or Connect

Posts by ChrisBelgium

Quiche   I always use a lot of fresh vegetables, so evidently there's a lot of left-overs after last week. Time for a quiche! This went in; 1 large carrot, 1 large parsnip, 1 courgette, 3 leeks, a bunch of fresh cilantro, and fresh parsley and a thick slice of Casseler rib cut in lardons. The "appareil" is made with 300 ml cream and 4 whole eggs and seasoning. I used storebought good quality "pur beurre" puff pastry.   Normally that large amount of vegetables would...
I have made yoghurt in my... oven and it works perfectly. As long as the lowest position on your oven is around 50°C, you're in business.
 You're not very different than many other people; you want a nice looking knife that cuts well. I have this idea that you mean "Gekko" instead of Goko. Gekko has that hammered finish but is made of stainless VG10. However, there are many Gekko clones.I recently found this website where I found this Gekko clone that might interest you (choice of type/size is up to you, who are we to decide your...
This years BBC's Jools Holland Hootenanny on NYE was brilliant as always. Life performers this year; Jools Holland's Rhythm and Blues Orchestra, Ronnie Spector, Ed Sheeran, Boz Scaggs, Paolo Nutini, Ellie Goulding, William Bell, Paloma Faith, Wilko Johnson, Clean Bandit, Jess Glynne, Joss Stone, Ruby Turner, Hayseed Dixie.   And what an out-stan-ding performance by Joss Stone...   This was the first time I saw Boz scags with one of my favorite songs; Lowdown. Such a...
Most of the argan oil is now produced by berber women who stepped into a humanitary aid program that is set up to give these women some independence, which is not an evidence in Morocco at all. Nothing really much to laugh about imo. These tiny argan nuts are many times tougher than -say- hazelnuts. They are manually cracked open -one by one- by these women, then processed into oil that mostly finds its way to Switzerland for the cometic industry. Such a shame, argan is...
Foie gras and a glass of Pineau des Charentes   Enjoyed this apèritif so much while cooking. The foie gras is storebought. Toasts are a speciality from Bruges.     Venison in a blackBerry sauce   The sauce is a reduction of berries in red wine (I used tempranillo) and a small sprinkle of sugar (taste for acidity first!). Then veal stock is added and reduced again. Season well. Mount with butter.  
@njasak I hope you used maximum 1 or 2 bayleafs and did not mix them in the soup, that would explain a lot! Bayleafs need to be removed before mixing the soup as you might know.
Many years ago I bought a very small bottle of argan oil in Morocco, maybe 200 ml. The smell and taste is incredibly nutty. I never cooked with it but used some on salads.   Nowadays, I wouldn't know where to buy real argan oil. Nearly all of the trade goes to cosmetics. Even in Morocco they will sell you argan oil but in reality it's fake. If you're lucky it's a bit of argan and a lot of other oil...
... 4 hours to make a soup? You must very patient. Personally I would go for the traditional method of making a soup like this. It takes only 20-30 minutes to cook.That is not counting the time to sweat (not sauteeing!) the veggies. The longer you sweat them the better your soup will turn out. Also, always season the veggies when sweating them. I usually sweat them for a good 10-15 minutes... minimum, including the potatoes. The cooking time of soups like this is mostly...
And a very happy new year from Belgium.