try to think of some things that can be pre plated a few minutes before they sit..   Also, start with an outline of your menu and then work inwards. Something like this:   Canapes/table food: Something like warm pita bread (homemade or bought...maybe brushed with garlic oil and warmed gently). Even some nice lavash crackers mgiht be...
I'm so disappointed I thought this was going to be about the luncheon meat. It's just about that city...pffft.    I don't know much about anything but I hears something about Italy and pasta...not sure. You should investigate. 
A salad on the side is always nice. I dunno about biscuits, only because I think I'd like something to soak up the soup with.    I don't know where you live but if you could get decent tomatoes, might make a nice salad. You could grill some corn and do a corn relish/salad something too. 
You are better off getting a job in the type of restaurant you want to work in and seeing if you like it. If you like/love it and see yourself doing it for a career, culinary school is an option. I wouldn't personally go the expensive culinary school route, knowing what I know now, but CC programs are often relatively affordable and filled with dedicated instructors as well.    You should do a search of this forum for "should I go to culinary school" because there has to...
I guess is, what I don't get, is if we currently live under and accept a system that is only MOSTLY effective at stamping out food borne contamination, why would we not apply those same standards to small farms? Like, if they hit the same or better % of contaminated food what is the problem? (I mean, it is obviously a problem when food is contaminated, but hopefully you all get my point). 
 IF you and your friend/co chef had a massive falling out...could he fire you?
 Not really. Service charge is just shorthand for when the restaurant adds the 15-20% onto the bill itself instead of tipping. It's kind of an outdated term...I know that Per Se changed the wording to "operational fee" or something like that a few years ago.  Probably needs to change though...like I said, service charge seems an outdated term. 
 Meh, I dunno. Most cases of foodborne illness is associated with CAFO's, contamination from workers (i.e. unwashed hands after using the bathroom either in restaurants or on farms/fields and other processing plants) and from the processing facilities themselves.   I mean, we have an already imperfect system with seemingly weekly mass recalls of e.coli contaminated greens, beef etc/all. I'm more likely to trust the farmer down the road whose name I know than freaking...
 Usually a service charge is added to the check by the restaurant instead of the customer adding a tip. At least, that is my understanding. I don't know what getting paid "service charge" is...it is usually done by restaurants who are trying to even out the pay gap between FoH and BoH. In other words, servers, bussers, cooks, etc all make an hourly wage instead of "tips," and the service charge is added by the restaurant to the bill instead of a customer giving a tip...
    You care enough to make a post asking what we think your title should be...so it seems you care a little.  I dunno...what is your boy's title? It sounds like either a co-chef or sous chef to me. If you are doing ordering, scheduling, specials, then I would say at least sous. Not too many CDP or line cooks doing that (though it does happen). Why don't you ask him? Or ask whoever is your boss? Anyways, if you love your job you are ahead of a lot of people. Don't...