Posts by Someday

44 items on the dinner menu? Ridiculous. Why would anyone even attempt that, there is almost no chance of quality control, product rotation, etc with a menu that big, unless you are like the Cheesecake Factory or something and have an army of employees. They are better off figuring out what kind of restaurant they want to be and focusing on that. That's just madness.
Agreed. The hardest part is being able to recover and move on and not let it spiral you out of control. You're an apprentice? Mistakes come with the territory. Just try not to keep making The same mistakes. You'll be fine.
 You just described 90% of chefs jobs out there. Equipment failures, employee issues, vender problems, owners/bosses talking about food cost, labor cost, writing new menus, etc.  Get rid of the dead weight. If they aren't working out or working fast enough, get new people in there. Sometimes there is an adjustment period for people that have never worked in restaurants before, so I like to give those people some time to adjust (while still setting expectations) but if they...
I've done this before several times, most recently as an upmarket take on a lobster roll (seafood mousseline with chunks of lobster on a mini parker house roll, that sort of thing).    A recipe can be found almost anywhere...I find that scallops work well as a base, but any lean white fish should work (sole, etc).    My main advice would be to pass the mousse through a tamis before you fold in your garnish. So make your mousse in your robot, then pass through a tamis...
 You can buy it online, probably from Amazon or willpowder.net. A google search should give you some options pretty fast.  Its great for a lot of things...I've made some killer beer cheese soup with it, queso style dip for parties, etc. I usually throw my mix into a blender, but you don't need to if you don't want. 
I don't feel like less of a chef because I don't hand chop my pesto...
8 Hours is probably too long for a cut like that. Some cuts would hold up and need that amount of time, or even longer (36-72 hours) but a ribeye runs the risk of getting mushy and mealy. I wouldn't recommend it.    I'd say you are probably fine for about 4 hours...but after that you run the risk of mushiness. The ice batch/remote start is a good idea...probably your best bet.    Is there a reason you can't just start it 1-2 hours before serving?   EDIT: There might...
I don't understand why you are re-poaching the eggs in a pot after you've sous vided them, unless you think your customers won't go for them straight out of the shell after SV.   You might try increasing your time on the sous vide by about 20 mins. I find that an hour in the water bath firms up the yolks just a bit, and seems to make them easier to peel.    You should also strain off the loose white before you serve. I imagine that this loose white stuff is what is...
I usually just sit on my food I need to thaw, mother hen style...is that not OK?
Much better!!