or Connect

Posts by Benuser

Quite worrying in fact. Must have been obvious to a multitude of people involved since it occurred. Curiously, in the seventies Japanese have developed Quality Control at the lowest level instead of the only final stage control.
Stay away from the Artifex unless you're looking for a project knife.
I'm quite sure this vendor will respond in a responsible way.
Let us know what the vendor has to say about it. If he knows his job he won't hesitate and exchange it, or, even better, send you another one without exchange.
As far as I can see, it's not as it should be, and repair would be a major job with quite a loss of material. If this is the condition a brand new blade came to you, you should send it back.
I should add that with traditional sharpening you will flatten out any profile unless you take some precautions.
French chef knives have traditionally a deadly flat section, sometimes up to the half of the cutting edge. Used for cutting herbs, holding the blade with both hands, one at the bolster, the other one somewhere on the spine. Rock-choppers hate it because it gives an abrupt change in their motion. On vintages it mostly has disappeared due to overly steeling and been replaced by the well-known recurve belly. With old knives I tend to reproduce it to save some material and...
Can't compare, haven't used brand new MACs, but the last year Hiromotos came invariably with an excellent edge. There might be a few F&F issues, but nothing you can't solve within fifteen minutes with two grades of sandpaper.
Just wonder why the OP uses a diamond rod for maintenance. This steel deserves much better. I understand that classic Global users will miss the toothy sensation they're used to; actually, that was a weak point of the oldies as it undermined edge stability.
Sharpened tonight the 7.5" Sai for a friend. The steel's structure -- grain, carbides -- is much finer and more evenly distributed than with the classic Cromova. Sharpening is easier because the steel lacks the old's plasticity that makes burr pop-up after time. Cannot report about any difference in abrasion resistance because I started with a Chosera 800 that deals in very short time with both. After that stropping on a Chosera 2k, deburring only on a 5k and just for fun,...