or Connect

Posts by ex Navycook

The CIA in Hyde Park is known as the best school in America. You will have to decide if that is the best school for you. If your looking for a school near you, Johnson & Wales University has a campus in North Miami. Both schools are very expensive but well known. If your not wanting to come out of school with outrageous debt then The Everglades Club in Palm Beach has an excellent Apprenticeship program for people who have not gone to culinary school. It won't cost you a...
The Greenbrier Sporting Club in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia or The Greenbrier Resort in the same city. Much of our proteins (especially beef) and produce come from within the county. Cheap cost of living and some extremely talented Chefs. Google them if you haven't heard about them.   Your school should also be able to help you, especially if your GPA is so good. That's how I found mine when I was in school. Spring, summer and fall are the best times to do an...
I used my GI Bill starting in 2009 so its been a while since I've looked up any info regarding your question but there was info regarding going to international schools using the Post 9/11 GI Bill. Go to va.gov and you should be able to find the answer your looking for. If not, call the VA. I think the GI Bill will cover tuition and issue housing allowance based on your state (home of record). Hope this helps and welcome back.
I'm considering getting the CCC certification with the ACF. I'm not really into the ACF or certification, but I need a goal. Something to strife for. I am taking this seriously and know it won't be easy. I'm currently a line cook but I have past management experience when I was in the Navy that meets the requirements for eligibility. Of course I have to prove it. I even took three practice written tests for CCC and my lowest score was an 80% which gives me a good base for...
There are several options for veterans. I myself used the post 9/11 GI Bill and went to Johnson & Wales University basically for free and got two degrees. Your from New York which has a few good culinary schools including Culinary Institute of America (CIA) in Hyde Park which is by far the best known school. I agree with Senior Chief that you should get a job in a restaurant and work your way back up. It will suck, trust me but you will learn a lot and you can show your...
Thanks IceMan this is a good recommendation from what i read about it and very affardable. Thank you
Hello all, I am looking to buy a new chef knife. I was using an 8" Kikuichi knife that I loved for over three years. Unfortunately last week at my internship another intern used my knife without my knowledge used m beloved knife while I was out weeding the garden and some how broke it. I know that suckes so bad but i can't turn back time and she paid me what I bought it for. Again unfortunately i bought it for $80. that's not going to buy me another Kikuichi but that's...
Hello Mr. Fender!   I'm a current student at Johnson & Wales. I like it a lot but I wont tell you to come here. go to the schools website and you can learn how to set up a visit to the university of your choice and a guided tour of the campus. Location should be your first choice regardless of school you want to attend. I'm 27 and have a few years experience and I can tell you its a big help. Also it can give you more insight on whether to take on the massive debt of...
As the screen name suggests I was a cook in the Navy for close to 7 years. I'm out and in culinary school at Johnson & Wales Charlotte campus. Civilian life is great so far learning a lot. Just joined for any advice I may need as I'm sure there will be plenty and I look forward to chatting with you all. Take care!