or Connect

Posts by IceMan

Chefross ... You can't find good employees who WANT to work because ... they're too stupid to understand any kinda work ethic for the scale of pay offered. The United States is the "Land of Entitlement". Far far too many people think that they are just supposed to get stuff because it's the way it is. You answered your own "?" with why I can teach homeless people how to cook. "WORK ETHIC" ... very simple. Jimyra ... Education is my main field of work. I have been an...
OK ... I'm not sayin' ... I'm just sayin'. Anyone that can't learn "the basics" of most applications, outside of really fast knife work, through o-t-j training, just doesn't want to work or doesn't need a job. O-t-j training needs to be through in less than a week's worth of shifts too. You gotta know that kinda stuff walking in ... or you should go to Micky D's and just call it a day on the career idea. On the other hand ... and I'm not calling you out here FoodPump on...
I can learn "the basics" at Joe's Diner. I teach homeless guys the basics when I'm cooking at shelters. In all actuality ... they get pretty good. Are they Japanese knife demo guys?!? NO. But for the $$$ they would earn in any basic eats place, they're good enough. I'm not spending CIA $$$ on learning the basics. Are you aware of the CIA ... it's the place I went ... the last thing I wanted to learn there was "the basics" of anything. You can't even get in there without...
For MY culinary school $$$ they can show me how to do manual skill stuff ... ONCE ... then I'll go master that "no brain needed" - "any absolute clown can do it" - "why am I spending money learning a muscle-memory task" skill on my own. For MY $$$ I want to learn different ways and styles to cook things ... why you cook things certain ways to get specific results ... how herb/seasoning "A" goes with specific ingredient "B" and why it works. (I could go on here ... but...
That is a pretty cool story. ... As long as you realize that it's got nothing to do with knowing how to cook food but ... "business savvy". Now for me ... being what a nut-job that I am, going to culinary school was not at all to learn anything about "business savvy" but to learn ... ready for this ... how to cook food. Any decent JuCo/ComCol can teach you about business savvy. AND IT'S CHEAP. I was not about to spend CIA-type $$$ to learn any business savvy. Maybe ......
WOW.
Well ...... OK then.>
I'm curious here ... Just how many people have the ability to cut, by hand, anything like a roast, "paper thin" ? 
Hey look ... I'm not sayin' ... I'm just sayin'. We work in kitchens ... It ain'te rocket surgery. LOL backatcha'.
I hope whatever you use is younger than this thread. Post 16 of 18: 6/22/01