or Connect

Posts by ChrisBelgium

Porcini polenta and meatballs   An improvisation and something incredibly easy but so tasteful; porcini polenta. I used dried porcini, blitzed into a coarse powder. Ratio liquid/polenta is 5/1. Liquid is 50/50 water/milk. Bring to a boil with s&p and the porcini powder. Let simmer for a while, then add the polenta and cook as usual. At the end add a little parmesan and salted butter... Here served with homemade meatballs in a tomato sauce. This was a try-out for...
The "Dos Equis" video remembered me of an advertising campaign that ran in the 1950-60 period. I was in advertising in most of my professional life and was a great admirer of David Ogilvy (Ogilvy & Mather), who turned Schweppes into a huge success using "Commander Whitehead" as the face of the campaign. You'll see where Dos Equis got their inspiration. This is how the Schweppes campaign looked over 50 years ago...  
Have you noticed, they are suddenly everywhere, the bearded men, perfectly groomed. Have you noticed too how classy they are dressed? Expensive watches and ditto shoes... what's happening?   What's your opinion on the new men's style? I kind of like it!      
Butzy, Ish, Petal; I can't wait to go back! There's something really nice about having few tourists around at this time of the year; I'm pretty sure the Spanish locals are glad too! The only thing is that I always need a lot of recuperation time when back in my country. My days in Spain are always so overfilled.
Pasta vongole   Or squid ink linguini with cockles if you like. Lots of garlic, cockles steamed until barely done. Too bad I didn't make the pasta myself or I would gladly have posted this in the "flour" challenge.  
I'm very convinced you would love this area too, FF! Since almost 30 years I keep going back to the Malaga region. The last 3 years now always in November/December since I no longer like high temperature. Most tourists are gone by that time but the area is now filled with Spanish people from the northern parts of Spain who come to visit. Temperatures go around an average 18-22°C, perfect for my daily long marathon walks. The area is all about good living and good food...
I'm back from my trip to Andalucia, Spain, the Malaga region as usual. Each time I'm completely overwhelmed by the food presented in the central food market. Look and drool;    My souvenirs I brought back. Chorizo from bellota and Iberico ham of course. I bought all of that at El Corte Ingles, not the market.    Beautiful architectural element in Malaga's harbor.   There's garlic and garlic. If it's not pink like this, I don't want it.   Even the smallest fishes are...
I use Hokkaido for many years now. It has a few reasons. The very ferm flesh is imo tastier and deeper colored than any other, a bit on the same level as butternut. Secondly I don't have a lot of mouths to feed, that's why the small Hokkaidos (and butternuts) fit in for me.  
I see no benefit at all from marinating this kind of meat. Marinating is used to tenderize tougher meat and give it a flavor at the same time. Chicken breast is so tender that marinating seems so redundant to me, except maybe to add a flavor. In that case I would strongly suggest to throw out your store bought marinade.     As an alternative to your marinade try this; Put the breasts in a plastic bag, add a few tbsp. of sunflower oil, add thinly sliced fresh garlic, add...
Pork tenderloin with turnips and pumpkin   Turnip and pumpkin (Hokkaido) were cut out in balls, then steamed. The rest was cooked in chicken stock to be used for soup. Before blending the soup, I used some of the cooking liquid to make a sauce; deglaze the frying pan with red wine, add said liquid, reduce, mount with butter... delicious!