or Connect

Posts by BrianShaw

Overnight cooking in an oven isn't inherently unsafe. Modern gas home ovens, for the past 40 years or more, are equipped with sufficient safety features to preclude worry. The gas valve will not open unless the ignition source, whether that is a pilot light or heated electric igniter, is ready. The biggest problem might be sleeping while the delicious smells are wafting through the house!
If you do think of recycling it... I'd pay the postage for you to dispose of it into my kitchen!
Not if they are on the "ethnic foods" aisle. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
When answering Ricks great questions, also say if you are thinking of exchanging at a specific store. If so, what else do they offer. If not then other options may be possible. My gut feel from your post, however, is that you might be happier with a German knife and a ChefChoice electric sharpener. Not state-of-the-art steel, but proven over many decades. Not popular with everyone, but nothing except sex really is... And even that exhibits fairly broad diversity of...
I've had different experience than you with Shun. Not to diminish any one else's experience (just sharing my 50 years of cooking experience including about 5 in a professional kitchen) but let me just say that I've used Shun for years without the chipping some report. i know I'm not alone. You might want to also consider how you use knives as part of your needs assessment. I've used them extensively in home kitchen but haven't in professional kitchen as I've been out of...
One generally does not sharpen ceramic knives. There are services that can sharpen them but it is not often needed. But sharpeners are available: http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=KCDS50
You really only need a few knives: chef, utility and paring. Plus maybe a bread knife. It sounds like you want sharp without the fuss. Can't blame you; a lot of folks want just that. The Keramikos are ceramic, aren't they? If so, a couple of those might meet your needs. Ceramic blades stay sharp for long time. Only risk is breakage if dropped. Sharpening is almost never needed. My child uses ceramic knives (different brand) and gets along just fine. When I use them I get...
Well then.. You need to know your real goal and requirements. Do you just want to beat your current knives or are you looking forward to being a knife geek with the best knives? There are a zillion options in between.A little more info on your needs and wants will be useful. But in general I agree... Keep walking and consider other options. But if these are what suits you, get a bargain price if possible a cook some yummy food.Every rider has a horse! ๐Ÿ˜„
Try them both and learn something for yourself. Ask and they'll let you try them. Listening to other folks opinion is good but first-hand experience help discern between useful information and rumor (or truth versus malarkey).
Sure; its done all of the time (too often, in fact). Mozzarella (not the fresh kind, but the harder blob used for standard American pizza) is a good substitute for Oaxaca cheese. Jack is a good substitute for any cheese intendedย to be melted (like in a Chile Relleno). "Farmer cheese" or raw curd is a good substitute from Queso Fresco. Not a cheese, but sour cream can be substituted for crema. These are all good enough but if you can find real Mexican cheeses you'll be...