or Connect

Posts by BrianShaw

I'm not sure that I would draw that conclusion, Tom.  I think you may be over-thinking the problem and listening too much to opinions of folks who over-think even more than that.  That is why I steer clear of most of these knife discussions, and I'm willing to bet this is why BDL, God bless his well-meaning heart, has vacated the premises.   Perhaps your best use of time would be to spend an hour at your local Williams Sonoma.  I know they generally have some veg...
I can relate to the plating/garnish aspects of this thread more than the cooking./recipe part.  While there are many books that balance recipe with pictures I find them only partially useful... primarily because the pictures are often highly stylized and not representative of what a home cook will get.  It is AMAZING what food stylists can do when involved in food photography!   My first impression, which may be wrong, was that the more useful tome would be one on...
I use manufacturing cream for any heavy cream application.  Have never experienced these "oil drops".
In addition to Phatch's comment that some foods tend to cause that, it is also caused by using metal utensils.  Were you using a metal paddle?  I do, and I see that kind of minor scratching (or whatever you want to call it) every once in a while.  But it is generally just an "appearance defect" and doesn't really impair future use of the wok.  Whatever you do, don't rush into any re-seasoning unless you are absolutely sure that is required.  Based on your pic, it is not. 
You can easily accomplish this by checking out the Shun knives when you go to Williams Sonoma.  Try out both the classic and the Premier lines.  Classic has a more Japanese-style handle and Premier is a more American/European handle.  The Premier may be more of what you are looking for.  Both VG-10 I believe and both incredibly sharp with good edge retention.  Plus, as a bonus... you'll be going completely against the grain of most folks here while happily prepping food...
Thanks for the additional info. Sounds like a fascinating job you have. I'm jealous!
I appreciate that kind of reminder.  Thanks. And thanks, phatch, for the reminder that quantity of roux makes a big difference in the volumetric proportions.  I should have membered that on my own  :)
I'm struggling with understanding how you would use such a short knife in a professional kitchen.  Last Christmas I bought a cermic knife about like that for my 10-year old son.  He now complains that it is too short for helping me prep a home-cooked dinner.  Sharp but too short for good leverage or "slide" when dealing with anything bigger than a herb.   Are you sure?  Only you know your needs, but I feel compelled to ask...  in Alaska I would assume that you'll be...
I'm not sure that it really matters too much - weight versus volume.  Like Phatch, I find the roux formula  be very flexible in pracical terms.  Only suggestion I have is to always cook it thoroughly and make more than is needed because the worst case situaion is to need a little more and not have it on hand.
Please clarify.  How small is "mini", and what kind of sharpening do you consider "specialized"?