or Connect

Posts by redzuk

I'm not much of a baker but recently read Reinharts book, Bread Baker's Apprentice.  Main theme of the book is about the importance of the fermentation of the grain, using either poolish, biga, pate ferment or letting the dough stand in the fridge overnight, four methods of pre ferment.   So yes you can use poolish on any bread, you might prefer one of the other methods of pre ferment for a particular bread.  The books recipe for poolish baguette is 7 oz poolish, 8...
  Given that, you need to follow the recipe precisely.  I learned something about skirt steak thanks to your thread.  The flavor of the meat must go especially well with shallots.  You might not be getting skirt, need to trust your butcher.  Its common to serve the skirt really rare, not sure when raw becomes rare, but maybe still a bit raw.    If you do want to change the composition of the dish you could try marinating the meat first or use hanger steak instead, I...
If this is the recipe, its a little vague.  http://leitesculinaria.com/5948/recipes-skirt-steak-with-caramelized-shallots.html The picture doesnt look like the meat was sliced at all.  Like others have said, when I think of serving this cut, it would be sliced thin against the grain, maybe thats not how they do it at Bouchon. You would think they would mention it in the recipe if it was meant to be served sliced.    Is there a difference between searing the skirt...
Jacques Pepin.  Not that I've watched much of what he has on youtube, its probably all good. 
I'm interested in retaining as much nutrients as possible, you almost have to be a scientist to weed through the info.  I've seen conflicting studies about the B and C vitamins and steaming vs boiling.  Broccoli has so much vitamin C, I think as long as you dont cremate it, its good.  Not sure about B.  Its the phytonutrients that I want to keep in broccoli, one study found boiled for 5 minutes lost 15% of glucosinolate's and 10 minutes destroyed 40%.   Very little loss...
  At home, those silicone strainers that sit on the bottom of the pan work real well for steaming.  Less water to boil, more efficient, faster than boiling, holds a couple of portions unless you really love broccoli.  Cut the stems down to a size they will be done when the tops are done.  Cooking until just done is hopefully the key to retaining the most nutrients, whether steamed, boiled or in the pressure cooker.  
You lost me.  With your numbers I figure food cost 28% fresh vs 38% frozen.  The wing chains I've been to use frozen but it takes 15 minutes to cook anyway, at least thats what they told me. 
         While you wait for a response, do you already have your own technique for using a bench stone?  I went to youtube to try and get some ideas.     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_jcRtvOLzo     I cant find the video I liked the most but it was something like the one above. I've seen figure 8's, all different methods of taking one long motion across the entire edge.  For whatever reason I went with something like in the video and its working for me....
Everyone else probably already know this math shortcut.   http://www.chadwrites.com/knife-sharpening-coin-trick-magic-angle-finder/   Turns out for 20' my estimation was way off on a chef knife, might explain poor results steeling as well.  I seemed to be about right for the boning and paring knives.    Right now i'm using Norton india coarse/fine combo to an arkansas transluscent.   BDL recommended going from norton india medium to a Halls Arkansas soft then...
I've never used a really good knife, trying to get an idea how gentle you have to be with them.     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki9KErH1oEY   The guy did pretty a good job on the parsley but would that kill a super sharp knife, would you ever use the technique of holding the tip and chopping down?   Or what about bouncing it from the tip to the heel like that?  Whats the toughest Japanese knife?  Would you even fear working on a rubber board like that...