or Connect

Posts by Katie Etouffee

I always have my tattered little notebook. In my restaurant we have master recipe books because the place has been open for over ten years and we have a lot of repeat business that expects a very consistent product. But my tattered little notebook contains notes for specials (and the specials definitely aren't in the recipe files), minutes of meetings with my executive chef, plate maps, little ideas that come over me suddenly, and unfortunately the occasional necessary...
Sure, an integral part of being a good grill cook is the ability to bring any given cut and type of meat to a designated temperature on a consistent basis. In fact, that's kind of the baseline requirement. There's a lot more to it. Your line cook skills need to be impeccable if you work in a high-volume grill situation - if the grill cook is off, chances are the saute and fry stations will take a big hit as a result and everyone's timing will be shot. By line cook...
this might work: take a half hotel pan and put some wood chips in the bottom. put a perforated half pan on top and lay the peppers on it. cover this with a shallow half pan, or if you have a stainless half pan lid, use that. put it on the burner on medium low heat for about ten minutes if you want to "hot-smoke" it, or bring it just to the smoking point on medium high heat and then pull it off and let it rest (covered, of course) for about twenty minutes to...
Citronelle (modern French) is commonly acknowledged to be the best in town, followed closely by Galileo (Italian), Vidalia (modern American/Southern), and 1789 (traditional French). On the other hand, arguably one of the top five restaurants in America, The Inn at Little Washington, is located about an hour and a half outside the city, in Washington, Virginia. Check out http://www.dirona.com/find_seosearch_washingtondc.html - DiRONA stands for Distinguished...
We're getting a lot of substitution requests, i.e. keep the proteins and sauces but 86 the rice fritter or the sesame tuile or polenta or whatever. As far as people asking us to put things on the menu ... We don't hear about that. Maybe my exec or sous might hear something at the end of a shift or at a managers' meeting, but during service, a server would get a limb amputated if they came back to tell us a customer wants to write our menu for us. By the way, we've...
a co-worker of mine just staged at wd-50 last weekend. came back with one **** of a menu. he seems interested in the job, more so than the other places in nyc he's staged at. it seems to be a real up-and-comer.
So, my knife roll is filling out rather nicely, and I almost have everything I need for work. The one necessary piece I'm missing is a meat fork. I've been looking around online, and the usual brands and styles are catching my eye, along with some weird novelty/collectors' pieces (antique mother-of-pearl handles! wallace sterling in my mother's pattern, Rosepoint! et cetera). Anyway, I guess what I want to know is, as far as cooking meat and fish in large cast-irons...
Antoine's is one of the most romantic and tasty places I've ever been in my life. It's easily the best of the old-guard, traditional New Orleans haute cuisine places (the others being Galatoire's - also very very good; Commander's Palace - a little fusty but pretty sensational nonetheless; Brennan's - kind of touristy; the Court of Two Sisters - inconsistent but phenomenal when "on"). Treat yourself to a meal at Antoine's, Tujague's, and Peristyle, if I had to choose...
heheh.... yeah, kitchen work keeps me pretty much swamped, but when I'm not cooking, I'm a working musician. i play piano, guitar, a little bass, and i sing and write music. DC has a lot of new opportunities for me in that area, so i'm looking forward to getting involved with the music community here as well. so if i'm not cooking or jamming, i try to sleep some! :) anyway, thanks for welcoming me ... you folks seem like a great bunch.
In my years of experience with cooking, I've found a strange conundrum: no one outside the industry really understands what you're going through when you get off work and you're completely strung out on the stress and madness of working the way that we do, but at the same time, the people who work with you and understand what you're going through are the least compatible people in the world to have a real relationship with because their psychoses are the same as yours; in...