or Connect

Posts by Cook Not Mad

What is the best meal of your life? The answer can be very detailed or it could have been a bottle of wine , some bread and someone special. Try to include all of your senses not just taste or sight. Bring the whole experience to light. I hope it brings many pleasant memories to you. Happy cooking
   If you are looking for knowledge the five volume Modernist Cuisine set by Nathan Myhrvold and his team contains more info that an average person can absorb. It is way beyond a cookbook it is an oracle for modern cooking. It is an University course on modern cooking. Ignore it and be left behind. In volume 4  it has 14 separate photos of a hard boiled egg cut in half to show the texture and qualities of cooking an egg. It also has the temperatures as well. It is so...
              The collecting of cookbooks is one of my greatest passions. I am not a big collector of just recipe( w/o culinary knowledge) books as if I understand technique and how food reacts and interacts and it's flavours I can cook dinner. Of course I have a lot of recipe books but they all have more food info as well. A good example of this is the wonderful Modernist Cuisine set. If a cook studies and learns most of this essential information and practices the...
       Good day fellow lovers of food , first point I would like to say is that the language that we are using to describe the education process may be flawed . Calling it chef school ( not by the school )when it is actually a cook school could possibly be confusing the young cooks what they will be when they graduate . The school will sell more spots in their classes if they can allude to a greater success . Ask any honest instructor what level you will be when you...
broiler stretcher , left handed monkey wrench , buckets of steam , chicken lips . My personal fave is to get someone to chop flour and please use 2 knives to be done quicker.
                      Since you are not getting payed you will want to minimize the stress level . I suggest the day before grill 50 6oz steaks to med- rare , cover with fried mushrooms and onions , let cool , put in 2 inch hotel pan ,  wrap with plastic wrap , then with foil . Mark foil with marker " steak" . Reserve . In another hotel pan put bacon ,  nice sausage , small grilled ham steaks . Repeat covering steps and write on with marker "breakfast meat". In another...
Good day , more reasons for cooking wines   - the export tax for food ( cooking wine ) is about 50% of the export tax for regular wine , that can be a difference of a few dollars a bottle. This is probably the main one. - most thirsty staff members will not drink cooking wine or salted alchoholic cooking liquers , but some will !! - to make money off wine that could not be sold as regular vintages