or Connect

Posts by Benuser

You shouldn't expect the same degree of laxity with other custom officers as with our Dutch ones. If you order from outside the EU, be prepared for paying import tax, local VAT and handling costs.
The micarta version is a bit heavier than the ordinary, pakka one. Assuming blade and tang being the same, balance point will be moved towards the handle. With the pakka one it's at 1" in front of the bolster, now it will be above the heel or so. This might interest pinch grippers.
I don't know that device, but I guess the bevel has got quite large. The prominent shoulders cause friction that reduces performance. Get a cheap carbon steel blade and learn stone sharpening.
I should have mentioned this very simple way to verify whether you knife has become too thick: cut a carrot in the middle. If you hear it cracking, it hasn't been fully cut, it broke. The blade is too thick. Have it thinned.
If you sharpen only the edge without removing steel behind it, it will become thicker and thicker. With the same sharp edge you will end with an axe in your hand. This is because of the taper: the spine is some 2-3mm thick, the very edge a few micron. Every time you sharpen the edge is moved to a thicker part of the blade. That's why your sharpening should start behind the edge. By the way, how do you hone?
Almost any Japanese double-bevelled blade, except for lasers. And the edge is off-centered. More neutral, a modern French blade. http://www.sabatier-shop.com/2763-200---8-generations---ebony-wood-cooking-knife-10-in---200-range---g10-handle.html Go for the G10, the too young ebony is not treated and will shrink and swell. If you read German you may find some reviews with our friends of messerforum.net
No option for your cousin. As always with Hiromoto, a strong asymmetric grinding, asking for a strongly asymmetric edge. Neutralizing by thinning the left side behind the edge and recentering the edge is only a short-term solution and will require great sharpening skills further on to avoid crazy steering and wedging. Better have an inverted blade as offered by Masahiro and Misono -- but these only on special order. That's going to be a very expensive present, I'm afraid.
The Shun I've seen weren't that thin behind the edge and could use some major thinning.
Sorry, no decent camera here now. If you're looking for it as gift, better sharpen it -- just a few strokes will do to put a decent, strong edge on it. The OOTB is not workable, far to fine, just meant to ease your own first sharpening,
If you're going for pure performance: get the Aus-10 by Hiromoto. There is no reason to get scared by the low price. Just wonderful knives.