or Connect

Posts by Benuser

You're most welcome.
All excellent points by Millionsknives. Brittleness is often related to weak factory edges. Remove some steel. That being said, the AS by Hiromoto isn't specially brittle at all, and the Rc claim of 63-64 is, as usual, to be taken with a grain of salt.
We expect far too much. The very pleasant sharp feeling of an edge coming from the stones won't last. And isn't needed for most kitchen work. A few suggestions though. Don't use the rod. It is an emergency tool. It helps to redress a failing edge but fatigues the steel a bit more. Better use a much finer medium as Cr2O3, leather, denim, cardboard or newspaper. It won't last either, but causes less damage. Better have the failing steel abraded on your finest stone. If it...
AFAIK Goldhamster has been renamed Solicut some years ago, or, more exactly, it has been taken over.
http://www.zknives.com/knives/kitchen/ktknv/hiromoto/hiromoto240gyuto.shtml
A symmetric edge with the same thickness will wedge a bit more than an asymmetric edge, but this won't solve the Masamoto problem with 0.5mm right behind the edge according to our German counterparts, where you expect less than the half. An experienced sharpener may perform the necessary geometry change with the right equipment. But were you looking for a project knife when you bought the Masamoto?? Let your reseller save the problem.
The thickness behind the edge in recent batches has been noticed before. http://www.messerforum.net/showthread.php?126705-Review-aus-f%FCnf-Blickwinkeln-Masamoto-HC-Gyuto&highlight=Masamoto I'm rather surprised by the absence of a distal taper. That's what I like about old school French and Sheffield blades, so I understand your disappointment. Return it.
The core steel of the ZEN series is VG-10, an excellent stainless steel, but its maintenance is a bit more complicated than with some other steel types. With some you may keep the edge relatively coarse, not so with VG-10, where you need a very fine stone to abrade the last burr vestiges. So, you need three stones: one in the 800-1200 range, one in the 3000 range and one in the 6000+ range. The Naniwa Pro -- former Chosera -- work very well with this type of steel.
Today, the AS 190mm santoku has become available again.
From those, I would certainly choose the Hiromoto, as its maker, Mr Nagao, is a very serious guy and most competent regarding heat treatment. That being said, I wouldn't ever buy a Damascus layered blade. It does not contribute in any way to its performance -- in fact, it makes the blade thicker. After a few months of use it looks far from appealing, and above all, it makes thinning to be followed by refinishing and reetching. Most of the Damascus blades have a VG-10 core...