or Connect

Posts by Benuser

Any gyuto or santoku by Misono, Hiromoto, JCK Kagayaki, a chef's knife by Robert Herder, Solingen, or K-Sabatier.
Thanks, Phatch. I would rather say, work from the spine, and with normal sharpening all will get alright.
@phatch: to maintain the original profile one would have to abrade some material working from both the spine and edge, which is the traditional technique for tip repair. Or am I missing something?
Please be aware the VG has a handle in POM, which I would find unacceptable at its pricepoint. If I were the OP I would choose between the Misono 440 -- the best F&F -- and Hiromoto Gin-3 -- the best steel.
Mr Nagao, maker of the Hiromoto knives, has stopped production of his regular series of Gin-3, Aogami Super and VG-10 Damascus blades, Mr Koki Iwahara confirmed.
That knife shouldn't have been sent to you. As you describe it the flaw is obvious and can be seen with a very brief inspection.
On my own knives I put a double microbevel on a section of some 2-3" starting at the heel and try to use that part for rough tasks.
A good santoku has a larger edge road than a 210mm gyuto. What you miss is the belly and tip. Look for a 190mm santoku.
I guess Jon will explain you a deba is certainly not meant for rough work.
You may thin a clad knife as much as a monosteel, but why discussing thinning when we are talking about acquiring a new knife? Better have one that corresponds to your wishes right from the beginning. If you're looking for a Western handle you may consider the Misono Swedish Carbon, thin but no laser.