or Connect

Posts by BrianShaw

Folks on this forum tend to express hate for Shun (calling it "fake Japanese" and asserting that there are better bargains available) but I can assure you that if the handle feels OK in your hand you will love working with a Shun chef knife.  High quality and very sharp.  Not inexpensive but you'll be getting a great quality product for your hard-earned money.  For a different feeling handle also look into the Shun Premier... a bit fuller and more in the Western...
I don't see any reason for canning tomato if freezer space is available.  I peel, de-seed and pack in bottles with the strained juice.  Freeze until needed.  I like the fact that the tomato is uncooked and not tainted by salt/acid.
Two things for you to consider: maybe thge wok wasn't really dry enough after being washed. Dry then heat it up to make sure it is dry before storing. You may be expecting too much too fast for the seasoning. Clean it up, reseason (in the oven this time) and use, use, use the wok. That is the real secret to seasoning!
In Ontanogan they credit the Cornish immigrants with the pasty.  I've never heard the Finnish adoption part of the story.  Very interesting.
400 deg F.  until "golden brown and delicious".  Timing is difficult to specify because it depends on the size and thickness of the pie dough treats.
Michigan, Upper Penninsula
Thanks, that helps a lot.  I as trying to reconcile the difference between the ingredient list and what I thought was in pastillage, but couldn't.  And I quite agree that the hearts must be something else, or at least a similar substance with a lot of air whipped in.  :)   If/when I try to make my own I'm thinking a pasta machine might be a good idea for rolling.   But to be honest, I must be crazy to even think about home-made wafer candies since the real Necco is...
I'm curious, what generic category of candy material is used to make those hard circular flavored disk candies with the trade name of Necco Wafer.  Is it gum paste, pastillage, or something else.  I saw a TV show in which those and candy hearts were stamped from a long sheet of candy "pasta", then dried.  But I've never been able to find a recipe.  Any information would be appreciated.
I make hot sauce using Fresno chile and no fruit.  My process is very much like in this link:   http://leitesculinaria.com/67202/recipes-homemade-sriracha-sauce.html   and this one for a more "vinegary" sauce:   http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/how-to-make-hot-sauce-zmrz11zalt.aspx#axzz38yRVXyH7   The aging of the mash makes a big difference in taste - smooths out the heat of the product for a more sophisticated taste.
Missing step: aging/fermenting the mash.