or Connect

Posts by IceMan

This is a cool thread. I found it, as happens a lot, through looking for something else. Being that I don't drink much old wine (read = expensive), I use a decanter for most of the "pop'n'pour" wines that I do drink. For me, it helps to blow off any excess alcohol that may be there. It helps the wine breathe and open up to express the flavors that the drinker is looking for. Decanters come in many shapes and sizes. The few I have are old-fashioned Italian restaurant types...
WTF?!? I was just invited (last week) to be a contestant on "Top Chef". I graciously said "Thank You very much.", and declined. I think I'll be needing some therapy. YES, I said this same thing in a different thread, but I think only 2 people read it.
Once upon a time, a Prince asked a beautiful Princess, "Will you marry me?" The Princess said, "Hell No!" And the Prince lived happily ever after and rode motorcycles and dated skinny long-legged full-breasted women and cheerleaders and lingerie models half his age and hunted and fished and raced cars and went to naked bars and drank whiskey and beer and stayed out all night and never heard bitching at home and never had to pay child support and alimony and kept his house...
Sauteed mushrooms and grilled onions ... over a bigger steak. Salt and pepper too (freshly ground ... of course). NO other sides needed. Maybe you could also eat a handful of potato chips while you are grilling the steak. That would be OK.
THANK YOU, laurenlulu. NO, I'm not incredible though. It seems as though I just do what I do really cool, and someone was interested. To tell you the truth, I can't figure out what they saw in me all so much. If I pulled each and every one of my tricks out of my magical chef bag I might make it through the second week ... and only if 2 others really sucked. I come with lots of baggage that wouldn't go over well on the show. I won't touch foie gras or veal; no way no how....
I don't know, maybe this is a simple answer or maybe it's goofy. Make a batch and keep it cold in the walk-in. When ordered, throw a big glob in a skillet, heat it up to desired temp and serve it up. Am I missing something here?
"Bullying" has never been any kind of good idea. Telling another worker to "grow a pair" or any other such garbage is stupid too.  In the past I was really fast to grab people that aggravated me and just simply punch them out. That is not a good idea either. The biggest percentage of us don't make enough $$$ from the kitchen to end up shortening our lives because of excess tension and/or stress. 
I make a zillion or so raviolis at a time, all squished out by hand. After making 6-8, depending on the tray size, I dust them off in regular ap flour to dry up the outside, then lay them on the tray. They are all touching and overlapped. After an hour or so in the freezer they are solid frozen enough to take from the tray and fill up a freezer bag. I've never had any sticking problem. My ravioli go from freezer to boiling water. I boil them up per order. 8-minutes usually...
OK. THIS is the "Next Time" ... And I just said "NO". WTF?!? I was just invited to be a contestant on "Top Chef". I graciously said "Thank You very much", and declined. I think I'll be needing some therapy.