or Connect

Posts by DanBrown

LaPrise As there is no question to this discussion I'm starting to think that you're counting hours of work (see high paying jobs) as hours of self-promotion on cheftalk without making any contribution to further the profession. I know this might well start another flame war for me, and I admit that I'm glad you moved your website into your signature, but I really feel like you're using cheftalk as an advertising tool, which pisses me off. I've poured out my heart to...
Attention to detail. Ability to "visualize" flavor combinations as well as final presentations. Understanding of techniques and consistent application of aforementioned techniques. Attention to detail. Confidence.
"Loud music and moderate drug use make boring and stressful situations infinitely more tolerable"
Shroomgirl- Could you please give me the formula you're using for marshmallows? I've recently had a learning experience with the aforementioned and I"d love to get a functional formula. Sorry I can't answer your question...
The first test went well on the cheeesecake aspect, but the marshmallow was another story, I'll get to that later....I tasted the cheesecake with my kitchen staff and wait staff, and we agreed that the milk flavor wasn't strong enough. The malt was right, and I adjusted the chocolate to 1# when making the batter because the flavor and color weren't strong enough. I had the second cheesecake at my parents house on Christmas, and when it was served with fresh whipped cream...
Bayless' approach to teaching, and his deep knowledge make him one of my favorite chefs (within the top three for sure), and getting him here is a feather in your caps!! Nice job, expect a battery of specific questions from yours truly.
Ma Facon - You sound like you are ex-military or practicing Amish. The idea that you can take a facist approach to controlling the lives of your employees outside of work rings of a level of control which one human should not take over the life of another human. If you have never taken any drugs, which is certainly the way your posts read, then I commend your personal fortitude, and lament the lack of knowledge you have regarding addiction. Every user is not an addict,...
If you're starting your cheesecakes at 500 you're working a lot hotter than I ever do. You need to add the eggs slowly (one at a time) and emulisify completely before each egg, including scraping down the bowl. I'll give you the whole procedure I use right here, with pointers.... Yields 2 cheesecakes 4.5# cream cheese 3 cups sugar 10 eggs 6yolks 2 teaspoon Vanilla extract 1 cup Grand Marnier 3 cups graham cracker crust (for two shells) 1.Soften cream...
There are another two trades in addition that I like...Plate magazine, and Chef's, both of which are available free to working chefs and easy enough to find on the internet with a search.
My advice to you is to study what the people who've already accomplished what you're trying to do have done. If you want to get press, put together a press packet, get and agent, and actively pursue that goal. If you goal is to build a reputation that will preceed you, my advice is to get back to work, and make sure you're never settling for less that your best. I just got press today in the Rocky Mountain News (first time in a Denver daily newspaper). I've been a cook...