or Connect

Posts by Benuser

The Hiromoto Aus-10 is a great knife but you're supposed to put your own edge on it. Very little work, but you can't use it out of the box.
http://s19.postimg.org/4ng3ks17m/DSC_0008.jpg Hiromoto Aus-10 270mm
But please remember, Japanese knives tend to be made for right-handed. If they allow a great food release, that's fine -- for most -- but not for you.
I think there might be a problem using the knife day after day at school, in a non-kosher kitchen, to say the least, and use it night after night at home, after a kashering procedure. It might be bad for your knife, and may perhaps even make questionable your kosher householding. Kashering procedures are meant for reparing human errors, or leaving uncertainties, not for repetitive faults. Ask for specialized advise within your community, and consider the use of different...
Better consider both a gyuto and sujihiki, double bevelled, perhaps with an adapted geometry as you're left-handed. This retailer has them in stock.   http://www.knifemerchant.com/products.asp?productLine=44
I'm very cautious in this matter, as I'm too ignorant about all kind of requirements within kashrut. Far from me to tell people how to observe their own rules. However, I've noticed observant Jews use all kind of knives, and little errors within the kosher kitchen can be easily repaired. Wooden scales seem to be a problem indeed, POM or pakka not. Globals seem to be quite popular, I must say, have sharpened quite a few -- and have carefully observed sjabbes hours if I was...
About the FKH Fujiwara 270mm sujihiki, it's a great knive at a little price. The carbon steel is extremely reactive and needs a patina to stabilize. Otherwise, a great, remarkably stiff knife, but strongly right-biased. We will explain how to deal with that. I don't know the Kanehide, but from the choil picture I see it's very asymmetric. So the edge should be as well, or you will encounter crazy steering and/or wedging over time. But that isn't the vendor's first...
Sending back would be indeed the way to go. And taking your time in the next round.
Not willing to patronize, but seriously, most people never handled a really sharp knife, and certainly not one without a fingergard. Heel cuts aren't that clean at all. And just the stress of handling a sharp knife makes some do really stupid things. A bit of guidance might be useful.
I feel a bit uncomfortable with the idea of people with no knife skills handling such a knife. Asking for accidents if they perpetuate with a thin Japanese blade the same poor habits that may seem harmless with an average, dull blade.