or Connect

Posts by OnePiece

I picked up a Lamson knife from a yard sale recently.  It appears to have gone through hell, but appears to be a decent knife from a decent company.  Wood handle, 8", Chef knife. Heavy as hell, and probably German steel from what I've read.   It has no bolster; which I like, but seems odd considering the knife.  Handle is in decent but worn shape, so I might need to refinish it by light sanding and staining it. Best route of doing this?   The back of the...
I've been sharpening knives for a little while now, but I have never understood the idea of burr.  I don't seem to ever raise a burr, nor am I able to feel it.  The knife is obviously sharper and is quite sharp by the end of it, but I have yet to use any method that says much regarding burr.    If anyone could give me info as to why that'd be appreciated.
So what is the minimum time for fermentation to achieve decent results?
Also, Vic; I see.  I really can't imagine what it is like using a 270mm knife.  I don't even think my current board would be very accommadating of something like that. XD
  Okay, read through that thread a good bit.  You did end up talking about the OOTB of both knives separately in that thread there.  You state that the Tojiro ships with a great edge, much like what many others have been saying.  The Fujiwara shipped with an edge you defined as "okay" and one that sharpening it out of box was pretty much needed for it to be "great" in the cutting department.     So that gives more food for thought.  I'm not terrible at sharpening, I just...
Thank you for the very well thought out post, Lenny.   I now see the Fujiwara is $83 for a 240mm, and I have to admit that makes it pretty tempting.  I'm unsure how I would handle a 9.5" knife,  but I'm quite comfortable with my current 8" and at times saw the use in a larger blade.  I don't dislike sharpening, and I sharpened my current knife last night. Granted I dont' fully understand the idea of bur, as I'm more of a stroke counter and check the blades...
My current knife is an 8".  The 7" was once again just one purchased to test drive a good knife that I just so happened to get cheaply. Also I'm unsure what a Chinese knife is exactly, so would you mind linking one?   So out of the Richmond, Tojiro DP/Zen, and Fujiwara, what would be the best choice in your opinion?
  I'm not crazy for the handles on either, but since I've yet to hold them I can't quite judge by that.   The Shun DM0760 was that small knife.  I can find the overall height measurement for it though.     Any ideas?
Like I said, I knew 7" was going to be too short, but I didn't expect it to be that short in terms of blade height as well.   I would say the max I could spend is $80 and that is counting any possible tax/shipping costs. It isn't as much as I can't afford/save for a more expensive knife, but it is the fact I can't really justify spending much more. Opinions on the DP line as well? http://www.cutleryandmore.com/tojiro-zen/chefs-knife-p117808   Looking at the...
So I thought I'd pick up a Japanese knife about 8 months ago, and I was pretty much decided on a Tojiro $80 or so knife. Ended up putting the spare cash to an investment elsewhere and I'm finally prepping on actually purchasing a new knife, or at least I think I am. I ended up picking up a 7" Shun Chef Knife for crazy cheap just to test drive a quality J-knife and sell it later. 7" is just way too small as I became used to 8" and I'm looking to go to probably...