or Connect

Posts by Benuser

Not sure whether this will help understanding how to sharpen Vics.
http://www.knivesandtools.de/de/pt/-naniwa-abrichtblock-kornung-24-a101.htm Not so sure whether you really need one. I guess you will feel whether you do or not encounter the necessary resistance. Even a very worn, concave stone will work.
https://forums.egullet.org/topic/26036-knife-maintenance-and-sharpening/?mode=linear Excerpts taken from Chad Ward's An Edge in the Kitchen
Thanks for sharing!
1. With the approach I proposed -- starting behind the edge -- once you've reached the very edge, you should raise the burr very quickly if the blade has been correctly maintained. Just a few strokes. There's no need to remove more steel once there's a burr.With a finer stone you will need more strokes to raise a burr. Doesn't make much difference. Anyway, these soft stainless are terribly abrasion resistant.2. I've sharpened quite a bit of Vics, usually in bad shape....
The reason I keep them that coarse is in the large carbides embedded in a soft matrix. Finer stones will weaken the matrix without abrading the large carbides who tend to break out. An instable edge is the result. This is even more pronounced with the Vics than with Wüsthofs and Zwillings I sharpen at 800 and might strop and deburr on a 2k.
Exactly. Now, as for the angle guide: no need for it. You start on side at a very low angle, raising the spine little by little. Verify your progress by looking at the scratch pattern. Go on untill you have raised a burr on the opposite side. Switch sides and do the same. The very edge will be cut at some 20 degree. Perhaps a piece of wood or cork cut at that angle is helpful as a reference.
Vics get a specially rough treatment with me. Naniwa Professional AKA Chosera 400, deburring on a green Scotch sponge. That's it.
Indeed
All kitchen Vics are indeed stainless. The same Krupp stuff most German makers use, but a bit less refined in the grain than with Wüsthof and Zwilling. Hardly a problem with the OP's intended use. The scimitar is as said before a typical butcher's knife. Great for steaks. The so-called slicer is a ham knife, meant for cutting and presenting thin slices, to explain the rounded tip. Expect indeed some flex. Steel is the same.