or Connect

Posts by BrianShaw

Good point.  I should have said "relatively inexpensive".  Relative to truffle, foie gras, and a few other things  :)   You'll do fine, I'm sure.  Enjoy.
Canned pumpkin (unseasoned) is a very good and reliable product.  Sore-made pie crust not so much.  Good luck with your pastry.  Don't forget... if you don't like how it behaves when you are rolling, it is inexpensive enough that you can throw it out and start over again.
I'm once again facing the annual "marshmallows on the sweet potato or not" debate.  I like them plain - cooked in a little cream and butter until they are soft enough to mash themselves.  My family prefers them boiled, mashed, covered in marshmallow and baked.  As always... I'm cooking so I choose.  But what a dilemna; So much emotion involved in this topic.  IIt is almost as bad as the home-made whole berry cranberry sauce versus cranberry jelly out of a can discussion.
I've never heard of picking up a week in advance either.  Around here it is the night before or morning of the holiday when folks pick up store-prepared meals.
Sure, why not.  Pre-made dinner is a good option for those who don't cook, don't have the time to cook, or can't cook.  I've heard from family embers who have used this option that it is important to be aware of the number of people the dinner is intended to serve.  I was told that the serving size of the side dishes was minimal, so trying to stretch the meal for more people may require more sides.  Also remember that the dinner is not likely to be hot so lifing the turkey...
Six sharp knives.   Because they are easier to use.   A chef, boning, bread, paring and a spare chef.  That's all I really need; I don't need 6.  Well, maybe a carving knife would be nice.    What are your dream knives?
Yes.  There generally isn't too much liquid anyway after soaking the fruit.   What you soaking with?  I generally us bourbon.
Nice looking bread!  As you calibrate your process, it can help to take the internal temp of the bread to ensure it is fully baked.  For rustic bread like that, it should be 200 - 210 degF.  Loaf bread should be at 190 degF.   Here is an interesting article that helps explain the interaction of baking time and internal temp (in a fairly easy to understand way):   http://www.thermoworks.com/blog/2012/01/bread-pt-2/
Can opener??? I thought that was what the heel of a borrowed German chef knife was for.  Ha ha ha.   I like the roller kind that doesn't scrape the can when it cuts also.  I have been using one that I bought in the grocery store for the past decade or so.  Have no idea who made it.  They are inexpensive and easily replaced.
For us it was potato! Lots and lots of potato! hahaha.  In fact, where I'm from there's a saying when someone unexpected joins for supper, "just put another potato in the pot."