or Connect

Posts by BrianShaw

Arks are slower than water stones. That's why the coarsest stone in each one of those sets is silico carbide or similar. OP, do as your heart directs but if you are really on a student budget there are inexpensive ways to sharpen a knife for cooking. I'd suggest the wider stones in the second link over the 1 inch wide in the first link. After getting a degree and good job there will always be the opportunity to upgrade and become a knife/sharpening geek! What is your ...
So, can you please talk about size a bit more (I have several double-cut boneless loin chops available and thinking of doing this as a weekend project). Butterfly and pound, I assume? What is the best thickness goal? And, what size dinner plate?
Buttermilk and corn flakes... can't get too much more Midwestern than that!
Sure, but my experience is that it doesn't take quite that long with either stainless or carbon. What I'm doing, of course, is agreeing with you but quibbling the details.   But, sure... it all goes a lot faster with power tools.  :)   One does need to be careful and not too scared of doing enough of the work with the coarse stones. My experience is that many folks have a certain fear of the coarse stone and don't use it enough. Unfortunately that leads to frustration...
I've been having the same craving. Not being from the Midwest... and never having eaten one of these delights... but having seen pictures of them many times I assume that the breading is a traditional 3-stepbreading: seasoned flour, egg, and bred crumb.
Another possibility, especially for a college student, is to get some affordable Arkansas stones. I've used this type of approach for German Stainless as well as Japanes VG-10 and American/French carbon steel with success. The ones I use most are the naturalwhetstone Tri-Hone.. with a surgical black for polishing.   http://www.bestsharpeningstones.com/catalog/Arkansas_EZ_Hone.htm   http://www.naturalwhetstone.com/productssharpening.htm
There's also onions known as"sweet" that are less offensive. And red/yellow pepper are often reasonable subs for green pepper, and they are less pungent to the taste. Or the old chef tricks - rinsing under cold water and sautéing.
My formula for 1 lb of pasta: 2 TBSP flour and a boatload of butter to bind 3 Cups of dairy. Then a pile (1 lb maybe) of cheese.
Another way of making mac and cheese without a roux is the recipe affectionately known as "President Reagan's mac and cheese".  It uses an egg custard to bind the cheese sauce. I'd much rather use a roux, though.