or Connect

Posts by Chadwick

Good stuff iplay and DC.  I love mushrooms and use them often in my cream sauces, but I too never thought of working them over like that.  Sounds like that would be delicious.  I'll give some of these ideas a shot!
I had a ridiculous craving for spaghetti carbonara the other day.  The wife is a vegetarian, so normally I don't make it at the house because I just don't enjoy carbonara without the pork.   I decided to try it with tempeh.  I bought some Lightlife fakin' bacon, chopped it up as I would for a more traditional carbonara and pan fried it to give it a little more crunch.  Still not quite as crunchy as some fatty pork, but good.   Believe it or not, it was delicious....
I love purees.  For me, it's a chance to create something delicious but serving a subordinate role in the dish.  For example, I'll sometimes make Indian dishes and put them on a bed of some kind of puree.  I made a potato/chickpea (kinda like falafel) patty on top of a bed of curried parsnip puree, for example.  Still the deliciousness of the parsnips, but melds with the other flavors whereas it wouldn't if left in any original form.   I also like to create emulsions...
Thanks all.  I managed to make it through the evening, and the lasagna was a hit with the wife.  I created a simple tomato sauce with shallots, diced portobellos and some white wine (Sauvignon Blanc -- love cooking with a good Sauvignon Blanc).  I then pan fried some portobello slices -- really thick -- and used that along with the tomato sauce for one of the layers of the lasagna.  The other layer was goat cheese, cream cheese, cream, lemon zest, shallots and a little...
For me, probably the stick blender.  Coupled with a good sieve, I make sauces, soups, dressings and other emulsions very quickly.  For most everything else, I just do it by hand.     Dough only takes me a few minutes.  Chopping, with decent technique, is actually quicker for me than bothering with a food processor.  I like the food mill better than the food processor for tomatoes, potatoes, etc.  I have a hand-crank old-school pasta maker that I use.   But, no...
Thanks to the both of you.  Agree on all points, so I think what my best direction will be is to simply continue as I normally would, especially since I'm going with a tomato sauce this time.  Also, the plastic wrap + foil seems like a great way to keep some of the moisture.  I definitely didn't do that before.   I might throw it under the broiler for a few minutes at the end to get the cheese on the top nice and crispy.   Wish me luck!   Chad
Greetings folks,   I make fresh pasta a few times a week.  Usually a hand-cut pappardelle, ravioli or something baked.  My last attempt at fresh lasagna resulted in pasta that was far too dry around the edges.  I made it with bechamel and a vegetable mixture (with feta), and the flavors alone were outstanding.   But, as I said, the pasta was far too dry.  Baking it for less time would have left me with raw vegetables, so I'm assuming that I just didn't have...
A pressure cooker is your best friend.  I cook a ton of Indian food, and so beans, peas, lentils, etc. are part fo our daily diet.  Without the pressure cooker, we'd be there forever.   You can get through peas, lentils, kidney beans and other things in under 10 minutes and cooked perfectly.  We make dishes like khichdi in no time because of the pressure cooker.   For some things it doesn't work well -- in particular things that are compromised by additional...
This was a French goat cheese.  How does chevre differ?     I'm still curious why it doesn't melt well, so I can understand before I make the mistake on another type of cheese.  Is it the fatty acids that are present in goat cheese, protein, something else?
Evening everyone,   I had some tired vegetables that I needed to do something with, so I whipped up some fusilli with a goat cheese cream sauce and roasted vegetables.  The flavor was fantastic, but the goat cheese came out a little gritty.   I think I know, but I'd like some confirmation and perhaps an understanding of why.  I put the goat cheese into the pan when it was hot, so I'm assuming that did something to the proteins.  Also, I had a good amount of lemon...