or Connect

Posts by Granny Smith

KY, we're in agreement on this. If you were to fill a 4 foot tower 2/3 full to begin with, then added dirt to cover the seed potatoes, you could probably only add about 8 more inches of dirt before you'd compromise the stability of the framework, especially if it were made of bamboo shades. I'd be afraid to fill it plumb to the top. I will probably use mostly, if not all, peat moss to add to it, but will use SFG mix to plant in initially.
Lecithin also works.
IMO, the flour doesn't make a heck of a lot of difference. Portion out the dough, cover with a towel or plastic wrap, and let it rest for 15-20 minutes before rolling on a lightly floured board. You'll be able to roll it as thin as you like without it springing back.   For what it's worth, I use a homemade French rolling pin for mine.
I haven't noticed my potatoes producing much above the original seed potato. When I heard of this method of growing them above ground, I looked up pictures of potato plants and they bore out what I'd observed. I really think the only reason for hilling them is to keep the plant from breaking, since they produce food for the plants to grow and the potatoes to develop. I have never found potatoes in the hills, above ground level. That's why this method makes sense to me,...
Have you tried adding a little paraffin to the chocolate?
Apparently you have two options, hit the edit button on the bottom left of your post and just delete what you've written (you'll probably need to type something in place of it, such as 'deleted') or ask a moderator to delete it for you (that's what I did)
That's why I'm using the cheap seeds (Dollar General 3/$1) If they don't grow, oh, well. I have heirloom seeds for when the weather gets better.   I generally wait until I plant my regular garden to plant my potatoes and onions. It isn't that I don't know to plant them earlier, but I can't till the garden (don't know how to drive the tractor) and can't get hubby to do it until the weather is nice. So, I wait.   This year I'm thinking about trying an above-ground...
Add an extra 1/4 - 1/2 cup of flour and increase the temperature to 375. Use the baking soda instead of baking powder unless you like a cake-like cookie. And, yes, add the eggs and flavoring before the dry ingredients.
KY, I've heard that about Valentine's Day, but I don't get it. I'm in zone 6, the same zone I was in when I lived in Michigan. Our planting date was Memorial Day. No matter, the ground was frozen solid a couple of days ago, so it's a moot point. I'm going to try again tomorrow, since it's nearly 70 degrees now and the ground should be thawed enough to hoe a little.   Next year, I want to try planting in the fall, too late for them to sprout, and see what grows when...
Nicko, try stirring about half a cup of powdered milk into the hot milk, then placing a piece of plastic wrap, waxed paper, or parchment (I prefer parchment) directly on the surface of the hot milk. This prevents a skin from forming on the milk as it cools. After it has cooled, gently whisk in about 2 to 3 T. of plain yoghurt (thin it first with some of the warm milk), then strain the mixture into whatever you use to incubate it (in my case, that would be quart-size...