or Connect

Posts by IceMan

Kad ... just as a thought here ... the post before yours was eight(8) years ago. I like this thread too though, so I'll also play along. I find it insulting when people tell me that I should make dishes a different way (theirs). I am greatly insulted when people salt my dishes before tasting. People should shut-up about telling anything about wearing my "whites" anywhere. I have many more colored chef coats than white anyway. I'm honored when other chefs eat in my...
Don't worry about it. Culinary school is a great thing. Shoot ... I went to one and I'm not all that screwed up. Just do understand too though how correct a statement it is to not expect to get a TV show real quick. I've said it before I'm sure, that I love the benefits of experience as much as anybody. At the same time, clowns that only have skill-experience that don't know the science of cooking/ingredients/styles are a problem too. That was the basis of why I...
However old the origination of this information may be ... the outcome is once again and will always continue to be the same. "Take all the time you want. Use however much effort you have. You can even die for whatever you believe in. You will never beat "BIG MONEY". "Big Money" thinks for what is now. "Big Money" has no concern for what will happen tomorrow. The politicians that are bought are all the same, "Where will the $$$ come from to keep me elected?". On the...
I'm not all so sure that recommendations from the top-pro biggest names of an industry are all that useful for regular lunch-bucket blue-collar working-stiffs. They are who they are and you and I are who we are. Having big dreams and seeing the world through rose-colored glasses is real fun and easy for 13-14 year-olds, but most all of that is a far far cry from the real world.
Well ... I'm thinking "light-weight cast-iron" sounds like a goofy combination, but what the heck. Tramontina usually gets good reviews from what I remember. It's only $30. Why not?
The reviews you read on CKTG are all just fine. Buy the knife that you like and want, not what someone tries to sell you.
We get paid for putting good food on plates that we want to come back empty. In all the kitchens I worked in last year, the most important quality need was the ability to speak Spanish. From the beginning of this thread, the things I've found the most non-important was the ability to make hollandaise sauce and/or a French omelet. That written test thing was a really good laugher too. Please think to yourself of all the places that you know of or have worked in where a...
Is there any value to this "mystery box" thing if whatever is made is not on the menu? Why not just hand said applicant a menu and say "Make this, that and something else"?!? Doesn't it make sense to have someone cook something from the station that you plan to put them at?!? We work in kitchens ... This ain'te rocket surgery.
LOL. OK. For all those of you that just gotta test w/ a hollandaise, I had a guy walk in a shelter kitchen yesterday morning that would knock your socs off. Whenever I can I like to make a type of eggs benedict for the kitchen helpers. It's kinda like a cross of an eggs-b w/ an egg mc-muffin. Anyway ... the guy wants to help and jumps right in. He throws a stick of butter and a carton of egg-beaters in the blender w/ some lemon zest and some s&p. Blitzamundo. He then...
Thank You for that response.