or Connect

Posts by chef from va

thanks guys it always seems like this is the place to go for folks who may have some good advice or oppinions based on passed exp. some things have happened since that post and i am finishing my last few weeks at that place i have an offer from a well known country club nearby thanks to my awesome food rep putting in a good word for me so looks like i am gonna go there. thanks again guys.
anyone who is reading this has hopefully been in a similar situation and can give me some advice; or will be in this sit. and may be able to get something from it. enter me fresh from my last job where i loved working looking to make a name for myself far from home freinds and family. just a somewhat green "chef" his knives and a head full of good ideas. so here i am in a summer/fall vacation and weekend spot working for some jerk who promised me alot to get here and...
one thing i didnt see anyone mention but i may have missed, i have never seen a peice of foie gras that had the vein removed already. if you are buying it at a location where they will remove that for you i would recomend that otherwise you can do it yourself. the foie gras is usualy sold in 2 lobes that are attached to each otherjust gently seperate them and remove any veins that you see with a sharp pairing knife. the higher the grade of foie gras you purchase the less...
being a former football player (260lb linebacker) with the typical knee problems (torn ACL, miniscus, patella femeral tendenitus, lots of scar cartaladge and a few bone spurs) it has been a challange for me to find the right pair of shoes for the kitchen. i have found that the SUPER BURKI is the most comfortable pair of shoes i have ever worn. did the shoes for crews thing, did the tred safe walmart type thing and i came to the conclusion that i must be the hardest person...
in my experience valentines day means as previously mentioned deuces, deuces, deuces, oh and more deuces. being in a suburb of DC we have alot of commuters and since the 14th is on a tuesday this year the saturday before and the saturday after will be slammed rather than the big day itself. wich also means my girlfreind will be happy because [I]MIGHT[I] be able to get the day off :D!!!! bottle of icewine some hawiian vintage chocolate a few candles and..... well you can do...
personaly i feel that a GREAT cook is: clean- keeping a clean station while you are getting raped by a wave is not easy but extremely important fast- can think on their feet even in one of the hottest, most stressful, and dangerous professions around controlled- even though all the best cooks and chefs i have ever met are a touch crazy when the pressure is on they know just how to control the situation and themselves forgiving- even though we get realy pissed...
i can do you one better i work for an italian restaraunt and we had a customer request that we replace his pasta for a spag -w- meatballs with mixed greens wearing vin. dressing..... it was a soup of wilted greens vin. pomodoro and meatballs :eek: :eek: :eek: thats a new kinda GROSS
not a calling out story but ita a good one anyways. we had a cook who realy wasnt worth his salt but the mgmt felt kinda sorry for him so they gave him a few chances. one night (saturday i think) we ran out of mushrooms on line which are needed for 3 out of 4 of our hot side stations. our expo/station 1 guy asked him to go get some since he was just leaning on the counter and the rest of us were kinda busy. he proceedes to grab a 1/6th pan of mushrooms and sets them on his...
all of these people replying to this simple question about salt, all of these well informed posts, I LOVE THIS SITE!!! :cry: brings a tear to my eye, :D and a smile to my face! keep up the great work guys :chef:
i have to agree with the need for either onion, leek, or my favorite shallots. next issue is the white wine, i dont think that white wine is the only option. i have made some great risotto with merlot and port just reduce the amount of wine by cutting it with about 20-25% water. one important step that i didnt catch in anyones post, to protect the individual grain texture of a good rissotto you need to make sure that each grain of aborio rice is coated evenly and...