or Connect

Posts by boarcephus

Are any of you all familiar enough with Japan to know if any of the knife producers there were affected by these disasters?    
Ok, I'm having a dilemma here folks.   I just got my Victorinox Forschner chef's knife today (I bought it in addition to the Kasumi's because it's cheap and I've heard such great things).   Well, I'm having a hard time seeing $150 worth of difference in these knives.  The Vic even outperformed my Kasumi in some regards.  fluidity of cut being number 1   I'm aware that some of you accomplished sharpeners go ahead and give your new knives a good working over...
I got the knives yesterday and holy crap are they sharp out of box.  easily shaved arm hair, probably would do face but I'm not going there.    after a good wash I diced up everything I could find in the house.  Good times.  compared every slice with my old henckles knife and the difference in cleanliness of cut was just amazing.   I'm a little underwhelmed in the handle but I'm sure I'll get used to it.  the rivets kind of get in the way on the paring knife,...
Well, a month later I think I've decided what I'll be buying.   Going with   10" Kasumi Chef         http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=16646440&RN=392&KSKU=119829&   3" Kasumi Paring        http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=16646237&RN=392&KSKU=119829&   5.5" Kasumi utility       http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=16646296&RN=392&KSKU=119829&   King Combi Stone   idahone steel   John Boos 18" x 18"    ...
I talked to store manager at BBB and he said he would consider the C&M offer and match it for the Masahiro knives.  If he was unable to match he said he could at least wave the shipping costs and give me one of those nifty 20% off coupons.   I'm still having a hard time deciding between the Kasumi or Masahiro. (also read some good pub on the Shun Elite if anyone has an opinion please share!)   Though my wife rarely uses my knives she IS left handed and the 80/20...
We forgot to make these for the traditional NYEve meal but my wife wanted me to use the can she bought anyway.   i was just going to put them in the sauce pan and heat n' eat but they were pretty Narsty just out of the can.    I added about 1 tsp chulula hot sauce                      1 tsp puree chipotle in adobo                      2-3 tsp (or a Tbsp) of honey     it really wasn't too bad, I'm sure I need to tweek the honey amount because you could...
In reply to tBN, I really don't know where to start with sharpening equipment.  I do realize that it would be a shame to have that beautiful masahiro or kasumi and not be able to even steel it.  any suggestions here?
Wow, That's embarrassing!  It never occured to me to look at all of the open stock knives. BBB carries a lot more brands than I thought.  I will certainly be picking up a Victorinox 10" blade.  I've actually been wanting one for a while because I've heard they are an astounding knife for the price.  Can anyone tell me the difference between the fibrox and rosewood handles?  are the blades different or are they just different handles?   the masahiro's look kick...
History - I love to cook.  I'm not terribly adventurous, more of a recipe follower but it's still a lot of fun. however, it's more often than not just for my 3 person family.   Equipment - ummm, yeah....i bought some freaking Ronco knives about 10 years ago.  needless to say, I don't use any of them except when I really want to hack into something.                  - I thought I was really going uptown when I bought a Henkel's premio 8" chef's knife   wants - I...