or Connect

Posts by PieBird13

I've just made another jelly slab of turkish delight (this time Pink Grapefruit & Ginger) and want to try a different way in cutting it. Usually I just pull out my trusty pizza cutter though this time I want to try my circular 1 ½" biscuit cutter. Now, should I dust it in the powdered sugar/cornstarch mixture -or- should I oil it lightly with simple vegetable oil?  
Soon I will be creating packaged foods for my local farmer's market and need a reliable wholesale produce vendor. At the moment my food budget is low so I cannot justify a large account. Also I will be renting a commercial kitchen so I won't be able to handle on site deliveries. Basically I'm looking for a 'walk-in' wholesale vendor in Westside Los Angeles that I can drive and load up my car with. Any advice for this first timer.   -JSpirtos
Tell me if you've heard this one before:   "I'm trying to hunt down a rental kitchen for an reasonable price in West Los Angeles, any hints?"   Basically I'm looking to create freshly packaged foods for my local farmer's market though am finding a hard time hunting down a rental kitchen.   Here's the dream aka what I'm looking for:   Day 1 (8+ hrs) • Walk-in/fridge space to store fresh raw produce. • 8 hour day to prep (roast, oven dry, marinate). •...
First of all thank you for the link! Just spent hours looking at their inventory :)   Do you think that two of these sitting in wooden display boxes (custom rustic apple crates) would hold product under 40ºF for 8hrs on a shaded table top? I would freeze these containers over night, next morning add product, pack with a thin layer of ice, and cover for delivery/set-up. Ideally I would like the product raised, popping out of the container but maybe I should just...
So I just received the new batch of 12 oz. plastic test tubs from www.plasticcontainercity.com and find them a bit too small. Now I know that '12 oz.' is '12 oz.' no matter what shape container you put your food in though visually the circular tub looks bigger to consumer eyes (look at these test pix).       Again, the USP container (on the left) is perfect for what I need though I can't give my money to a religious hate organization that molds their own...
Freshly made salsas, 12 oz. tamperproof plastic tubs (haven't decided on circular or square yet), 6 main flavors (with 3 seasonals during the summer months), about 60-100 tubs to hold for sales (1-2 large ice chests to sit on?) and 1-2 shallow coolers for display (shallow displays with ice, packed with product on the bottom and loose on top). These would have to kept cool (under 40ºF) between 6-8 hours, with the melted ice water disposed of off-site. Also the display...
I need a cooler that can handle 80-100 12 oz. plastic tub containers (something I can leave in a walk-in over night, add product and pack with ice; something with wheels and a handle) and 1-2 tabletop coolers I can pack with ice and display product in. Originally I was thinking of this an 'Igloo Glide Pro 110 Rolling Cooler' (http://www.big5sportinggoods.com/product/coolers/478242-149552/igloo-glide-pro-110-rolling-cooler.html) for delivery to the booth and long term...
Thinking about using these for Farmer's Market catering of cold foods. Has anyone used these products? These seem expensive though there are a few sites out there offering 50% off.     9406 CaterMax™ 25 Insulated Single Pan Carrier Accommodates 1/1, 1/2 and 1/3 Food...
Thank you so much!   To be honest I just received a test batch of various plastic tubs from USP (United States Plastics Corp) and found a actual RELIGIOUS TRACT entitled 'Stories of Inspiration' included with my shipment. After a few hours of online research I found out that the founder, Stanley Tam, has written several books on God™ and his business model; including some scathing hatred towards homosexuality and alleged ties to Chick fil-a™. Now I'm not...
So far I have: *Business License (LLC in the works via Legalzoom.com) *ServSafe Certificate (I have one, my partner will be certified soon) *Means to Rent a Comercial Kitchen (in talks with, still working out rental hours)   Once approved by the Farmer's Market Community I will be asked to provide: *Public Health Operating Permit (provided for the kitchen) *Board of Equalization Permit (I guess I talk to Legalzoom.com ) *Community Event/Seasonal Event...