or Connect

Posts by ChrisBelgium

Carbonara made with Spanish chorizo and grated cabra   This experiment is a revelation. The eggs in there are universal but who says you need to use pancetta and Italian cheese? The chorizo was very slightly panfried, then I added a little left-over garlic and parsley butter.    
 A few hours, soaking timing is not critical at all. Of course, you need to dry the livers before proceeding. FF, the leaves are blood sorrel from my garden.
I think it's high time for a few people to start to experiment with different kinds of stock. My grandmothers would turn in their graves when they saw the poor chicks that are now used to make stock. In the old days, chicken stock was made from old hens, never from tasteless 4 week old chickies.   Anyway, I grab for these bouillon pastes whenever needed for tweaking quickly a sauce or even to be used in a soup. I have to encounter the first individual that will detect...
Here you go, Luc. The Belgian chocolate candy "Chokotoff" is one of the most popular treats made by Côte d'Or since... 1936.   https://www.cotedor.be/produits/Chokotoff%20Noir?p=3502
First and most important step is to clean them thoroughly; remove all veins and the dark thingies if any. Soak in ice-and-ice-cold milk to remove remaining blood and other impurities which will make the livers bitter!   This is how I proceed; Fry on very high heat in sunflower oil for just a few minutes. Too long in the pan and you'll end up with disgusting grainy livers! Remove from the pan, reduce the fire to medium, add some chopped shallots (much more refined than...
Chocotoff is the name, made by Côte d'Or, Belgain stuff of course, chocolate outside and chocolate caramel inside. No idea how they're made but they are very addictive!  
Me and my whole generation have been tingled since 1969 with this song from Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin. It guaranteed full dancefloors with very little light at that time! The song was written by Gainsbourg to be sung with Brigitte Bardot but Gunther Sachs didn't like his wife to do it. Now, the song is revived in this Dior commercial. It still triggers a lot of memories (no further comments) and a big smile on my face. So,... tingle this;  
Moules à l'escargot   Mussels prepared the same way escargots (snails) are served; a gratin made with a mix of butter, parsley, garlic, shallot, s&p.  
In France and Spain, they sell roasted chestnuts in the streets. Simply use a heavy pan and throw in the chestnuts. Their peel will turn black but you have to stir them frequently. No fat is used in the pan. It's a very smoky thing, so I would do this in the garden using an old pan, put straight into the charcoals of your bbq. Here's a picture I took in Malaga, Spain;     Also, you can make a delicious purée too, but it's a lot of work. Make cross incisions with a...
 This is the secret about making an excellent stew; set it aside overnight! All flavors merge in this resting period into a fantastic ensemble. @ordo thanks for the recipe!