or Connect

Posts by Sparkie

Sorry to bump a dead thread here, but this popped up on my Facebook feed today. Figured I may as well post the link here. This is Lidia Bastianich's take on sauce vs gravy http://blog.lidiasitaly.com/2014/02/sauce-or-gravy.php
Though I prefer to char the peppers over a gas flame, or better yet, some lump charcoal in a chimney charcoal starter... This is how I usually do it at home: cut down pepper vertically into 4 pieces, remove any seeds and the white bits. Pop em in the toaster oven, skin up, high broil until charred, paper bag, then slide the skin off. Easy peesy lemon squeezey!
I especially agree with pollopicu here, nothing against anyone else, but those are wise words. The FinGY stuff will go away after you have proven yourself using the advise given by the others. As an introvert myself, who struggles with social anxiety and making personal connections with people, I'd like to share some things that have helped me connect with people. I sometimes take notes at home about something a co- worker mentioned about their personal life. Maybe their...
Got this one tonight.. Server informs me that his customer is vegan and wants a pasta without eggs( all pastas on the menu are house made with eggs). No problem, I keep dry pasta on the shelf. Recommend spaghetti with tomato basil. Ticket comes in... Lasagna, no meat, no besciamel
One of my mentors always said that two years is ideal. That gives you time to go beyond just learning a few things and move into mastering a particular system. For my own take on it, this also shows that you can take the B.S. and still push with herd. If you can only make it a few months before having a problem with an employer, I gotta say that the problem is with you. If you are showing an upward track with short stays, then you are a mercenary who'll probably leave me...
Just one more update, and I believe I'm done with this topic. With two months of use ( including a particularly abusive December!), the boards are nicely worn in. The drag issue I had with the boards feeling a little tacky under my knife is gone. The corners are getting a little chipped up, from contact with various surfaces. Two of them are 8' long, so I guess its bound to happen... With regular honing, the knives ARE holding their edges longer. The difference is...
This is what I have been using, an Imperia Restaurant Electric Roller. http://www.jbprince.com/pasta-machines/electric-pasta-machine.asp It finally gave out on me, and I'm looking to upgrade to something better, more along these lines.... http://pastabiz.com/nina-pasta-sheeter-html.html Anybody familiar with these machines, what I should be looking for, which ones have good/ bad histories, etc. The main use is for tagliatelle, taglioline ( sorry can't spell that one),...
Nice job, those look wonderful!! The sauce looks awesome as well. What are they stuffed with?
Truth be told, I prefer the dough a little softer for ravioli. It is easier to form the sheet around the filling, and you'll get a better seal. If you move to slow the sheet can dry out a bit and the ravioli may not seal properly, the softer dough gives you a little wiggle room there. When I feel like the dough is too soft going through the rollers, I will sprinkle some more flour over it, fold it up and roll it out a couple of clicks then repeat a few times. This helps...
Sorry, my phone was acting funny, it cut me of before I was done. Then try some quick breads. Banana bread, zucchini bread, muffins, Apple cake. Very forgiving, very rewarding. Now try pizza dough. More forgiving than a loaf of bread, but the technique is very similar. If that's no problem, try making some bread. Ciabata, is fun and mixed by hand, a machine would over work the dough. Then if you find that you are good at this baking stuff, try tackling croissants,...