or Connect

Posts by Someday

I agree, I think a squirt of water right as the lid goes down will help a lot. There is no reason to put the burger in a warmer...   I personally wouldn't use American cheese, just too fake tasting IMO for a great burger.    Don't overthink it...   I also don't understand the point of a "smashburger" and what it is supposed to do. I've eaten at a smashburger before and totally didn't get it. I mean, the burger was fine, but the whole idea to me was completely silly....
I have a couple suggestions:       These would be good for a bartender! Let me know how they work out :)
Sodium citrate can be awesome when used right. It can give something a "velveeta" texture if not careful (or indeed, if that is what you want it can be a boon) but it has a few applications I've used before. I've done it to make a "fonduta" for things like dumplings and gnocchi before. I've made beer cheese soup before, with excellent results. I've even used it to make a cheese "queso" dip at an employee party that resembled the velvetta stuff but that, quite frankly, was...
 Uh, I think I found the problem.  You are setting that for about a mid well doneness for that steak, with potential for hitting well done. With sous vide I wouldn't go much higher than 133F, I think 130 is pretty ideal personally.  6 hours is WAY too long. I'd imagine you'd start to see degradation at that point, all the texture is probably all screwed up. Depending on the thickness of the cut, you need an hour...maybe 2, max.  Both grass fed and grain fed beef are...
 Have we gotten to that point that waiting a day and taking off the fat is being supplanted by using a hair dryer to blow it off? I think a similar effect to what you are describing is achieved by moving the pot halfway off the burner so the scum collects on one side. I've never felt the need to dedicate a hair drier to this purpose. 
 Trash gets thrown out. That is called "trim" or "scraps."  I also don't personally use peels in my veg stock, but most other stuff is fair game to me. 
I would say yes then, it is probably OK. Most likely it won't be QUITE as good as a standalone, but if that is all you are going to use it for I would think it would suffice. 
If you are talking about flashing things, melting cheese, browning crust, toasting brioche, and things similar to that, it should be fine. If you need it to cook steaks and proteins and stuff, it's probably not the same. You don't mean a standalone broiler like at a steakhouse, do you? I think it mostly depends on what you do with it. For basic stuff though, yeah, it should be just fine.
Like a little humility? Agreed. Humbleness and a servants heart are great things for a chef to have, and a great chef has those things.
Usually sorbets with those types of things are just a matter of adding sugar syrup and whatever other flavoring you want to make it. The sugar will help the sorbet not to be too icy, as will a small amount of alcohol. Too much and then your sorbet stays too soft and won't freeze properly. Remember too that the freezing process will dull some of the flavor too, so while your sorbet base might be a touch too sweet or acidic, when it is churned the flavor lessens.