or Connect

Posts by BrianShaw

Update:   So the F. Dick polished packers steel arrived yesterday and I had a few minutes to play with it.  When used against a carbon steel carving knife it took a good edge and "polished it" into a really fine edge.  Normally I would use the ceramic and get a fine edge, but my first impression is at the polished steel resulted a finer edge.  Now I'm not regretting buying it.  For a while I thought I'd end up with another redundant piece of equipment but it seems like...
p.s.  My Dad was a butcher at a hot dog factory while working his way through college.  He talked of sharpening daily and honing throughout the shift on a piece of rubber hose.  But that was in "the olden days" - middle of the 20th century.
Thanks Rick; good input.  I suppose what my real question is this (which only I can answer, I suppose), "Should I have bothered buying the polished F. Dick steel that is being delivered tomorrow?"  I got curious and bought one after thinking long and hard about it... but with no real knowledge that it will perform any better than what I already have.   Hope your doing OK in the snow; I saw a pic of the main street of my hometown outside of Boston and it was white, deep,...
For those kind of cookies and that application I have standardized my recipes and cookie size by prior experimentation.  Consistency is EVERYTHING for what you need to do.  There are a lot of variable involved and scoop size is one of them that affects both the final cookie size and the bake time.  (One of the best kitchen equipment investments I ever made was a small collection of dishing scoops in the sizes I most often use.)  Doing that experimentation at the moment of...
I've always used a "standard steel" (rather coarsely ridged) for straightening the edge on German (Henckels four-star) and carbon steel American and French knives, and a 1200 grit ceramic for Western-style Japanese knives (Shun VG-10).  That combination seems to work well and over the years my preference has slowly shifted to using the smoother ceramic on all knives.   But now I'm considering the alternatives and have questions for anyone who has real...
I believe they use Thermapen.   http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/   Whichever model they use, it has an uncanny nack for always showing the right temperature at the exact moment the camera needs the right temp to be shown. 
Are you sure your soda is fresh; I've never had a slow or absent reaction (although I've only made this confection a couple of times).  I always stirred with spoon, BTW.
I've never heard of adding treacle.  Maybe some brown sugar (demerara to you??) but never felt the need for it.   There are many recipes around but I've been using a "simplified" recipe that works quite well:   boil 3 oranges (or lemons) for 2 hours.   when cool enough to handle, peel and scrape the white pith from the skin.  (I use a spoon and take off whatever comes off and leave the rest.   In a 3 quart pot, bring 2 cup sugar and 2 cup water to a boil.   Puree...
Return it.
If it looks bent to you; it probably really is bent. When I bought a knife that was. When I returned it immediately and had to listen to the "it makes no functional difference" and "its not bent very much" comments. It might not make functional difference, but if you see the bend today you will see the bend forever.