or Connect

Posts by BeerConsomme

Thanks for the suggestions.   I soak them with espresso.   For the mascarpone, I'll add it little by little to the zab while the zab is still warm. When it's all mixed in and the custard is cooled a bit, I fold in the egg whites.    
Figs and prosciutto. Yum!
Don't know if I'd quite call myself a full-fledged pastry chef, but I do make the dessert menu for one of the restaurants I work at. So I apologize if this is in the wrong forum - seemed like the right place for my question.   We make ours by doing a zabaglione with marsala wine. I temper in the mascarpone, and then fold in beaten egg whites. I just line the walls of coffee cups with soaked savoiardi, add the custard on top, and let it set up overnight. I've noticed...
I work at an Italian place most of the week, so it's easy for us. Just a big pan of some type of pasta creation and a salad. It's usually just based on ingredients that we know aren't going to be used up in time and inexpensive items. The other night I sent out some penne with alfredo sauce, sundried tomatoes and basil. Nothing fancy or time consuming, the staff loved it, and it was cheap for the kitchen to make. The staff is kind of at the mercy of our decision, but we...
Had a guy order a steak medium. He also went through the trouble to define medium to the kitchen, as it stated on the ticket. "Medium, pink throughout, no red, not dry." Regardless, I cooked him a flawless, perfectly pink steak. Sends it back because it's still red. Cook it off more.  It comes back. Repeat two more times. Apparently, despite him having a perfect understanding of what "medium" means, he actually wanted a well done steak.   Can't please all the people...
Thanks for the reassurance guys. I worked the station again last night and handled it much, much better. I got to know my way around the kitchen more, and went into service knowing all the dishes. I do think I can have the station down cold in another shift or two.   And the sous seemed very happy with my performance, so he was understanding of my experience, and more than anything was happy to have a line cook come in from another place when they were short handed...
Hello everyone. I apologize if this is posted to the wrong forum, but I am just seeking some professional advice - or reassurance anyway. Long story short, I'm a career changer that started line cooking about 8 months ago. I cut my teeth at a glorified burrito place, and quickly got moved to working the pantry station at an upscale Italian restaurant. Lately, the Exec chef has been requesting my help to fill in at other restaurants.   At the Italian place, where I am...