or Connect

Posts by BrianShaw

In Ontanogan they credit the Cornish immigrants with the pasty.  I've never heard the Finnish adoption part of the story.  Very interesting.
400 deg F.  until "golden brown and delicious".  Timing is difficult to specify because it depends on the size and thickness of the pie dough treats.
Michigan, Upper Penninsula
Thanks, that helps a lot.  I as trying to reconcile the difference between the ingredient list and what I thought was in pastillage, but couldn't.  And I quite agree that the hearts must be something else, or at least a similar substance with a lot of air whipped in.  :)   If/when I try to make my own I'm thinking a pasta machine might be a good idea for rolling.   But to be honest, I must be crazy to even think about home-made wafer candies since the real Necco is...
I'm curious, what generic category of candy material is used to make those hard circular flavored disk candies with the trade name of Necco Wafer.  Is it gum paste, pastillage, or something else.  I saw a TV show in which those and candy hearts were stamped from a long sheet of candy "pasta", then dried.  But I've never been able to find a recipe.  Any information would be appreciated.
I make hot sauce using Fresno chile and no fruit.  My process is very much like in this link:   http://leitesculinaria.com/67202/recipes-homemade-sriracha-sauce.html   and this one for a more "vinegary" sauce:   http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/how-to-make-hot-sauce-zmrz11zalt.aspx#axzz38yRVXyH7   The aging of the mash makes a big difference in taste - smooths out the heat of the product for a more sophisticated taste.
Missing step: aging/fermenting the mash.
A santoukou may be too similar to your existing chef knife.  Suggest you think about the following: paring knife, bread knife, boning knife, carving knife with carving fork, and a longer chef knife before a santoukou
Any surface that isn't bumpy will work, but I think a large unfinished wooden surface is best for working with bread or pasta dough.   p.s.  Congratulations on your culinary aspirations.  My brother once graduated from mac-n-cheez (Kraft's) all the way to hot dogs.  He has been contemplating bread baking for the last decade.  Don't you wait that long before giving it a try!
This... plus a bit of Cream of Tartar as a stabilizer.  The browning is overbaking.