or Connect

Posts by ChrisBelgium

Hahahaha...I knew you would drool all over those maatjes, Butzy. And they were so good, simply and very literally melting in the mouth. Looks like only you and Gene are probably the few ones who know what maatjes are. They are particularly delicious this year due to the very high fat content. We -us Belgians- are also desperately looking forward to the next goodie coming from Holland in a good month's time.... mussels from Zeeland... mmmmmmmm!
"Maatjes" or "Maatjesharing" or "Hollandse Nieuwe"...   We're now in the season that our neighbours from Holland produce a lot of this delicacy, but what is it? They start catching these fishes in May.It's raw fish, more specific new young (virginal) herring that just reached this stage where it has a minimum fat content of... 16%. This year the fat content seems to be a lot higher. It is always sold like in the picture. Raw, salted and it has been in the freezers for at...
Duck breast... with a tiny bit of Indian inspiration   I'm enjoying reading about Indian cuisine these days, so maybe I was a bit under the influence when I made this yesterday. There's a mix of spicy bell peppers at the bottom, pimped with lots of onions and spices that were cooked first for a very long time (makes all the difference!). The raw potato chunks were cooked separately with mustard seeds (no parboiling). Duck was panfried only. At the end, several times...
That would be also my choice if I ever had another tough knife to thin.
A lot of wonderful dishes this last day! @oldschool1982 Thanks for your explanations! Your yeast pastry is quite interesting!     Meatballs in fresh tomato sauce with bulgur and chermoula   I found these fresh San Marzano tomatoes in our supermarket, grown in my very own country. Obviously not grown in open air but what a great ingredient to make a tomato sauce with. After the sauce was made, I sieved it but I added a generous tbsp. of freshly made chermoula just...
Interesting suggestion, @oldschool1982 , never heard of that technique. You do mean that the spinach wilts under the influence of the other ingredients, don't you?    Could you please repeat shortly how your Italian savory pastry is made? I'm still looking for alternatives. Ordo posted this interesting video for making quiche and empenada pastry with basically flour and beef fat. Still have to try that out too;...
I know my friend, it's still on my to do list
I have a King 220/800 combo. The 220 was mainly used to thin a white steel knife dramatically. It's not the stone but the toughness of the steel that hollowed the stone out after a long day of work. Obviously, the 800 is a good next step. A 1k should be ok too.       The left picture shows the state of the knife when I bought it. On the right after the thinning.     Started with thinning that part of the knife but I needed to thin it much higher.  It doesn't show, but...
Spinach & ricotta quiche   I used a 1 kilo (2lb) pack of fresh baby spinach, 250 gram of ricotta and 100 gram cream plus 2 whole eggs, a small handfull of grated parmezan, a few slices of dried prosciutto cut in small strips. Dough made from 200 gram flour, 100 gram butter, 1 egg, 2 tbsp. of milk, salt. The spinach was wilted in a large non-stick wok in a little olive oil, after sweating 2 cloves of garlic with a sprinkle of chili flakes. Season well! Leave to cool a...
Thanks LJ. I didn't found it for my previous post but was looking for the following picture too, where the same vinaigrette salée is used, only a bit thicker and with herbs in it. It's a salad with panfried halloumi cheese on top.