or Connect

Posts by racineboxer

I like 210mm (8+") or 240mm (9.5") for a home all purpose gyuto. I understand why some recommend the 270's (10.6") I just find them huge.  To each their own. I actually have a pretty spacious kitchen/cooking area, with a boardsmith 22x16" board and I reach for a 210 quite a bit. That's what works for me.
I now see Steve might want to keep it down around $100 and western handled.  It seems like Steve is somewhat flexible on pricing though :)   I owned a Carbonext and loved it as a cutter.  It was much better, again, than some more expensive knives I owned.  I would highly recommend the carbonext if you are willing to up your budget to around $130.    I don't have much experience with the Fujiwara or Tojiro stainless offerings but they seem to be the two go-to...
Steve, the things you are looking for in a knife are similar to what I wanted in a knife.   I spent a little over a year buying different knives, visiting a local knife guru (saltydog/idiotking) and playing with his knives, spending countless hours on forums, and just searching for what I wanted in an every day gyuto.     My search ended with Jon Broida from Japanese Knife Imports recommending his Yoshihiro line.  I believe the line is now called "Gesshin...
I went through about a half dozen gyuto's in the $120-210 range and my favorite is the Yoshihiro stainless.   210mm:  $145 http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/kitchen-knives/yoshihiro/yoshihiro-210mm-stainless-wa-gyuto.html 240mm:  $155 http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/kitchen-knives/yoshihiro/yoshihiro-240mm-stainless-wa-gyuto.html     The carbonext was a nice knife but I didn't really like the semi-stainless, mainly for aesthetics.  The kanji on it was...
With the 3 restaurants I have some experience working in (USA), I agree with duckfat and foodpump, and that is that the knives are supplied by the kitchen and are typically beaters.    A funny exception would be Salty's restaurant that many folks know from the various forums.  I've been there 3 times and his head cook, the #2 guy behind him, has his own knives.  His main knife is a Shun chef knife- go figure, LOL!  And he's friggen great with it.  I think many of the...
What's your take on the balance between convexing a knife to reduce sticking vs having it dead flat to minimize wedging?  Seems some of the nicest knives I've had my hands on had a nice convex grind.    
Hi Louis, My recommendation for the Hiro AS was based on your priorities which you said were: -Has to be able to get scary sharp. -Easy to get that sharp. -Good edge retention.     In my personal opinion, the AS super core of the Hiromoto AS would be a huge step up from some of the stainless options in the 58-59 HRC range.  When people talk about the Hiro AS one of the first things that comes up is almost always the edge that it'll take and hold.
I'm not sure if workhorse+stainless+super sharp/edge retention is a combination that is all that common to find.  It seems to me that most people who want super sharp/edge retention will go with carbon or semi-stainless and often go with thinner knives.     Perhaps the Hiromoto AS might be a knife to keep on your radar.  It has the AS super core which is carbon and will patina but it's only along the first handful of mm's of the edge, the rest of the blade is...
Where are the reviews of the Ultimatum?  I haven't seen any yet.  In the link at the beginning of this thread there was just a video and there are videos for darn near everything on CKTG.  I'd love to read a review where someone is blowing smoke up the rear end of this knife talking about how great it is. 
Do you want thin or do you want everyday workhorse?