or Connect

Posts by Someday

Hollandaise made with dark brown butter is delicious. Substituting another fat for some of the butter can be good too, think duck fat or bacon fat.    I also like to make my hollandaise with whole melted butter, not clarified (at least, when I am making a "regular" holly). I think if you can incorporate some of the milk solids and whatnots, it gives it a much richer, fuller, rounder butter flavor than just clarified. 
 Why do you feel the need to post things like this? If you have nothing to contribute to the topic, then leave. Don't read it. We get it, you don't like sous vide. Anything else chef?
 So if I place a Halibut filet in a pot of oil at a low temp, say 150F, that isn't poaching in oil? You'd call that low temp frying? I mean, I call it oil poaching, but whatever. Pretty sure that is a common thing in the industry.  Certainly a duck confit wouldn't be considered frying, would it?   Josh, I don't understand your point.  I don't know when you would do anything sous vide that is above poaching temp...I mean, even root veg I do at 185F. I consider that...
I don't understand the confusion...sous vide is obviously poaching. It is precisely controlled poaching...nothing more. You add flavorings to the bag, whether it is fat, herbs, spices, whatever. This, in effect, become the "medium" you are cooking in ("butter" poached scallops, "olive oil" poached cod). Instead of heating up an entire sautoir filled with EVOO or buerre monte and constantly playing with it on the piano to keep the temp in line, you use just a few table...
If I peeled a carrot would you eat the peels that were left on the cutting board?   I always peel carrots, even for stock. There have been a few local/small farm grown varieties I haven't needed to peel, just a good wash and scrub. But yeah, 99% of carrots I say peel. 
Blackberries and scallop sounds...not good.    Technically "vichyssoise" isn't served warm, but I digress.    The papillote as a cooking technique is fine, the fish doesn't necessarily have to be served in the papillote. In fact, given that it is in quotes and not stated "en papillote" it might be something a little different. I don't know about artichokes and thai flavors, as well as chimichirri. Seems mashed up, and not in a good way. I would pick one direction and...
Heat up smaller amounts more often throughout service.    Heat it to order.    Use a lid.    You can also add small amounts of water throughout service to account for the loss of water. Basically add back what is evaporating. Just be careful not to add too much or you can lose TOO much flavor. 
A true Italian old school bolognese has pork/beef, guanciale/pancetta, onion, carrot, wine, tomato, milk and herbs/spices.    If you are doing a red sauce with some crumbled sausage or meat, that is Americanized "meat sauce." Not that its bad, mind you, but I might stay away from calling it Bolognese. 
You should get a weekend job in the best kitchen you can find washing dishes/prep or something to see if you still want to do it.    Odds are you'll know pretty fast if you want to/can stick with it.    Don't quit your job before experiencing things first hand. Just don't. You might find you are better off cooking as a hobby and hosting dinner parties on the weekend, etc. 
thx I'll try it