or Connect

Posts by BrianShaw

This... plus a bit of Cream of Tartar as a stabilizer.  The browning is overbaking.
Pate sucree is always more difficult to roll than pate brisee.  I'm with ChefRoss... that recipe looks too dry.  I'd shop around for a new recipe if I were you.  I have great respect for Bo, but two web sites may be worth investigating if you haven't already:  Joe Pastry is a very reliable source.  So is JoyOfBaking.  Also really reliable are the dough recipes/tehniques in Rose Levy Bernbaum's Pie and Pastry Book.
That is conceivable... but I wouldn't.
I'm assuming you are talking about chemically leavened quick bread.  If so, there is sufficient air in the recipe from the creaming of fat and sugar.  No need to further beat the already mixed liquid egg.  Shake the container just in case it settled and pour into the fat/sugar and incorporate.
Absolutely correct.  While Someday has a completely valid point, I think recipes are much more important than some folks give them credit.  In a one-man kitchen consistency is easier to achieve than when cooks rotate in and out.  Then the recipe takes on a much more important role.  There is nothing more annoying than to go to a restaurant on enight and have a good experience, only to have that change another night "because a different cook is working". As far a sharing...
Buttering a flan/tart ring seems like a good thing, and it certainly is a good safety measure... but I've never exprienced sticking with a butter or shortning crust.  Between the fat in the crust and shrinkage the situation works out well with "dry" rings.  Filling leakage will negate everything I've written, though.  Do so if you chose but if you do not don't worry because chances are extremely high that there will be no problem.
P.S. I don't often use a sheet pan or cookie sheet under a flan ring, but an aluminum pizza plate. That I'd much easier to fit in a fridge to cool the dough down before baking.
I think they are technically called 'flan'rings. They work great for tarts. Definitely use parchment.
Not specifically in that straight-line corridor beween SAC and SF, but what about Perfect Edge in San Mateo?
Sesame oil smells funny and goes rancid very fast.  Bad choice.