or Connect

Posts by chefbrian

Okay, boar_d_laze, thanks for the link. That Golden Coffee Cake (Kliņģeris) recipe is exactly what I'm looking for. The saffron and yeast threw me in that first recipe you gave a link to because it was so different from the Russian version I had. Saffron seems rather odd, but I guess that's what they use. Seems a lot like Danish Kringle - using yeast. Much appreciated. Thanks.
Umm, not sure we're talking the same thing here, boar_d_laze. If you Google that term in images, you'll pull up a nice picture - figure 8 shaped as the loaf is suppose to be. Can't post a picture here because I don't have enough posts! And the page is in some foreign language. Actually, the following is a recipe for this cake given to me by someone from Russia, but I was wondering how authentic it was. That's why I was looking for a traditional recipe to...
Did a search and couldn't find a recipe on this forum Same thing with Google. Does anyone have an authentic recipe for a Latvian cake called "Klingeris"?
Well, a cheesecake is really just a custard, not a cake, and I'd say 400* was way too high, even with a baine marie. Those eggs are just going to coagulate and make the cake tough. You have to use a lower temperature to make the cake creamy and soft. I don't see how you're going to avoid cracks in the cake either at the higher temperature. But if you're going to cover the top up somehow I suppose it doesn't matter.
A "mirror" always looks fine on such a cheesecake. Glaze 1 (300 g) package frozen strawberries, thawed 1/2 cup sugar 1 1/2 teaspoons gelatin - Press thawed strawberries through fine sieve to make 3/4 cup juice. - In saucepan, bring juice,and sugar to a boil over medium-high heat;cook stirring, for 30 seconds or until dissolved. - Dissolve gelatin in small bowl in several tablespoons of cold water - Whisk 1/4 cup juice into gelatin in bowl;let stand...
"The crust of the cake is usually most of the impurities that float to the top, like raw sugars, bug part and such"? I'm not disputing your statement, panini, but where the heck did you dig up that piece of information? By the way, the accepted filth level for chocolate by the U. S. Food and Drug Administration is an average is 60 or more insect fragments per 100 grams when 6 100-gram subsamples are examined OR any 1 subsample contains 90 or more insect...
Actually, Nicko, I market the products up here in Canada. Being a chef, I support the idea of whole food nutrition as opposed to taking pills and vitamins and diet shakes and all that stuff. True, the Brain Garden products may seem expensive. I suppose though if you were to buy all the ingredients and prepare them yourself, the cost would probably be even higher. The reality of the situation, to be honest, is that like all Network Marketing companies, the products are...
Was reading the questions about the colour in the pizza crust of Gino's East. I don't live in Chicago and have never heard of Gino's, but the comment about using food coloring is partly correct. The product used to give the color shown in the photo at **** Good Food Blog is called Yolkoline. Have made tons of Egg Bread using the stuff. It gives the correct color and is cheap to use - a few drops go a long way. Ordinary yellow food colouring invites problems. You can...
I noticed everyone that answered your question approaced it from the standpoint of adjusting the recipe. As an alternative, you might consider brushing the cake rounds (or slab) with simple syrup. Better yet, brush it with milk for vanilla cake or chocolate milk for chocolate cake. Just don't add too much!
Hi Tom I was just reading a post about tiramisu in another section and followed a link to a recipe on pastry cream. I noticed on the site they had a detailed recipe for the yule log complete with pictures and what not. You can check it out at: http://pastrychef.com/htmlpages/reci...e_de_noel.html . Makes 3 logs, but worth a look for sure.