or Connect

Posts by BrianShaw

So this I exactly the transition I'm making.  I generally would hot-pack into clean (not necessarily sterile, though) jars and cap with sealing lids.  Then cool and the lids would "pop".  But then I'd refrigerate or freeze for storage since I was concerned about food safety. Now I'm more interested in shelf storage. I asked my mother-in-law about her canning history and she took the first approach, shelf stored, and was happy to report that nobody ever got sick eating her...
Thanks for that good advice, Mary.  Before getting too far into my adventure I read the USDA booklets on canning and the material provided at the Ball web site.   Interestingly, Ball does not even recommend simmering lids anymore.  So I wiped them off and put them onto the jars after filling and processed in water bath.  It all worked great.  Now I have 4 pints of zucchini relish and I'm ready to make something else soon with my new-learned skills.
Nutcracker?
Right!  That is what I'm doing at this moment.  I was wondering and then remembered (after reading a USDA brochure on canning) that hot jars are better to pack hot contents into.  Duh... what I've done in the past is hot pack acidic items but not water bath process since the lids sealed OK.  Then I was refrigerating but now I want to be sure that they will be 'shelf stable".  Thanks very much.   Also I've been noting that the recommendations for processing have changed a...
I've always wanted to can things but never did it the right way.  Now is the time to get things right.  But a couple of questions:   1.  When sterilizing lids, is it also necessary to sterilize the rings?  I know they must be in place before water-bath processing but do they need to be sterile since they never touch the food?   2.  I'll be boiling jars this time, but what about other sterilization methods such as iodine sterilization used for beer bottles?  Is this a...
Datagth... "Best" size is dependent upon a few things.  Your biggest knife should fit on the diagonal of the board without going off the edges.  That is the generic guidelines for choosing a size, but that is MINIMAL guideline.  If your storage and counter allows for a bigger board then bigger is generally better.   Same goes for thickness... it depends upon your personal factors.  My biggest board is only 1" thick because I use it to knead and roll doughs.  My counters...
Since when did chopping veg become "abuse" for a knife?  If hard veg cannot be cut with a Japanese knife and your skeptical of a Chinese cleaver, then the best solution is probably a big German knife.  This isn't exactly rocket science!
Get two... makes "march chopping" much easier. I agree with the cleaver vs nakiri comment also.  Maybe it's just me, but nikiri gives me blisters for some reason.  Cleaver doesn't. But a traditional 10-inch chef knife and a big board also make vegetable chopping quite easy.
Very sad news, indeed.  I never knew him except for his influence on this forum.  I hope he knew that his willingness to share his wisdom had a profound influence on many of us, and how much will will remember and respect his contributions.  He will be remembered with great fondness and gratitude.
Trendy yuppie sandwich shop.  Or is there a more modern term than 'yuppie'?