or Connect

Posts by siloway

Lol I like you saying you're too anal and spelling too wrong and allot also wrong... you're doing fine . Quite funny reading your post, I've been working in IT for a fairly long time myself and am asking myself exactly the same questions...really want to dump it and get on to something more "human". I've started a cooking website for the fun but am thinking of taking things a bit further in some direction or other. The beauty of the food industry is that there are so...
Classic "lapin a la moutarde", very common in French cuisine, delicious, I love the braised endives (endives braisées) also a French classic...never cooked them myself, usually do endives gratiné wrapped in ham with an emmental bechamel but definitely going to try you way... look yum.   Havn't got either of these on my site yet but sure gonna nice presentation, looks a very comforting and cozy dish.
Thanks for your comment boar_d_laze very encouraging. Margcata if I undestand right you made an apple and chestnut stuffing? how did you combine that?
Thanks for that, some good tips I did do a bird with stuffing cooked separately one year... was nice too... yeah stuffing is pretty easy but I'm really looking for something that packs exceptional flavour, kind of looking to give my christmas dish it's very own personal character... maybe marinating the apples in cognac/calvado and/or working the other ingredients as you said to saute the aromatics and possibly some of the other ingredients to preserve some of their...
The very first time I cooked for my French in-laws I made a boeuf bourguignon, the recipe said leave on low heat in a "cocotte" (caserolle/stewing pot) for 3 hours. I had what the French call a "cocotte minute" which is in effect a presure cooker and thought this was what the recipe meant... result was the kitchen smelt great but we had 2 inches of burnt bourguignon and at the bottom of the presure cooker, had to soak it for 3 days to get it off...we ate roast chicken...
I knew a chef in France that used to "cook" strips of chicken in lemon, he'd just leave them to soak in lemon until the chicken turned white taking the apparence of being cooked, then he'd server it in thin strips with a green salad and croutons... tasted real good but what are the risks of that?
I'm franco-british, lived between both countries all my life, I run a cooking website for fun (frenchcooking4u.com) that I put up mainly to share family recipes with family abroad (I work in IT for my sins and have been putting websites together for a good few years now). I really would like to get out of "pure" IT and or maybe combine it with something else, I'm currently working on some spice recipes to package and sell. Relating to the turkey question, my wife loves...
Thanks for the offer had friends in Zurich but they moved to Canada now afraid the trip to Zurich would finish off my dwindling finances (from uk). I may well try an apple stuffing something along these lines this year.   Most of my folks and wife's family are in France we're stuck in the UK this year... we'll try and make for lack of family with good food....still, not the same though. cooking's no fun if you don't share it.
Can I come do Christmas at yours this year Margcata ? can I, can I
Over in France my in-laws do a Chestnus stuffed turkey which is really great an has quite a game-y taste I've posted the recipe on my site but here it is for anyone who is interested A 3 kg turkey 300 g of brown to natural chestnuts 300 g of sausage meat 200 g of bread 120 g butter 5 tablespoons milk 2 tablespoons oil 4 or 5 shallots 2 sprigs fresh thyme 1 or 2 bay leaves 5 cl of cognac Salt and pepper 1.5 a 2 kg small...