or Connect

Posts by Luis J

Hi guys...   I just cooked a few lobsters as "The catch of the day" but I wanted to poach them in butter and cook them sous vide. I tried with 60C / 140 F for 17 minutes and the result was good, some crunchiness but the tip of the tail and the part where the tail meets the head was a bit mushy. 90% of the lobster was fine but those parts were overcooked and sous vide overcooking means a funny texture. The tails were 10 OZ each and I vacuum packed them with an ounce of...
Hi guys...   My advice #1... Befriend the staff/Manager/owner of a Chinese or Asian restaurant (becoming a regular helps big time) and ask the chef for seasoning your wok, when you have the power burner to cook with a wok, the process takes no more than 3 minutes and is an operation that is performed on a daily basis -sometimes twice a day- , so, you're not asking for a biggie. The patina that you get with a wok range is almost impossible to get with a home or even a...
There is a 120V version, I live in México and long ago I was offered one and I even got the demonstration... But the price was equal to buy a robot coupe power mixer, a vitamix vita prep and a professional kitchen aid food processor, being and old fashion not so young man, I didn't take the plunge with the Thermomix and instead I got the vitamix and the food processor.   I have relatives in Spain and they just can't stop talking great things about their "Thermos",...
Thanks a lot tibeaver11 
Thanks a lot cheflayne...All I needed was a little push into it. I'm getting one, RC has always been one of my favourite brands due to it's reliability, so I'm sold.    Luis
Hi guys...   I'm asking your opinions based on your experience with this piece of equipment. I was going to buy a vitamix XL wich is a 1.5 gallon blender, but when I saw that it was almost 2K I got discouraged, that's not the kind of money that I want to spend on a blender.    What I need is a tool to blend 2-4 Gallon batches of cream soup, broccoli, asparagus, carrots and so on, and as you know at first is chunky and I want to get a good base for the soup, I'm...
Looks like a very good option and Mark states in his site that is the best combo stone that he carries... The downside: Out of stock, but looks very promising. I already got in the list to see when it's back in stock again.   Thanks a lot! 
Hi guys...   Thanks for the valuable advice. As I told you, my friend can't go out of budget, my suggestions were towards the Gesshin 1000/6000 or the 3 stone combo (5 piece set) from CKTG but seems like he's on budget for getting a regular combo stone like the king, the Oishi or the Suehiro. I told him that if he likes this hobby (As a professional chef he must) he's going to end up buying again new stones to replace the first combo stone. I'll talk to him into...
Hi guys...   A friend of mine asked me for some advice on sharpening stuff in a tight budget. My first opinion was the CKTG 5 piece set , but he said that he preferred a combo stone... Then I told him to get the Gesshin 1000/6000 wich I have never used but since the quality of my gesshin 8000 is so good and Jon Broida service was so professional, I didn't hesitate on giving him that piece of advice, but seems like he finds it too expensive.   I remember that my...
Hi Ben!   Thanks for the advice, I  saw a video from Jon Broida on the subject, is more a lecture than a descriptive video but the advice is great and it may be a solution. Actually, right now I'm going to do that and see how it works. Good point and thanks for sharing your input. Luis