or Connect

Posts by GibsonGirl55

Not sure what company you called in Houston since Akers closed several months year after I posted about their service in 2013. Perhaps Rocky Mountain Tinning, as previously suggested, would be a better fit for you. 
Someone mentioned that true Sabatier knives are no longer manufactured. But as the French would say, au contraire!   Happily, Sabatier is still manufactured in Thiers, France by descendants of the Phillipe Sabatier, who gave this brand of cutlery its name.   In order to distinguish his knives from those of another manufacturer in the region, the Sabatier family marks its cutlery with a distinctive K in front of its name. http://tinyurl.com/ozl2pcv   This is an...
There is Akers Metals & Refinishing in Houston, TX. Prices are really reasonable, and they provide excellent service. I had a 9" skillet polished for $28, and a 4.25 quart copper stewpot with lid polished for $65. Retinning is a little more, with polishing automatically thrown in, but it's not through-the-roof expensive. The copper skillet I had polished--the lining was fine--would have cost $55 for retinning.  Akers' turnaround time is great; there's no waiting for weeks...
This fall, I purchased my first Le Creuset Dutch/French oven and I couldn’t be happier with it. Initially, I had purchased a Ruff Hewn oval oven, which was a 7.5 qt oval casserole.   However, the lid was not quite oval (there was an indentation along the circumference of the lid). And after hearing how Chinese-manufactured ovens were notorious for shoddy workmanship, and learning that my oven was manufactured in China I returned the Ruff Hewn and soon bought the oven...