or Connect

Posts by ChrisBelgium

What's the use of me answering when you ignore my answer to your question in post #4? Please tell me if you're not interested in my replies, it will save me unnecessary work. FYI;Your post #4;"My understanding is that this dish is simular to a custard, so with that knowledge, is the center a bit too loose?" My reply from post #6;"A clafoutis is mostly served luke-warm or cold. When served warm, the filling will feel somewhat loose. When served cold, you can easily cut a...
When I go the weekly market (every now and then), my first stop is the coffee trailer of the "KoffieQueen" that is posted between the market stalls. It's always such fun to have an excellent coffee while sitting at the long tables the owner installed. The owner is a girl who was a graphic designer. She now has 3 trailers in the running, serving the best barista coffees and a bite like croissants etc. And... no plastic cups, no paper cups at all!!! She uses second hand...
Aubergines with almond pesto   One of those "no meat" days. Aubergines, or eggplants in your money, panfried in oil until done; at least 15 minutes per batch! Pesto made with freshest basil, blanched almonds, parmesan, lemon juice, s&p, garlic. Few tomatoes added that had to disappear. Sprinkle of almonds.   But what kind of bread is that?  
Congratulations to World Cup winner Germany and Argentina and Holland for the silver and bronze!
The cherry pie I posted above is not a clafoutis at all. A clafoutis has no pastry. There is a little resemblance with clafoutis in the filling of that pie, that's why I used the left-over appareil for those 2 blueberry clafoutis, which have no pastry.   A clafoutis is mostly served luke-warm or cold. When served warm, the filling will feel somewhat loose. When served cold, you can easily cut a slice off. The pie that I served was still a bit warm, so the center was a...
I'm not all that young anymore and I still remember the time where it was absolutely not done to ask a chef in his restaurant for a recipe. That would have been such bad manners. Many times there was no salt and pepper on the table as you were not allowed to interfere with what the chef served. Adding seasoning was simply an insult to the chef... Nowadays restaurants are full with amateur cooks making pictures of their food with there cell phones! I'm quite sure, in older...
I believe they are 2 different names for the same product, Ross. Almond powder (or flour) is always a bit coarse; it's the yellow-ish powder on top in the first picture. Nothing more than 100% ground blanched almonds.
I look at recipes as being guidelines. Many times I will do my own interpretations.   Last week I made a "rural" pealla as I called it, based on a recipe by Miguel Maestre, a spanish chef living in Australia. He called the dish "Mountain paella". That name he uses is most likey based upon the "mar y montanã" recipe concepts, which is spanish for "surf and turf" or, sea and mountain in spanish.   He uses rabbit, quail, chorizo and morcilla (blood sausage). I used...
Made a cherry pie & blueberry clafoutis yesterday. Recipe; http://www.cheftalk.com/t/81415/cherry-pie-blueberry-clafoutis