or Connect

Posts by BrianShaw

Whether it is correct or bass ackwards... who knows.  It is the only way I've made carrot cake and I've rarely had a flop. I think we are in agreement.  Bbut both "the second recipe" (which looked great to me) and the link I provided have the same "flaw - they assume a bit of process knowlege.  One thing I really wish all of these recipes would explicitly mention is what you are saying -- drizzle oil into the egg/sugar slowly while continuing to beat to ensure the mixture...
Moist, slightly dense, and not fluffy is a good description of a good carrot cake.  It will never be like a regular sponge cake texture.   Here in the US we only put water pan in oven for humidity when baking rustic crusty bread, and sometimes as a baine marie for cheesecake or custards... but not for cake.   If you want another recipe option try this (and watch the video too):  http://www.joyofbaking.com/CarrotCake.html
I have an abundance of shishito pepper this year and let a lot of them go red on the bush.  Not knowing what to do, and being too cheap to waste them, I dried the peppers and ground them.   I've read that they don't dry very good but mine did.  Very similar to the Fresno chiles I did the same with last year... another pepper that "they" say don'd fry very good.   What now; any suggestions?
If you are considering Shun, look into the Shun Classis 3-knife set. Does everything except slice bread. Can't help but repeat some of the previous: ceramic hone + wood cutting board really helps. Don't get too confused or discouraged by the extreme detail and finicky processes some would rather do than cook or eat. Focus on the most basic; you and your folks will figure out the rest. You sound like a very good child!
This made my day, maybe even made my week. 
Good for you for making crumpets.  One of my favorite bread-like oods.   How did you measure - with a tablespoon or with a scale?  If yo used a scale it should have worked out OK.  If you used a measuring spoon the amount of table salt should have been closer to 1 or 1-1/2 tsp.   I'd throw them out and try again.  But if you insist on eating, hide the saltiness by smothering them with sloppy joe or BBQ shredded pork.  :)
Me neither, exactly.  I was almost afraid to ask.  But the mention of "popcorn salt" leads me to believe that the popcorn is getting blitzed until it is fine particles and then dusted on food products.
I'd be proud to own that pan.  It has finally lost its factory virginity and is starting to look like a real experienced piece of cookware.  Sincere congratulations - that is not a problem but more a badge of honour.  Keep using it and it will improve even more!
I'm beginning to question your sincerity.  If all you intend to do is salted popcorn, then the most reasonable answer to your question is to pair it with canned beer.   But for a sweet treat, why not caramelize some sugar to drizzle over the salted popcorn, form it into a ball with a fruit center.  Make them bite-sized and serve with shaved melon that has been anointed with a squidge of lemon juice.   For a savory treat, do the same but anoint the popping oil with...
I'm assuming that you are interested in savory flavor profiles.  No matter what they may be, please ensure that the husks are effectively dealt with.  There would be nothing more annoying than to enjoy a popcorn-based amuse bouche and then be tormented by pocorn husk between the teeth/gums for the remaineder of the dinner.