Posts by BrianShaw

Mine's braising on the cooktop right now. Ate fish last night in keeping with Lenten tradition. One of Irish cousins told me that he gave up Lent for St Paddys Day. I should have too! Veg will cook separately in the braising liquid except potato. I like them steamed separately. Gravy is always a thickened braising liquid. Will serve with horseradish for all who want to partake. Maybe pictures later...
BTW, when FF discussed finishing with butter... that's not optional!  Cold butter, lots of it, and whisk in off the fire. Do not reheat after mounting the butter.
If you want a light(er) colored sauce then you need to stay away from the pan drippings (fond) or darker roux. Both will give you a brown sauce. Personally, for a home meal I use the fond and make a brown sauce in the manner described by FF. It will be very flavorful. Totally impress your guests by adding a pinch of fresh herb like thyme (as in your picture) or tarragon perhaps... and at the end a light flurry of minced parsley.   A whiter sauce can be make with a light...
... I've found it interesting that so far its been salt only at the end, or perhaps no salt at all. I'm assuming that FF uses salt but didn't mention it because it is a given.  :) But had I chime in earlier I would have mentioned that I always salt mushroom when sautéing to help drive the water out. One piece of information missing from this discussion that would drive me to one or another of the three vey valid techniques is when the sauce is to be prepared. Are we...
OK, I'll help you out: bunch. Rum: dark or white?
The beans are nearly the same. The plant they grow on are different. Pole bean plants are indeterminate - they keep growing and growing and like to climb... on piles. Bush (or bunch) bean plants are determinate. The only grow so big and then somewhat stop growing. I'm sure there are minute differences based on variety but... Now let's answer the question: which do you prefer? green beans - pole or bunch. Ha ha ha.
I find them to have very different tastes and us them differently. Key lime pie = SCM filling; Lime tart = curd. Why mess with tradition... it took a long time to become traditional so there must be a good reason. But whatever anyone wants to do is good with me.
Coke, every day!!! Preferably ice cold. Keep playing this silly (but fun) game or stop playing?
If you don't mind me intruding on a Japanese knife discussion... I'd like to emphasize the point made above. Most folks I know who get frustrated with sharpening often get frustrated because they try to avoid coarse stones "in the interest of saving steel" or whatever. Almost any significantly dull knife needs some time on a coarser stone before using fine stones of any kind. It may not be a whole lot of time, but... BTW, I totally agree about the assessment of 180mm...
... and here she says 1 inch. Every copy of her recipe on the internet also says 1 inch. I'd go with what the majority of people say... or verify with her book. https://www.google.com/amp/www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/outrageous-brownies-recipe3.amp Personally, I've been using Martha's brownie recipe. It's a diet recipe... only 8x8 pan so there are fewer calories! http://www.marthastewart.com/314726/fudgy-chocolate-brownies