or Connect

Posts by Luis J

LOL  Too bad that we can't be vocal on our toughts…But I totally agree with you and with all our colleagues posting his painful experiences here! Thanks for sharing!
 You're not alone! ;) happens to many of us!…Yes, also the complaint about salty food! Danmed, I was a dim sum cook long ago and hated to see the dough of my most elaborated dumplings coming back at the dish wash station, heart breaking stuff. :(  Allergic to chiffonade? God, that customer deserved to be slammed HARD on the head with a book such as "Larousse gastronomique" or "the new professional chef" to teach him what a chiffonade is. But since I've seen it all in the...
Amen to all that you wrote. I feel your pain…Been there and still pisses me off/saddens me. People asking for things that just can't taste/look good. A customer asked me for an steak medium well with beurre blanc from my salmon! The sauce/meat don't match and also the looks of the juices and blood coming out from the steak when they got mixed in the plate with the silky what sauce reminded you a lab experiment gone wrong, very ugly thing. Bad for the meat and bad for the...
   Thanks for the replies, both examples are kinda painful to me too. :(
Hi guys...   What are the things that make you sad for your food while cooking professionally? I have more than 20 years in the industry and a bit more than a decade as an executive chef, and co-owner, so my attitude towards some orders is "if it makes you happy and that helps my business …I'm happy for you" So, no more tantrums or "I'll teach you how to eat…You ignorant moron" attitude from my part anymore. But deep inside I still feel some sadness while performing...
Hi...   I was trained on traditional French cooking and in Mexico we use "Chef knives" all the time, but when I started working in a fine dining Chinese restaurant I was forced to work by the executive chef with a cleaver (thin blade, not the ones used for splitting chicken or cutting ribs) and let me tell you that it was love at first use, it was tricky at first but in a matter of days I felt that the knife was an extension of my arm and of my toughts. The chef that I...
Hi guys...   I just cooked a few lobsters as "The catch of the day" but I wanted to poach them in butter and cook them sous vide. I tried with 60C / 140 F for 17 minutes and the result was good, some crunchiness but the tip of the tail and the part where the tail meets the head was a bit mushy. 90% of the lobster was fine but those parts were overcooked and sous vide overcooking means a funny texture. The tails were 10 OZ each and I vacuum packed them with an ounce of...
Hi guys...   My advice #1... Befriend the staff/Manager/owner of a Chinese or Asian restaurant (becoming a regular helps big time) and ask the chef for seasoning your wok, when you have the power burner to cook with a wok, the process takes no more than 3 minutes and is an operation that is performed on a daily basis -sometimes twice a day- , so, you're not asking for a biggie. The patina that you get with a wok range is almost impossible to get with a home or even a...
There is a 120V version, I live in México and long ago I was offered one and I even got the demonstration... But the price was equal to buy a robot coupe power mixer, a vitamix vita prep and a professional kitchen aid food processor, being and old fashion not so young man, I didn't take the plunge with the Thermomix and instead I got the vitamix and the food processor.   I have relatives in Spain and they just can't stop talking great things about their "Thermos",...
Thanks a lot tibeaver11