or Connect

Posts by BrianShaw

Well then.. You need to know your real goal and requirements. Do you just want to beat your current knives or are you looking forward to being a knife geek with the best knives? There are a zillion options in between.A little more info on your needs and wants will be useful. But in general I agree... Keep walking and consider other options. But if these are what suits you, get a bargain price if possible a cook some yummy food.Every rider has a horse! đŸ˜„
Try them both and learn something for yourself. Ask and they'll let you try them. Listening to other folks opinion is good but first-hand experience help discern between useful information and rumor (or truth versus malarkey).
Sure; its done all of the time (too often, in fact). Mozzarella (not the fresh kind, but the harder blob used for standard American pizza) is a good substitute for Oaxaca cheese. Jack is a good substitute for any cheese intended to be melted (like in a Chile Relleno). "Farmer cheese" or raw curd is a good substitute from Queso Fresco. Not a cheese, but sour cream can be substituted for crema. These are all good enough but if you can find real Mexican cheeses you'll be...
Keep cooking with it. Use a little more fat if necessary. It will come back faster than stripping and re-seasoning.
mimi... you mentioned "fresh plump jalapenos" but lets not forget the many other fresh plump chiles!   ... and to get your mouth watering more... how about chilaquiles: fried corn tortilla re-cooked in green or red salsa until just integrated (slightly soggy yet still with texture) and topped with queso fresco and crema. Add an egg or chicken and it transforms from breakfast to lunch.  Or how about Mollettes - refried beans smeared on telera rolls and topped with Oaxaca...
I've heard that story also but have no idea if it's true or not. In addition to TJ's there are many places discounting wine lately. Maybe there's a glut on the market? There are many good wines available at decent prices. Now is the time to be quaffing.
Snoop around for your local Mexican community. Even the Midwest has them! Explore the carneceria or mercado. Talk to them. If like mine, their English may be minimal or nonexistent and they may look upon you as an intruder... But don't be intimidated. Most will be selling cooked food: eat it. Don't mistake Salvadorean food for Mexican, though. Buy a variety of dried chile and get to know them. Rehydrate one of each, deseed, and have a tasting session. That will help with...
Buy a book... The Essential Cuisines of Mexico or The Art of Mexican Cooking by Diana Kennedy. Traditional recipes from the many regions of Mexico. These are both informative books with foolproof recipes. Kennedy was perhaps as good a historian as she was a culinarian. Depending on where you are you may need to shop around for sources of the various chiles. These are older books so get a bargain at the online book resellers. Rick Bayless has a number of decent books too. ...
Check out Jacob Burton's Stella Culinary on YouTube or www.stellaculinary.com
Yes, at a BBQ joint in Texas. It was crispy but got stuck between my teeth. I didn't like it but understand why others might. I don't like 7-layer dip either... But understand why everyone else likes it.