or Connect

Posts by TKChef

Well put Ed!   A wise, successful chef/owner told me as I became involved in this industry said everything he attributed to his success was what he thought about in preparation before he entered his restaurant.  He said if he did not he put at risk the talented people that worked for him.  He said it was his job to make them successful.   That always stuck with me.  It definitely stuck with the people that worked for him.
The one thing to think about going abroad is the cost of travel.  The Euro's strength makes it very expensive right now to do so.  The reason cooking school is an option is because it is almost all inclusive once you get there.  There is another program which is 3 months - Google the Italian Culinary Institute and look at the masters program.  The prices are on the site as well as the cirriculum. You will need a student visa for your schooling.  Most programs circulate...
Great info...thanks!
The replies posted were all great!  If I can add a couple of thoughts...   1)  Read "The Making of a Chef" by Michael Ruhlman.  Keep in mind there is a reason you are considering the profession.  It will help you. 2)  Two schools to look into to complete your research process (though there are many great ones). The Italian Culinary Institute - You gain cooking experience from one of the top schools, and learn abroad in Italy as well as New York.  Culinary institute...
Interruption.  I always trained my servers not to interrupt a conversation and wait for the customer to acknowledge them, and to walk away if they sense the conversation is deeper than the deep dish pie they hope to serve them.     Upselling, upselling, upselling.  I always try to strike conversations with servers to get the inside scoop on those questions, then I ask, "how many times out of ten do you sell a drink, appetizer or dessert the customer wasn't planning...
I reread The Making of a Chef.  Keeps things in perspective...
I  think a good simple example of a deconstructed dish that seems to being growing in popularity these days is the Deconstructed Chicken Pot Pie.  (work with me - this is not the Food Network .   Prepared without a tin or dish with no crusty base, it is served on a plate with a flaky baked rosemary crust placed on top (centered, but not to the edges) just prior to serving, with a separately prepared light, creamy sauce within an inch of the edge, loaded with slightly...
I would definitely try it at a friends house.  Or, maybe a distant relative...
Sounds like a story there!  When I started my restaurant in Paris I put a lot of thought into the direction and theme and subsequently the name.  I started with a culinary map of the world (in my mind), but ended up with a simple menu that I felt strongly would attract clientele. It worked.  I took more time deciding on the theme, menu and name than I did the decision to open my cafe.   I lived in OC as well as Long Beach and the Valley and spent a decade in SoCal...
As a private chef you should brand yourself based on your personal style as much as your cooking style.  In what area of the country are you going to be cooking?  What is your demographic?  I just spoke to two owners that were not having the results they expected and I pointed out their store names as part of the reason (layout and selection were others).  Also, they created what they wanted on the menu vs what the demos indicated.  There was another Chef/owner I spoke...