or Connect

Posts by Powerdog

I found the old installation manual, and it does have an "air shutter" screw near the burner. Open the gap to eliminate yellow tipping, it says.   Does that sound about right?
No adjustment screw mentioned in the manual. I cleaned the jets as best I could, using a wire brush. It burns blue for a few seconds, then the flame grows to about 4 inches (without a pan on it) of bright yellow. 
I have an old, 4-burner Viking gas cooktop that's aways been used with propane. Of the two front burners, one is fine.   In the past year or so, the other has started to deposit a thick layer of carbon on the bottom of cookware. What's likely to be the problem?
Take the idea for a self-saucing chocolate cake (cocoa, sugar, and hot water poured on top make the sauce) and tell me how you'd do it for butterscotch or caramel flavor. I thought of pouring on a mixture of browned butter, brown sugar, and hot water, but I think it might be too thin.
I'm going to try it with a butterflied whole roasting chicken. At the supermarket, I couldn't believe the difference in cost. For about 7.5 lbs, the chicken was about $7, and the turkey breast over $27. AND the chicken was "minimally processed" while the turkey had that cheap broth/salt water they like to inject.    Or maybe I'll do two casserole dishes, one with parts that take longer. Then I can time them separately.
I would have thought the turkey needs more time than the stuffing.
I'm thinking of roasting a turkey breast part-way in the oven, then resting it (skin side up) on a bed of homemade stuffing in a casserole dish to finish the roasting.   Any reason this wouldn't work?
Just to clarify: I inherited it when it was in bad shape, and I don't really care about a wood handle. Plastic, nylon, metal etc would be fine. What I like is the shape...fairly straight line from edge to bottom of handle. I don't have good depth perception, and a chef's knife makes it hard for me to judge where I'm cutting. I have more control and hand-eye coordination with this type.
I use it so much, I thought an upgrade in quality would be enjoyable. That one and my paring knife are my favorites. I should get used to the chef's knife I have, but I've just never felt comfortable with it.   I've considered both the high-end retail brands and the generic ones sold at the restaurant supply stores.
I have this much-abused Henckels knife that I'd like to replace with something of the same size and shape. What type is it? A utility knife? Thanks.