or Connect

Posts by Granny Smith

I'm not a chef, either, but I got into cooking because I was hungry. I was 18, newly married, and realized that Mama wasn't there to cook for me anymore, so I had to learn or starve. I got into making everything from scratch 7 years later when my daughter needed a special diet with no artificial colors or flavors, no white sugar, and no white flour. That, basically, meant that I had to make everything, including butter. So, I learned to keep her healthy. She's 34 now and...
Durangojo, I see the same thing with twofers in restaurants that don't serve alcohol. In that case, the customers often have dessert where they might, otherwise, not have it.
KYHeirloomer, you're not too far from me. I'm in Menifee county, the land of no good restaurants and the ones we have close at 3pm (I'm not kidding).
This might be a dumb idea, but fresh, hot cookies are always popular, especially chocolate chip (or something similar). You can make cookie dough, form the cookies on trays (very close together since they won't be baked on the trays) and freeze the whole tray. When the cookies are frozen, remove them from the trays, put them in freezer bags, and store them in the freezer. When you get an order, remove a serving and pop them in the oven (a toaster oven will do fine). They...
I just found this forum from a link on another site. I am not a professional chef, just a home cook who likes to learn and that's why I joined. I doubt I'll have much to contribute, but you never know.
I'm not in the restaurant business, but I always figured lunch was less expensive because they had ample customers at dinnertime, but needed to put butts in the seats at lunchtime.