or Connect

Posts by IndyGal

Thank you so much Margcata!   I bake biscotti all the time, but never this type.   I have my own method of drying them out.  I slice the log after it is golden and merely use my serrated knife to slide the slices apart, leaving them upright on the tray.  Then I return to the oven, at a lower heat.  After 15 more minutes or so (actually I look for signs of browing, we don't like ours very brown) I turn off the oven and leave them all night.   They turn out perfect.   I...
 I would like the almond flour version of biscotti. I make it all the time, but have chopped nuts included, not almond flour.I would be very interested in the Tarta de Santiago recipe, as well as the almond cakes. My favorite German treat are called "Marzipani's" at my fav. local German bakery. They are like a danish roll, but have marzipan filling. HMMMM. I looked up how to make marzipan, so I'll be doing that with some of it. I also LOVE Marzipan Stollen.But I was...
Thanks, those look great, definitely on my list to try.     But at this point, I'm off the special diet thing, and willing to use flour, etc along with the almond flour.  Just looking for a way to utilize this. As I remember, it was a  pretty expensive ingredient.   Indy
Hi all,  Last time I was on a special diet for health reasons I bought 10 lbs of ground almond "flour".  it has been in my freezer for a very long time, and has that "freezer" smell.  Mostly it goes away when I toast it and use it for garnishes on stuff, so I think even lightly toasted will kill the freezer smell.   My question is, can I use it to make some great cookies?  I have in mind something like Wedding Cookies.  Instead of chopping my pecans very small and...
Hi,  I have to second the article by Chef George on 100% WW bread.  I tried it and his was very good, much lighter than I had been making. However, I'm simply spoiled by the no-knead method.  So I've started incorporating Chef Geroge's ideas about wet dough and getting the WW thoroughly moistened.   So I add addtional water, and let it rise 12-18 hours (Using only 1-1½ tsp. instand yeast.   I have not measured anything, just eyeballed a wet dough.  When I shape it,...
Thank you so much Jay, the recipe looks great! Buba, thanks for the link, I missed it when I searched, Cookin' your idea sounds great too.     I'm going to try it both ways, then try it on the family. IndyG
Hi EdB It is true, sad but true.  Just look at the way "fresh" chicken arrives from the packer.  Iced and half frozen.   I drive 45 miles one way to get organic chicken.  But I only have one fresh, the others are immediately frozen here at my home.  (slowly, probably even worse for damaging cells). At least I know it isn't processed in any way.     I do brine them for flavor, and when the owners heard that, they were highly insulted and started to ignore my...
Quite right, Yemama.  I just LOVE french fried sweet potatoes, but I suffer when I eat them.  I can eat baked plain sweet potatoes, just not fried or with sugary stuff on them, etc.   I would love to try this raw beet salad, but I think I'll go really small scale until I find out if I can tolerate them.   I've never had problems with cooked beets, tho.  In fact one of my all time favorite dishes is beets and beet tops cooked together.  So that is hopeful. 
We enjoyed Carne Asada so much (usually on tostadas) when we were out west. The recipe I liked the best, you could definitely taste lime - and possibly some orange? Anyone have a great Carne Asada recipe?   What cut of meat would you use?  If I were guessing, I'd say what we had was from flank steak, but much thinner.   Could you use a fattier meat and slice it very thinly - like half thawed so you could slice it really thin?   I'm just guessing here.