or Connect

Posts by yellowflamingo

Cupcakes, Cookies, and Brownies aren't too difficult to make- I would maybe say it might be better to get a job at several different bakeries that specialize in these and learn there. You'll be saving money and learning how to successfully run a bakery! Of course the trick is actually getting the job which can be difficult if you're from another country and haven't been to school! Good luck!
Hi! I'm living in Paris now and just graduated from the Cordon Bleu. One of my friends is doing a stage for pastry and works 12 hours a day for no pay. This is pretty common especially in France. They are required to start paying you the base rate after two months. The experience is huge if you are working in a good restaurant, and it is good to put on your resume of course. I would ask them if it is paid and if so, what your salary would be. As far as living expenses, you...
Hey Destined2Cook!   I'm not sure how Ferrandi does it, but I know that with the Cordon Bleu they had a person that would help you find an apartment using a list of people that their students have rented from in the past. Most of the students though did it on their own. Like any major city, finding an apartment is quite the task. I'm from Dallas, TX and was used to just walking into an apartment complex in an area that I liked and asking if they had any apartments...
Hey! I'm in Paris now studying at the Cordon Bleu in Paris! As the other post-er said, I'm not sure if it is better or worse than Ferrandi but I've certainly heard good things about the school. The Cordon Bleu's that are abroad are completely different than those in the States, which is why I ended up here. If you have any questions about how much French you need to know to study here, living in Paris, etc, let me know! Happy to help! You can also check out my blog:...
I know LCB Paris has a good program...? Not sure if it's the best? Maybe look for schools that are in prominent wine regions?
Hey! I've never heard of Tante Marie but I am currently studying pastry at the Cordon Bleu in Paris. Let me know what questions you have!
Hey! I'm at the Cordon Bleu in Paris right now and absolutely LOVE it! Happy to answer any questions. I did a ton of research before picking this school and I'm so glad I did. The other people that have posted are completely correct about the Cordon Bleu's in the States. They essentially just have the name, cost a ton, and you end up with a lot of debt. I found that I could attend the Cordon Bleu in Paris for $20K less than the program in my hometown in Texas. What...
For #4 - eek - My passion for the field has been festering since I was 3. I haven't been to culinary school yet - but starting in a week! yay! I have read a ton about the field and talked with several different people about what to expect though.   I think you need a certain amount of passion to want to get into the field especially if you are considering it as a career. But I've also heard of people losing their love for cooking after doing the same thing over and...
I wanted to get y'alls thoughts on the San Francisco Baking Institute. Good program? Known in the industry?   Thanks! Molly
haha yup- that's what I figured. Thanks Jeff and ChefBillyB!