or Connect

Posts by mano

PM sent
Hi Stephanie, I still have the UX10 sujihiki and UX10 Santuko. I also have a custom handled Konosuke HD 240 gyuto.   Best regards, Craig
My exposure to yelp was from family members who worked for and with yelp. If they're tailoring reviews based on payment it's a scam. The local and regional reps were expected to be aggressive in getting business, so I'm not all that surprised.
Congratulations on your success. Using a really sharp knife is an epiphany, and one that you sharpened is a great feeling.   The fact that the sharp edge will last a relatively short time compared to a knife with harder steel, depends on a few things. The most obvious is how it's used. Also, knives' like yours have a relatively soft steel, so the sharp edge bends with use. Using a steel or strop will straighten it and you're good to go for a while until you steel it...
It's not so much a scam as it is the way yelp makes money by developing "relationships" with business that are rated. The relationships extend to the reviewers, the business and the local yelp representative. They all become friends, or at least feel they have a close acquaintanceship. It fits into the urban lifestyle of people between 18 and early 30's and the places they go.   I'm not a fan.
My HD 240 gyuto is stainless for all practical purposes. I'm not meticulous with washing and drying immediately after using it, but do wipe it down while using it, as would any cook.   If anyone is interested, mine is for sale with a custom handle.
The Konosuke HD is one of those rare knives that is both a laser and a workhorse. I intern as a prep cook once a week at a fine dining place and that's my primary knife. The weight, ability to take a very sharp edge and profile make it ideal for fine precise cuts that are demanded at the restaurant. I have a Zakuri blue #1 (carbon) as a backup for really tough work and I think I only used it a few times.   The Hono HD holds a very good edge. Food release is good, but I've...
The Tojiro DP honesuki is one of the best values out there at $80. Folks with expensive custom gyutos and yanagibas use them because they get the job done. I've broken down and deboned countless chickens and ducks,  squared off racks of ribs, and Frenched racks of lambs with mine.
What about talking directly to the employee about it? Remind him of why he's been promoted and how much you need him, and that his giving one week leaves you in the lurch. Tell him you'd like him to put the start of the new place another week out. The worse that'll happen is he says no, but you've gotten your point across.    If he's been great 99% of the time that's probably his true character. Get pissed but no need to get even.
I'm looking for the best thickness -3.5 mil vs.5 mil for vacuum sealer bags to be used to freeze food, not sous vide.   Links to recommended bulk bags would be appreciated, as well.