or Connect

Posts by redzuk

I must be some kind of nerd, this has really been an interesting discussion.  At home next time I think I'll try; cubed peeled potatoes in the pressure cooker, shock, couple minutes in microwave until hot, rice or mill, gently stir in hot cream and cold butter, cultured dairy optional.  Salt, white pepper, and who adds nutmeg?  I like nutmeg, even with the tang of creme fraiche.    I did try a comparison of peeled, cubed and blanched vs. whole, unpeeled and steamed....
thats what I'm saying, even with the little boiled cubes, they still soak up all the cream and butter I want to add.  But I guess you can never add too much butter.    So how fast could you peel 20 lbs of boiled potatoes?    
I use a food mill, was thinking thats the same thing as a ricer.      The food mill gives the texture I want, I put a lot of cream and butter and creme fraiche in there.   I do have a convection steamer to work with, I'll give whole unpeeled a try one of  these days.  
Peel, chop, boil, drain into ricer.  Salt in boiling water, season again with salt and pepper as they sit in the ricer, toss butter onto the pre-riced potatoes, crank the handle, stir cream into mashed potato, check seasoning.   Thats how I do it. 
Would you still be happy in a less reputable place?  Where do you want to be in 10 or 15 years?  
I dont know what the redseal is. How much lemon juice or vinegar do you need to use per yolk to get the ph to a safe level?      It was once common to reuse the butter for a couple days.  Break the sauce the next day and use the butter in the fresh batch.  Its important to use enough acid, and to use enough liquid to be able to get the yolks hot enough before they coagulate.  
For me it was Grandma's house, she would have the coffee percolating first thing in the morning, not many aroma's bring back memories as clear as that one.  I do think its not a great way to brew but my first post was meant to be more humor than as cynical as it sounded. 
Yes the memories waking up to that aroma, but it must be really bad coffee to start with if the percolator doesnt make it taste pretty bad.    . 
Me too.  Like ChefEd, I remember when practically overnight, everyone decided you should saute with olive oil.  Heard the other day about how heating olive to the smoking point did something that makes the oil unhealthy, wasnt paying too much attention though.    
Its a little tricky with the dry ice. I like to freeze a big water containers like KY said, and also the boiler bag items, use enough dry ice to keep those frozen longer.  Get a little creative to create a space in the cooler that doesnt freeze, but stays cold enough.  You need a good cooler and keep the sun off of it.  That way there is no messing around with water splashing around in the cooler.    Always wanted an excuse to get an expensive 12v portable refrigerator,...