or Connect

Posts by Powerdog

I like to cook a strip steak on high in a cast iron skillet for about 2 minutes/side, and almost no fat renders into the pan. It tastes wonderful, but I just tried to imagine how a grill pan could make it even better. 
When cooking a steak, is there any difference besides appearance when you use a grill pan on a stovetop vs a cast iron skillet?
The manual for my new Bosch induction warns to only use Autochef (temperature maintaining feature) with suitable pans, which are, of course, available from Bosch at extra cost. Their pans are stainless/aluminum clad with non-stick, and I have others (non-stick and regular) that are made with the same sandwich. Is the warning about using Bosch pans mostly a sales gimmick?
Are the handles the main difference between a sauté pan and a brazier like this:   https://www.katom.com/158-5724009.html   IE, can they be used for the same things?
What about a mortar & pestle?
I have some frozen melon chunks and strawberries that I'd like to thaw and use in smoothies. However, I'd rather not add another appliance to my countertop, especially one that needs hand cleaning. Best for me is something I can use and put in the dishwasher.   Do you think a potato ricer would be up to this task? I should add that I will never want kale in my smoothie, that I only need one serving at a time, and that I don't care if the drink is really smooth. I just...
I found the old installation manual, and it does have an "air shutter" screw near the burner. Open the gap to eliminate yellow tipping, it says.   Does that sound about right?
No adjustment screw mentioned in the manual. I cleaned the jets as best I could, using a wire brush. It burns blue for a few seconds, then the flame grows to about 4 inches (without a pan on it) of bright yellow. 
I have an old, 4-burner Viking gas cooktop that's aways been used with propane. Of the two front burners, one is fine.   In the past year or so, the other has started to deposit a thick layer of carbon on the bottom of cookware. What's likely to be the problem?
Take the idea for a self-saucing chocolate cake (cocoa, sugar, and hot water poured on top make the sauce) and tell me how you'd do it for butterscotch or caramel flavor. I thought of pouring on a mixture of browned butter, brown sugar, and hot water, but I think it might be too thin.