or Connect

Posts by BrianShaw

American "Mexican" taco, not Mexican American taco. Subtle but very distinct difference. The tacos made by Americans born in (or originating from) Mexico don't resemble Taco Bell or Del Taco at all or KC-style tacos at all. TexMex tacos, also, are more like American "Mexican" tacos but generally very good.
I don't know jiggery, per se, but have used Mexican Piloncillo in the same application that you ask -- coffee.  I think the two products are quite similar.  Piloncillo is a very raw sugar that comes in a cone and must be shipped or grated,  It gives coffee an extraordinarily syrupy and butterscotch/caramel-like mouth feel and taste.  I rather like it.
What can I say?  It keeps my knives blazingly sharp, which allows me to cut all the veg, proteins, and herbs I need to cook with.  It allows allows me to cut my fingers too... which doesn't happen often but when it does I often see the blood long before I feel the pain of the laceration. 
For the past 2 years an 8 inch Shun Premier has been my "go to" chef knife.  Light, sharp, good looking, and very effective when used correctly.  At home that is, for me, the most comfortable length but every once in a while I wish it were 10 inches.  For size ask yourself two questions:  What am I comfortable wielding, and how big (or small) is my cutting board.  Those questions will help you decide whether 8 or 10 inch is best answer.  7 inch chef knife is little more...
When the responses start rolling in your head is likely to start spinning.  If you have looked through the archives you know what I mean.  :)   When I asked the same question as you just asked it was 1982.  I bought a set of Henckels 4-star based on a recommendation of a world famous chef.  The set of 6 knives (plus block and steel) eventually expanded to a collection of about 9 or 10 knives.  I still have that set of knives in use but only use a few, in this order:  8...
I have kids, boys, and have kept my knives in a block on counter and on magnetic strips. They have been taught from day one to leave them alone, and they have always done so. The mag strips are mounted 5 ft off the floor but in full view. My youngest is 11 and has chef knife of his own, which is kept sleeved but in low drawer. He asks before using. Education may be as good as hiding but it depends a lot upon the temperment and ccuriousity of the individual child.
If she already replaced it what does she want next - for you to repay her (which would be appropriate if you did the damage - even if it was accidental), or apologize whether you did the damage or not, or just for you to keep groveling?  Or is she planning to get on with life and put this unfortunate situation in the past.  Proving that the pan is still useful may be futile.  At this point why bother?  It may be perceived as argumentative, which makes any kind of rational...
Reading this thread makes me very sad.  I know what she is upset about -- her expensive nonstick pan has been marred -- but the amount of blame-game and associated drama is pathetic.  Please don't be offended but I couldn't find a gentler term to use.  I would think that a sincere apology could be offered and accepted, but apparently not.    Having been in this situation once myself I understand from both sides.  I scratched my own nonstick pan with a metal tool.  (See...
Sure you can use them for something else.  They are just ground meat shaped into a patty.  Use for anything you'd make out of ground beef: meatballs, meatloaf, chili, meat sauce for spaghetti...   Or do as my Mommy did when I was a kid:  cook the patties and serve on a plate with onion gravy and mashed potatoes.  She called that "Cowboy supper".  She also snuck in peas or some other sort of green veg.
Some of the bigger supermarkets in my area still have seedless raspberry but it takes some time to shop around and find it.   What seems totally missing, though, is currant jelly.  No Cumberland Sauce with the ham this year due to lack of currant jelly.   Oh... and prepared minced meat.  When it is on the shelf it is dusty.  Don't get me going...