or Connect

Posts by scott123

Although, technically, erythritol's low molecular weight will allow it to pass through just about anything (including the stomach), you are correct, the bulk of it is absorbed from the small intestine. Thanks for clarifying that. Although erythritol and the other sugar alcohols do share some similarities, to lump them under the same digestive umbrella would be highly erroneous. Digestively speaking, erythritol is an entirely different animal. No other SA passes through...
...in it's crystallized/undissolved state. If you can keep erythritol dissolved, though, it has zero cooling effect. Another feature of dissolved erythritol is it's perceived sweetness. Your mouth can only detect sweetness in whatever it can dissolve. Because of crystallized erythritol's insolubility, it dissolves poorly in your mouth and you get far less sweetness than if it was in a syrup form. Think about how unsweetened ice tea tastes when you add sugar to it and the...
Onions give off a lot of water, so this process would end up steaming/boiling them more than sweating them. Caramelized onions, in order to reach their peak taste/texture, need to sweat. I find the best flavor is achieved by sweating a single layer, but... if you work with a higher temp, use plenty of fat and keep the onions moving (preventing steam from building up too much), a few layers can be forged into a stellar product. If, in the past, I needed a large amount of...
I've tried pressing ginger in an Italian cast aluminum garlic press. It didn't work- squeezed some juice out, nothing more. I've got a mini food processor that works well for larger amounts and I've also made up batches of ginger paste in the blender and frozen it in cubes. I've tried mincing ginger with a chef's knife and I can't say I'm much of fan. I like my ginger completely pulverized- something that takes patience to achieve with a chefs knife. My favorite...
Yes, you are correct. I mis-read your post. Looking back I see that you were referring to the widely recognized as safe 'natural, uprocessed' form of stevia. If you can handle the taste of ground stevia leaves or the alcohol extracted tincture, all power to you. Me... I wouldn't feed that stuff to my worst enemy. Stevia extract has some taste issues when compared to sugar, but unprocessed stevia is one of the worst things I've ever consumed. Period. Well, first of all,...
The phrase 'high fructose corn syrup is bad, but low GI is good' is contradictory, as high fructose corn syrup is actually lower GI than table sugar (due to the presence of a slightly larger amount of low GI fructose). Because of the myriad number of health issues associated with fructose, the glycemic index is a poor barometer for healthy vs. non healthy sugars. It's a jumping off point in understanding the impact of sugars, but it's definitely not the whole picture.
1. Please show me the studies where Splenda produced 'adverse health effects.' 2. Stevia leaves have been used safely for centuries. Stevia extract, the sweetener used in supplements, has a much shorter history. Here are two studies that demonstrate the dangers of stevia extract: "Metabolically activated steviol, the aglycone of stevioside, is mutagenic". Proc Natl Acad Sci U.S.A. 82 (8): 2478-82. "Evaluation of the genotoxicity of stevioside and steviol using six in...
I'm probably going to get some flack for saying this, but, generally speaking, food scientists can't cook. It's a left brain, right brain thing. I love Shirley Corriher, Alton Brown and Robert Wolke and hang on to their every word... but... their recipes leave a lot to be desired. Molecular gastronomy, though, changes the playing field a bit. It marries art and science- both hemispheres of the brain. If Herve This or Harold McGee opened a restaurant, I'd be there in...
I've read everything he's written as well, and, although he continues to be extremely entertaining... his ferocity/edge appears to be waning. I don't foresee anything with the intensity of Kitchen Confidential coming out anytime soon. He can dream of hunting mice, but let's face it, he's a house cat now.
Bananas are extremely high in naturally occuring sugar. If your father is watching his sugar intake for health reasons, he needs to watch ALL his sugar, not just the white granular variety. Although some whole food fanatics seemed to be under the misconception that natural sugars are somehow healthier than refined sugars, as far as your body is concerned, it makes no distinction. At least not for people with sugar related illnesses. To someone watching their sugars, all...