Posts by LennyD

I am going to make a bold statement here lol It would be a great idea to have a sticky on all the major things related to "what J knife should I get". Beyond the popular things that would seem to be agreed by most (difference from typical German stuff, types, styles, profiles, brands etc) there could even be a link section broken up by brand to previous threads that address specific comparisons, reviews and related info. I could even see a sub section with multiple sub...
Wow 6 years already!Still good info, and been paying it forward as thanks to all the good help from that thread and all that posted.If it's any help I did hold onto the original DP petty, and FKM 240 gyuto, but have sold off and replaced the santoku. The other DP in various configurations I got later as gifts are still being enjoyed by their owners who were not as strongly bitten the j knife bug and did not add to or change them.Still would have pretty much the same...
Yoda Welcome   Found some old threads I see.   Had some of the best "which knife" threads did 2010/   OK enough typing backwards, but was fun for a really short moment lol.   I do mean that about the how to choose, or which knife threads from 2010, and I know that to be true because I got here near the end of that year (with similar past to your own with being away from a pro kitchen for many years etc.) and pretty much drove everyone a little nuts trying to figure...
"I don't mind paying a 30 dollar premium for similar steel if every other quality is in the Gesshin's favor." Don't let yourself get stuck on this as the possibility of upgrades are never ending. It could go on for ever, and the whole idea of comparing something totally online is making the decision process more difficult because you can't actually handle the different knives, and this combined with the various different likes and experiences of the reviewers makes it...
Well said, and it does make sense to try and keep things less confusing, and especially for those new to J knives and sharpening.One of the more helpful bits of advice I received when first finding my way here was from BDL to first research and decide on a knife or knives before looking into stones.Though hind sight is 20/20 I can still remember very well how overwhelming it was too try and absorb all the info on both topics separately, and I can't imagine trying to do it...
"How about we get back to talking about food and knives, and leave the mysteries of Talmud to people who know what they're talking about?" "In my humble opinion, it seems too many folks want to be 'experts' on things they have feelings about. But as granny used to say, Feelin's ain't facts..." Can we add "momma always said life is like a box of chocolates, and you never know what you are going to get" Point being much as the discussion may have gotten a bit off track...
That would seem worth it over using as decorativeI know nothing of that exact product, but from experience I am sure with a little extra work sharpening they can be sharp.I know from experience that some of the old stainless can be a real pain, and especially so if the edge is messed up since it takes a lot of work if only using stones, but since I have had more than one 440c knife (mostly dive or hunting, but even a couple of cooking) I know they can get very sharp.Edge...
Another thought is how it is becoming confusing to an extent as to the identity of some j knives due to the way so many small shops so through groups, and the many ones being private labeled for other brands and US sellers etc.
Good point on the American made knives.I have to be honest I may not be the best one to reply to this as the only domestic made knives I have handled were all vintage ones, and besides that most were either hunting or pocket knife.Also I'm not aware of the possible site rules issues, but since your a merchant etc. so my advance apologies if this would be a problem but it would be interesting to learn more on these as I honestly do not have a lot of information on them.I'm...
Have to agree with the idea of staying at 15 per side and would a micro secondary bevel has allowed me good results with tougher boards even if starting more acute. Still they don't cut as sharp that way either, but in a pro kitchen environment it really makes more sense that giving up a little in perceived or total sharpness for more usability is the right way to go imho at least.Now I'm really working myself up on the carbon idea, and funny you mention the Misono as I...