or Connect

Posts by XanderMac

Interesting point, Bughut.   I normally use a ham bone (sometimes bacon) so there's already some salt, but didn't realize that was slowing it down. But that's good to know in case I ever make a quicker version - perhaps cook the peas separately from the broth until they soften? I normally don't season soup until the end (with evaporation you can end up with some briney suprrises), so I expect that whatever residual salt is in the ham or bacon isn't enough to prevent...
The taxonomical stuff is interesting, so please don't hold back on my account.   I'll see if I can post a pic of the flesh and then you can really have at it.   My dogs were circling me as I was removing the wrapper after defrosting it; my German Shep especially seemed to sense some primal nectar of the canus lupus ancestors was close at hand. I let her have the blood that had drained off so I expect she'll be baying at the moon tonight in appreciation. 
This may indeed be Canada Goose, then. The flesh is deep crimson, sort of like beef but even more burgundy tinged, not the bright red of a piece of store-bought beef. And I don't really see much fat. Anyway, I doubt it really matters since whatever the species it is, it's wild and lean and has the characteristics described above.    I think I'll do the rarer way with the breasts, and the legs I'll probably braise separately. The waterfowl page I checked said to cook...
Thanks tylerm. I looked at 11/22 and didn't notice the year. Here we are, several generations of geese later! (One might think they'd delete these old threads, but I guess they serve as a reference point).    Now, my goose were shot here in Canada, so they are by geography alone 'Canadian geese', species aside. (I take it that "Canadian geese" is a common inaccuracy south of the border, thus your pet peeve?) I think you're correct, though, the goose shot in Michigan...
Mudbug, I'd love to know how it turned out. I've got some wild Canadian goose to cook as well (breast and thigh) and I've never done it before. I like the idea of the stronger flavours (molasses, ginger) in case I don't like the gameyness of the meat (I'm going to brine it first). Best of luck!
Hi SK,   The only thing I know that gets rid of that crunchiness is time. I've always thought of pea soup as a longer process, not good for a quick dinner. My mum used to use a pressure cooker, but I simply put it in a crock pot or on low on the back of the stove, and I've never had that problem. That's probably not the answer you were looking for, but I don't know any way to rush this.   Alex