or Connect

Posts by ChrisBelgium

Truffles don't keep forever! Keep them in a tightly closed jar in uncooked rice. If you add raw eggs too, they will absorb the flavor of the truffle and will make a fantastic omelet. Want to enjoy your truffle as long as you want? Here's something easy to make.Truffle butter; cut some unsalted butter in cubes and bring to room temperature. Grate your truffle finely and add to the butter. Mix well using a fork. Put the truffle butter on a large sheet of plastic wrap film...
Simply use a simple ganache base like with other chocolate sauces; Cut the chocolate finely and put in a bowl. Bring the same weight of cream to a boil and pour over the chocolate, stir until it becomes a smooth consistency. To be served warm (it becomes a paste once cooled).   You can use less cream and add other liquids to the cream like liqueurs and fruitjuices. The amount of cream and/or other liquids used is not critical at all, you can play with it to get a...
For neophytes in french cooking, I very highly recommend this older cookbook called "The food of France"; http://www.amazon.com/Food-France-Journey-Lovers-World/dp/1740454715/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1410886168&sr=8-5&keywords=french+cuisine+murdoch+books   It contains nearly 300 popular French dishes that everyone should have in their repertoire if they are serious about going into French cuisine.   In the same series you will also find "The food of Italy", also highly...
Found a few more dishes in my albums on this forum:   Courgette stuffed with beef, feta and pistacchios     Rice boiled with the "absorption method". Sauce made with the pulp of the courgettes and saffron   Stuffed peppers, pilav rice and a cold tahini/Greek yoghurt/garlic/cumin  sauce       Indonesian babi pangang and jasmine rice       Risotto made with red wine and beetroot, served with chicken liver     Siduri inspired me for this risotto. Still the...
In Belgium, all supermarkets sell specific potatoes for making fries. They are the right variety and the right size potatoes. Most of these potatoes are the variety "Bintje". They can be found in many European countries. From what I read here on this forum, in the US, the best alternative seems to be the "Yukon" variety. I would stick to those if they are proven to deliver the best result. Why re-invent the wheel (which doesn't mean you cannot experiment with other types...
I'm a Belgian and we are known world-wide for our fries. Some time ago I posted how we make them here;   http://www.cheftalk.com/t/66217/in-search-of-the-perfect-french-fry#post_354015   This is what I posted then;   - Choise of potatoes. This is imperative to make good frites. Look for potatoes with very little sugar in them! If they contain too much sugar, your frites will look darkbrown instead of golden as they should look, and they will be soggy and bwaaah, no...
I'm still in the middle of the renovation of my home but the builders have to pause because the floors went in. There's a lot to be done yet during the coming weeks, so I still can't cook properly. But, for what it's worth, I picked some of my rice dishes that I already posted here. Some are very recent, others aren't.   Risotto with fresh spinach and medaillons of chicken fillet     Rural paella with rabbit, quail, merguez, chorizo     Pilav rice with chicken...
Risotto with fresh spinach and chicken fillet medaillons   This is the only dish I can post that was made last week. Got the builders in my house since last monday and I will be very quiet here for the next couple of weeks.  
Pork tenderloin, leeks, potato and spicy cream sauce   Leeks steamed, new potatoes boiled; both panfried in the pan in which the tenderloin was fried while resting. Sauce made with shallot, garlic, stock, tomato purée, tomato concassé, cream, harissa, fresh oregano and fresh sage.  
FF, Destrooper is now in quite a lot of countries. While visiting the factory, I tasted "ginger thins" and another cookie with a lot of cinnamon in it plus candied apple. Both aren't sold in Belgium because ginger in particular and the other cookie aren't appreciated that much over here. The ginger thins go to the UK and the USA. Beware however for the price; they may seem not all that expensive, but when looking at the net weight in the packages, they all the sudden are...