or Connect

Posts by BrianShaw

If you take care of your knife as you describe it will take care of you over the long haul.  But it will stain and gain a patina over time.  It is inevitable.  Think performance over appearance.  If you want a shiny bright knife, then stainless is the way to go.  If you want blazing sharp, then learn to love the patina of a well used carbon blade.   Pardon the low quality photography... but here are my 3 non-Japanese carbon steel blades.
Don't be tempted.  Read between the lines (which really isn't between the lines, but at the end of their statement)... bla bla bla but wash them by hand.  It really is a silly warning!
Yes, of course. For me it is a matter of the impression a surcharge gives more than the money amount.
Yes, I know.  But the proprietor seems to think that all he needs to generate is that additional 1%.  That is why I addressed only the 1% surcharge.  Read the words.  Presumably he is willing to eat the rest of the associated costs... IDK. 
No doubt, Cheflayne... I believe those numbers.  But anyone who stays open long enough to achieve those profit levels is probably smart enough to factor ALL costs of doing business into their financial planning.  Yup, those "high-end" restaurants look very expensive to operate so a lower profit, while extremely sad to see how low it really is, is understandable.
Would any restaurant ever put a surcharge on the bill because the cost of tomatoes just went up?  Seems like the right way to run a business is to ensure that the prices charged cover all expenses plus generate a profit.  Why not just raise the prices?  From a customer perspective they will either find the higher price worth paying or not.  But adding silly surcharges makes the proprietor look like a putz... which will likely generate less good-will than would a small...
I never weighed my knives, but I think my 10 and 12-inch stamped carbon steel are substantially ligher than the forged 8 inch German chef knife.  I can't wait to hear the results of your scale!
I think there are factors in addition to height that matter.  I most often use an 8-inch, but also use 10 or 12 incjh blades.  For me (not too tall) the choice of chef knife length depends on (in priority order):   1.  Size of cutting board (bigger board allows a bigger blade) 2.  Size of item being cut (bigger item warrants a bigger blade) 3.  Counter height (higher counter tends to warrant a shorter blade) 4.  Weight of knife (lighter blade tends to warrant a longer...
Investigate an additional ingredient - invertase - to get you from where you are to where you want to be.  There was a posting on this a few months ago; you should be able to find that with little difficulty.
... and all that ruckus over a thread that hasn't been posted to since May 2011.  I sure hope the OP is okay!