or Connect

Posts by BrianShaw

I appreciate that kind of reminder.  Thanks. And thanks, phatch, for the reminder that quantity of roux makes a big difference in the volumetric proportions.  I should have membered that on my own  :)
I'm struggling with understanding how you would use such a short knife in a professional kitchen.  Last Christmas I bought a cermic knife about like that for my 10-year old son.  He now complains that it is too short for helping me prep a home-cooked dinner.  Sharp but too short for good leverage or "slide" when dealing with anything bigger than a herb.   Are you sure?  Only you know your needs, but I feel compelled to ask...  in Alaska I would assume that you'll be...
I'm not sure that it really matters too much - weight versus volume.  Like Phatch, I find the roux formula  be very flexible in pracical terms.  Only suggestion I have is to always cook it thoroughly and make more than is needed because the worst case situaion is to need a little more and not have it on hand.
Please clarify.  How small is "mini", and what kind of sharpening do you consider "specialized"?
Redundancy is not an issue.  If you get a German Chef Knife then you will have a knife that can do what your Japanese knife cannot -- cut a chicken. Don't forget Heckels in your investigations.
You are on the right track with the German chef knife.   I remove the wishbone with a small boning or paring knife, remove the backbone with scissors or a German chef knife.   If I want to take out some of the bones I bend the breast backward to pop out the breastbone.  Sometimes I use paring knife to also remove the ribs.  Then gill whole.  But at that point you can use any knife to split since it is just meat and skin.   If you really want to keep all the bones in...
No doubt and in full agreement.  BTW, that is 1/3 cup.  Ha ha ha.  With pastry all measures are relatively approximate for a successful pate so, fortunately for all of us, that level of accuracy/precision is not required.  But in general I agree with weight measures and often annotate my volume-based recipes with the equivelent weights.
Whether weight or volume measurement, multiplication of all ingredients is the answer to the original question.
Unfortunately I've seen worst.  Similar kind of place and while using the men's room I saw a cook leave the stall and walk straight into the kitchen.  He even looked into the mirror to tidy his hair but never even thought about washing his hands.  I left and never returned again.  If I had seen the spoon re-use I'd probably have left that place too.  I worry that unsanitary behavior may be more commonplace than we are aware.
Thanks very much. I found that entire series of booklets yesterday.  Great reading, but it did dissuade me a  bit from thinking about canning anything requiring pressure sterilization (I don't have a pressure cooker and wouldn't know where to store a large one anyway). I was thinking the same about pre-sterilizing the jars.  Seems like a potentially extra step if everything gets sterilized during the waterbath processing.  The dishwasher seems like a very reasonable way to...