or Connect

Posts by ChrisBelgium

@Pepper Grind   So much can be said about adding garnish and about plating. One thing I try to do is to always integrate garnish in the dish. There's no such thing as a plate plus garnish, it has to be one. In the picture you posted, I would encourage you to do another dish using a bell pepper cut like that. My suggestion would be to use it as a "source" from which interior your food starts flowing in a small stream, getting more and more wider further away. Try to plate...
 I wouldn't trust a food writer with a recipe called osso buko. Also, a recipe has to be clear for any cook, beginner and other cooks. You can certainly use a glass lid on a pot... or a pan. At least, that's what I do when making ossobuco. I made another one yesterday. I use a stainless large pan in which all the pieces of meat can be put next to each other, not on top of each other; very important when braising all kinds of food, that's why pans with a lid are more fit...
 Glorious!  Rosemary, garlic, s&p are the only traditional additions that have proven to be perfect on a gigot. Nice and pink, that's how I like it too. Bravo, very nice result!!
Ossobuco in bianco   Normally I make this with a saffron risotto. I have served this ossobuco also with polenta fries. This time it's "pommes de terre rissolées" as I know it and google tanslator says you call it hash brown. To be sure; those potatoes cubes aren't pre-cooked. Just fried on medium low fire for around 30 minutes.  
Witlof flammkuchen   What? Witlof are Belgian endives. Flammkuchen is the german name for the French tarte flambée. This is an experiment going fantastically well. Halve and braise the witlof on low fire in butter for at least 30 minutes, 45 minutes is better. Add 2 tbsp of water only if strictly necessary. Remove the lid the last 10 minutes to be sure all liquid is gone. I used a lazy, store bought pizza bottom . Give it a thick layer of sour cream, add braised...
And a little more specific...  
Ah yes, saucisses flambées, lovely!
I thought that a chaud-froid was always made with a velouté (roux + stock) + cream + gelatin. But when you think of it, a béchamel could indeed be used as well instead of a velouté. Many times I make a béchamel as usual (roux + milk) and add a tsp of bouillon paste. Works so well!
Thanks RR, it's nice to hear from a perfectionist how precise they work in their kitchen. Consistency is so important to keep clients happy.Interesting twist using cold béchamel and I can imagine you need to add a lot more flavor to it than normal.
Thanks for sharing that recipe too, Jim!