or Connect

Posts by ebnewt

Its not that I'm interested in an entire set per-say but if I get used to one steel for a general purpose knife that I like, I would want a similar feel and quality in a Gyuto and Petty.  I'm definitely fine with other blades in my collection, especially for the more purpose driven knives.   Maybe my expectations were a little high coming into this, though I though they were modest to start.  Maybe a point that was missed was that I'm looking for is plain, though the...
Dr Owl,   Sorry for the delay, I have been traveling a bit.  Thank you for your input!  Two unfortunate things about the Suogo Yamatsuka knife is that it is out of my price range and it doesn't look like it would be easy to make a set with in the future.   I wish I could forgo the wa handle but something about western handles drives me crazy.  I guess I could think about doing without a laminated style blade.  Do you or anyone else on this forum know of any good...
Your bullets are absolutely correct and a heck of a lot more to the point!  As for the sanmai, maybe my reasoning is overly critical and doesn't have a whole lot of place in kitchen knives but from my understanding is the laminated blade allows for a higher carbon content and hardness for the edge itself and a more stain resistant and less brittle blade overall because of a greater content of nickel and chromium.  If anything I like the idea of it (I know, silly), and if...
Hello! I'm looking at investing 200 give or take in a nice kitchen knife of the 'santoku' variety and san-mai construction (tho no super tacky damascus or hammered finish).  I have been searching on this forum a while but most of the recommendations I find have western handles, and I'm really only looking for Japanese style handles (Wa handles?).  I hate to admit it but I do like the styling of the Shun Elite series, I suppose its because its the only Japanese style...