or Connect

Posts by BrianShaw

Plus more... The methodology for whole wheat bread needs to be different from white wheat due to how the flours hydrate differently. Reinhardt pre-soaks in a lot of his recipes to hydrate the WW before asking the dough. I've used extended autolyse to do similar. One thing I've found when I've done adaptions to WW is that even a 50% sub of white for WW can be too much. King Arthur had a "whole grain white flour" (I hope I got that correct) yhat worked the best for me. It...
Substituting the white flours is 1:1. Substituting brown flour or whole wheat for white flour is much more complex. Recommend you study Reinholt's "Whole Grain Breads" for the best understanding. In the end you may find, as I have, it much easier to use a reliable brown or whole wheat bread recipe than do the conversion of a white bread recipe. Reinhart's book will give you the opportunity to do either.
That's a tradition I didn't discover until I was a teen. A local diner always said "a piece of apple pie without a slice of cheese is like a kiss without a hug"... Or something quite similar. Maybe that's a Midwest tradition; IDK.
Wendy and White Castle are the only square burgers I've met outside of my grandmothers kitchen. So do I when using dinner rolls for sliders. But since buns and rolls are round, so are my burgers. I have no idea how burgers evolved to the round form, though. The modern burger was originally made on sliced bread - square - but I don't know if the patties were sqare or round. And I can't recall the name of the Rhode Island diner but they are still in business using the...
If the desire is for a savory side dish rather than app or cheese course I never shy away from a well-made mac&cheese, or potato au gratin, or a basic cheese sauce to slather over vegetable. One of my families favorites is when I steam a whole cauliflower and engulf it in a cheese sauce or mustard sauce - neither being much more than a basic bechamel with a goodly amount of cheese and onion or mustard and onion. A very simple family-style side dish that tastes Good, and...
Primarily on a Carr's Water Cracker. Rarely on other crackers. Cheeses in the Blue family occasionally on a thin slice of ripe pair or tart apple. Brie family on lightly toasted baguette... But sometimes on a piece of ripe tomato.... And sometimes all 3 combined into a sandwich.
Some of us are lucky enough to live in relatively affluent urban areas and have access to one or more local shops for gourmet items. Buying in bulk is seldom necessary. I wasn't always blessed with that opportunity and, then, found myself more oriented toward the local fare(all the while trying to stay at the upper extremes of the local offerings) and not even trying to procure the gourmet ingredients from afar. First, it was very costly; Second, it often arrived in poor...
I'll trust you on that!
I'm not sure what to think... I'm exhausted and have a headache. But if you really want to quit you should do so; give notice and stick to it. If they don't find a replacement that is their fault and not your problem.
Another question or two. Did the nasty smell happen when the soup was fresh, or after being cooled and stored? What did you cook the soup and what did you store in? Cooking in cast iron can give off flavored as can storing in some plastics.