or Connect

Posts by BrianShaw

Apple and cinnamon bread. Sorry... Couldn't resist and we ate half before taking a picture.
They both mix about the same. Nearly identical except for what we discussed in the other thread. Both work fine if the bowl is big enough for your recipe and the machine is powerful enough. The Sunbeam Mixmaster and Kitchenaid Artisan are about the same in both regards. The Mixmaster may be just a bit more flexible because it comes with two bowl sizes. The Kitchenaid tends to leave a bit of unmixed at the bottom of the bowl and the Mixmaster tends to leave a bit unmixed...
You should check out this recent thread. Someone was asking the same question and getting some pretty good information:   http://www.cheftalk.com/t/90392/what-kind-of-stand-mixer-should-i-get-planetary-or-rotary
For thick dough with lots of nuts and chips - like chocolate chip cookies or fruitcake - I prefer the Kitchenaid. Reason: flat beater is easier to scrape the dough off and clean than the cylindrical beaters.. When I was using the Mixmaster I would mix the batter with the beaters but change to the dough hooks for mixing in the nuts and chips. Either will get the job done, though... one just needs to know the peculiarities of the machine and work with it.
I've used both types - a Sunbeam Mixmaster (rotary) and Kitchenaid Artisan (planetary).   My favorite for batters was the Mixmaster. It was easier to add ingredients while mixing and was more complete at mixing than the Kitchenaid.   For bread, though, I prefer the single bread hook of the Kitchenaid more than the two bread hooks of the Mixmaster. In terms of speed and power they are about equal. The Mixmaster does a good job at kneading but needs to be monitored more...
I've never really ever been happy with stock made from smoked fowl. Often too strong. If I liked split pea soup I'd surely try that... and call it Kosher.  :)   Another idea is to reduce it and use it for stuffing/dressing or a savory bread pudding.
I find water in salad dressing to be a way to control an overly aggressive vinegar. Cuts the bite.  Also useful when using dried ingredients rather than fresh. Hydrates them. In the rare occasion that I use dried I hydrate them (and the salt) first in the vinegar, then emulsify with mustard, shallots, and oil... and correct with water and salt as needed.   This may be old wives tale on water, but I only use cold water. If hot is ever needed it is cold water that has been...
Good choice!
I suppose it depends a lot on where you go to school and how good a student you are. Much of that can be learned from a book, though. McGee's On Food and Cooking.
In addition to all the fine advise on mandolin use above... become more accepting of waste.  When the item being cut is too small set it aside and deal with it using a knife.