or Connect

Posts by ChrisBelgium

Make something easy but very tasty and make it look spectacular. And above all, make something using a lot that can be prepped in advance. The dish above is so simple; - panfried salmon dipped in sesame seeds, fried last minute. - combination of vegetables; previously boiled potatoes, cut in small chunks and panfried (which will add a nice different crunchy texture). Green beans boiled 8 minutes, cut in smaller sizes, scallion, red chili, radish. Add all the other...
Isn't it supposed to smell like blue cheese? I distinctly remember an edition of Heston Blumenthal cooking his best steak ever, where he visited a place in NY where they aged their beef. His remark was the smell of blue cheese in the aging room.   I also seem to remember that he transferred the smell of a slice of blue cheese (Roquefort) between two slices of butter. The butter takes the cheese smell and taste and was used to cook the steak...
Thanks guys!   Yesterday I was watching "Masterchef Professionals" on the BBC. The 3 finalists were taken to San Sebastian in the North-East of Spain (Basque country). There they were guests at, and also cooked, at Mugaritz, one of the top restaurants on a global scale. I believe I was watching with my mouth open for the whole time. My God, I know nothing about cooking! This was culinary art from another planet...
 I used around a large heaped tbsp. on around 2 liters. Not so sure about exact measurements when cooking "au pif"...
Sorry for going a bit off-topic, but the OP didn't mention what type or size of knives he/she is looking for? I mean, lately I find myself using this 210 mm slicer over and over again for slicing of course, but also for prepping food. Love the long micarta handle!   Kanetsugu Saiun Damascus from JCK. I wiped off the logo with synthetic thinner. When restoring a bit of the Damascus look, trying to wipe out scratches, I use a worn-out 1200 grit sandpaper that you can find...
I have extended hands-on experience with both and I still do not understand where that obstruction comes from towards the Damascus knife on this forum! May I ask why exactly you wouldn't go for it? Please, don't go for that "chippy" argument again,... all knives chip, especially when not used with respect. Hattori's damascus is a fantastic knife; quite heavy compared to other similar knives, which is simply a benefit for a cooking knife, as in stability and less force to...
Using flour in a "blanc"...   I wonder if there are more people around here who use this classic cooking technique, a "blanc", which is used to boil white solid vegetables in order to keep them white. Celeriac, Jerusalem artichokes, kardoon, salsify, cauliflower...  all come out nicely white when boiled in this concoction. How to proceed? Bring a large pan of water to a boil. Add a large heaped tbsp. of plain wheat flour to a bowl and add a little cold water. Whisk...
Porcini polenta and meatballs   An improvisation and something incredibly easy but so tasteful; porcini polenta. I used dried porcini, blitzed into a coarse powder. Ratio liquid/polenta is 5/1. Liquid is 50/50 water/milk. Bring to a boil with s&p and the porcini powder. Let simmer for a while, then add the polenta and cook as usual. At the end add a little parmesan and salted butter... Here served with homemade meatballs in a tomato sauce. This was a try-out for...
The "Dos Equis" video remembered me of an advertising campaign that ran in the 1950-60 period. I was in advertising in most of my professional life and was a great admirer of David Ogilvy (Ogilvy & Mather), who turned Schweppes into a huge success using "Commander Whitehead" as the face of the campaign. You'll see where Dos Equis got their inspiration. This is how the Schweppes campaign looked over 50 years ago...  
Have you noticed, they are suddenly everywhere, the bearded men, perfectly groomed. Have you noticed too how classy they are dressed? Expensive watches and ditto shoes... what's happening?   What's your opinion on the new men's style? I kind of like it!