or Connect

Posts by chefa1a

an old boss years back told me: it takes all your life to learn how to cook and 15 minutes to become a chef (basically a job interview) anyone can hold the title , whether they are slinging buffalo wings in their small make shift kitchen in a pub, pureeing soup and entrees for people in a nursing home or commanding the brigade in a Michelin restaurant but having the skills to perform your job well and command respect is what makes a good chef there is...
for a pound of pasta saute about a quarter cup of pancetta or bacon in a large skillet until it render off the fat and starts to crisp add some fresh ground pepper and 2 minced shallots or half a red onion cook a few minutes more and deglaze with 1/2 cup white wine, add a small amount of chicken stock or starchy water from the pasta pot whisk 2 eggs with 1/2 cup parmesan cheese in a bowl drain pasta return to the pot add the egg mixture , fresh parsley and...
expect to work alot but if are not in the business you should get a job to get experience as far as keeping the recipe from employees you can do a premix of ingredients (like sugar, salt yeast already weighed out in plastic bags for the pizza dough and maybee the spice mix for the pizza sauce) then give the employees a recipe to add water flour and oil for the dough or the tomatoes for the pizza sauce some of the things to watch out for are keeping fresh...
those are pretty heavy flavored apps and a progression should be light to heavy but being on a budget you cant pull out much more bells and whistles try some value cuts like flat iron steak or terres major chicken was mentioned................ pork loin or tenderloin is reasonable and suited to many preparations is there any theme to the menu????????????????????
any one doing anything with tapioca pearls???? I saw keller use it years ago and didnt want to jump on that trend but now seeing more and more pop up I have done a few calcium chloride-sodium alginate pearls but alot of labor just for a wow garnish ( its great if you have a tasting menu) but I actually cooked the black Pearl tapioca for a bubble tea when the restaurant I was at had an adjacent casual sandwich-take out place, at the time didnt...
try making dessert tapas even a few petit fours using a sponge cake you could make a few variations tiramisu, layered with citrus butter cream, choco mouse maybe a few mini strudels, nice when they see you can work with puff or filo dough, a few dessert wontons or empanadas with cream cheese mousse (peanut butter, banana, ect) or fruit creme brulee spoons mini chocolate mousse spoons or ramekins even a frozen souffle in a ramekin desserts shots...
trying to get in the holiday mode I have been trying out a few new variations egg nog recipes regards chef chris
its something that happens in this buisness I think some happens because of marketing ploys chilean sea bass isnt a bass most sushi restaurants use tilapia instead of snapper but its a matter of ethics if your misleading the customers Some Italian restaurants use pork tenderloin instead of veal I think Angus is another big one, yea alot of cows are black angus but only the top 6% are certified black angus I heard they were coming out with...
unless your a superstar chef, most publishers wont touch new cookbooks and color pictures sell cookbooks look into on demand publishers I am working with one and it is reasonable if you have it ready and are computer savy to save formating charges there is a bunch look into this one book publishing and self publishing company InstantPublisher.com
just did my first "Naked Sushi " event well pretty well, good turnout, DJ and overall fun night except the girls complained the wasabi and sriracha burned their skin heres the first batch of pix Online Photo Filer Gallery FilmStrip