or Connect

Posts by ChrisBelgium

Some very interesting suggestions to play with, guys, thanks! I ate the rest straight from the package. The name "craisins" says it all when it comes to the resemblance with raisins. I love this stuff!
Yesterday I  made a discovery by using "dried cranberries" in a salad. I opened this package that lived silently and undisturbed in my home for over a year now, thinking it had to go, but I tasted first... wooooow! Little did I know that these "dried" cranberries have the texture of raisins but a much better balance of sweet and sour compared to raisins. I was expecting hard-dried fruits. I added a handful to my salad improvisation yesterday and ended up with a stunning...
Summery carrot and orange salad with turkey   It was such a nice and hot day, yesterday. Made an improvised salad that will stay on my frequent play-list. Grated carrot sprinkled with a lot of tarragon vinegar. In that goes Belgian endives finely cut, radish, scallion and orange segments which go so well with carrot. And, a true discovery; a handful of dried cranberries. Also, pan fried turkey breast, cut in large slices, rolled in a mixture of sesamy seeds, cumin...
@oldschool1982 you must be a very loving and caring man to cook "à la carte" for your family! Hat off for such sacrifice. Me, I'm more a "plat du jour" (and that's it) kind of cook   ...
Indeed, they need to be pre-boiled in the cream/milk mixture and certainly not in water! That particular cream/milk mixture has to used in the oven dish too. And, the potato slices cannot be rinsed at all, you need the starch that covers the slices. The real point of precooking is that all your potatoes will be cooked evenly. When you start with a cold preparation there will always be a range of unevenly cooked potatoes. I cut my slices at approx. 3-4 mm. If you pre-boil...
Capellini pasta with artichokes, prosciutto and pistacchio pesto   Shortly braised fresh artichokes and prosciutto, freshened with lemon juice and a handful of quartered cherry tomatoes. Pesto from pistachio, parsley, garlic, parmesan, olive oil and quite a lot of fresh lemon juice. Part of the pesto went into the braised artichokes preparation, a dollup of it on top with some shavings of parmesan.  
No dought, there must be a range of type of potatoes that are fit for this use, Ross. I mentioned Charlotte because I thought I remembered that @kimmit lives in France where that variety is widely available. Good of you to add a suggestion that will be more suitable for readers on the other side of the Pond.
"D.O.M." by Brazilian extravagant chef Alex Atala, a book called after the name of his restaurant. I browsed his book a few times but I didn't buy it because he uses a lot of totally unknown ingredients from his country. Stunning book, more an art book.   I just bought "Poissons un art du Japon" written by Chihiro Masui (it's a she) and photography by Richard Haughton. It's in French, don't know if there's an English version. Same comment as above but this book has a...
Spanish food also gives me such enjoyable flash-backs of good times spent in Spain, Clove.
I'm behind both Kuan's options for this "gratin dauphinois" as it's called.   Since I saw the famous Ann Sophie Pic demonstrate how she makes them, I always use her method; Use waxy potatoes. I prefer type "Charlotte". Boil the slices in the milk/cream/garlic/bay leaf/s&p mixture for 3 minutes. Transfer the potato slices with a slotted spoon to your ovendish, then cover with the liquid. Bake at 180°C. This method takes about 40-45 minutes. Adding cheese (a bit of...