or Connect

Posts by Paul Palumbo

We were doing a banquet for some company whose name escapes me.  There were 300 or so of the top people from this company and they had been promised a pig roast by the catering department.  No problem.  I ordered and had delivered two whole pigs ready for the spit.  I woke up around 3:00 AM to get the pig wired to the spit and set up the barbecue pit. No problem again.  That accomplished I set the pig on the pit which was a portable unit with wheels.  I laid a nice bed...
Good Thread.   Congrats on the new knives.  When I was cooking full time I found it difficult to keep an edge on my knives.  One reason is that it is hard, even if  you are practiced and know what you are doing to keep the angle consistent at all times.  One time you might have a 15 degree angle and the next a 17 degree angle.  And it can vary from tip to heel.  There are so many variables that make it difficult to find consistency.  I know there are a lot of people...
  Ellington Ridge Country Club One fateful day when I was 14 or 15 years old I was looking for something to do.  I had been working at various jobs from the time I was about 7 years old.  Before that it was filling a little red wagon full of corn on the cob that my dad bought in 100 lb. burlap sacks, and going door to door in the neighborhood and selling the corn by the dozen. But one day in the summer after school had let out my brother in law said he thought he...
Rice vinegar works really well as it has virtually no aftertaste.  I love poached eggs, as they are easy and sooo good.  Sunday brunch at the LDR had us doing hundreds of poached eggs for the buffet.  Once you get it figured out, it becomes second nature.  As for the egg fobia, Wow!  We are all weird in our own ways so don't be too hard on yourself.  Have a good one.   Paul
Squaw candy indeed.  When I was the executive chef at the Elkhorn Resort at Sun Valley, I had a family that caught and smoked their own salmon in Alaska.  I bought everything they produced and one of the best items they made was squaw candy.  My customers loved it.
The handle on this knife actually works for me.  I like it, and it fits in my hand rather comfortably.  I have large hands and the way we chefs hold knives makes it fit quite nicely.  And as I am slightly above average as a home cook they do work quite well for me.  As for price I purchased mine at a Home Goods store on sale for around $39.  It was perfect pricing for what I consider to be one of the better knives I own.  And, I have spoken to Clay regarding the Wicked...
I hope I don't step on any toes here, but I just want to put my two cents in on this discussion.  As far as the Katana knife goes from Caphalon I think they are really great.  I purchased the 8" chef knife that you are talking about and I have to tell you that it is a very nice knife.  It comes from the factory with a great edge, and with a few strokes on a good steel it comes back like a charm.  I personally don't care if the etching on the blade gets scratched, all I...
On the subject of words and phrases that rub me the wrong way, and someone said it before, anything that comes out of the mouth of Rachel Ray.  And please with all this celebrity chef garbage.  I mean I don't fault them for taking advantage of an opportunity to make a pile of money from being in this profession.  God knows it's difficult enough to make a living doing what we do.  But give me a break.  How about the guy that gets out of bed at 4 in the morning to get...
I've considered toying around with a "chef's special" which would be a dish not normally served, with ingredients purchased for that specific purpose.  An example would be a lamb dish, in a restaurant that doesn't normally serve lamb.  In such instances, it's not "oh crap, I have too much x and need to push it" but rather a true special dish for that day.       That in fact is what a chef's special should be.  The last restaurant I worked in was Restaurant Du...
Well said, well written and right on.     Let me put it this way. A little over a week ago I ate in a college dormitory cafeteria. Classic style: hot stuff in steamer trays, open salad bar with sneeze guard, drink dispensers, pick up your tray and dishes and silverware as you come in, that stuff. Everything was labeled. One station had pizza, and the sign said, "Our signature crust topped with...." Give me a break already!   I think the word "signature" makes...