or Connect

Posts by ex Navycook

I'm considering getting the CCC certification with the ACF. I'm not really into the ACF or certification, but I need a goal. Something to strife for. I am taking this seriously and know it won't be easy. I'm currently a line cook but I have past management experience when I was in the Navy that meets the requirements for eligibility. Of course I have to prove it. I even took three practice written tests for CCC and my lowest score was an 80% which gives me a good base for...
There are several options for veterans. I myself used the post 9/11 GI Bill and went to Johnson & Wales University basically for free and got two degrees. Your from New York which has a few good culinary schools including Culinary Institute of America (CIA) in Hyde Park which is by far the best known school. I agree with Senior Chief that you should get a job in a restaurant and work your way back up. It will suck, trust me but you will learn a lot and you can show your...
Thanks IceMan this is a good recommendation from what i read about it and very affardable. Thank you
Hello all, I am looking to buy a new chef knife. I was using an 8" Kikuichi knife that I loved for over three years. Unfortunately last week at my internship another intern used my knife without my knowledge used m beloved knife while I was out weeding the garden and some how broke it. I know that suckes so bad but i can't turn back time and she paid me what I bought it for. Again unfortunately i bought it for $80. that's not going to buy me another Kikuichi but that's...
Hello Mr. Fender!   I'm a current student at Johnson & Wales. I like it a lot but I wont tell you to come here. go to the schools website and you can learn how to set up a visit to the university of your choice and a guided tour of the campus. Location should be your first choice regardless of school you want to attend. I'm 27 and have a few years experience and I can tell you its a big help. Also it can give you more insight on whether to take on the massive debt of...
As the screen name suggests I was a cook in the Navy for close to 7 years. I'm out and in culinary school at Johnson & Wales Charlotte campus. Civilian life is great so far learning a lot. Just joined for any advice I may need as I'm sure there will be plenty and I look forward to chatting with you all. Take care!