or Connect

Posts by cacioEpepe

Im young enough (31) to not know the old, old, school but in my 12 years i've definitely seen a change in the way cooks learn, work and interact.  So many want to create by using form over function and everyone has an opinion.  When I was line cooking I did was I was told, didn't talk back and kept my opinion to myself because I was there to learn from my superiors.  Everyone's a little less focused, because of technology in my opinion, and everyone wants to follow trends...
I'm gonna regret putting this up, but I was the CDC of a small Southern inspired restaurant in SF for a hot minute and the Jazz center that we were connected to wanted to do a video on a classic southern dish.  Here's our take on shrimp and grits.  I still havent watched it all the way through because I cant stand watching myself on video.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4UzQ-2CKr8
Moving from LA 7 years ago I thought I'd get a higher pay rate because it is so expensive to live in NYC.  Not the case.  I made 11 an hour and eventually became sous, but even that salary wasn't a lot.  Thing about NYC is you go for the experience, not to make a living.  surviving on 12 or 13 bucks an hour is totally possible.  You just have to do it right.
This is definitely a new world order.  If anyone who trails or stages manages to hurt themselves the business can be accountable.  At my job we actually pay stages.  I know, its crazy, but our lawyer would rather we shell out minimum wage than have someone go to the labor board or sue us.  Most businesses have a waiver that guests can sign, but I'm still not sure if it actually releases the responsibility.     I also live in San Francisco, where the people have the...
Defining "chef" is like asking an Italian for a recipe for lasagne.  You're going to get a lot of definitions, and none of them necessarily incorrect.  I feel like the title chef is something that you eventually earn by being a little bit of everything.  I'm not the best cook, I'm not the best manager, I'm not the best organizer, but I'm pretty good at all 3.  Yes, I think there are way too many out there throwing the 'chef' title around.  Just because you went to culinary...
Moving from LA 7 years ago I thought I'd get a higher pay rate because it is so expensive to live in NYC.  Not the case.  I made 11 an hour and eventually became sous, but even that salary wasn't a lot.  Thing about NYC is you go for the experience, not to make a living.  surviving on 12 or 13 bucks an hour is totally possible.  You just have to do it right.
Citric acid is the way to go.  But regardless of how much you put in (it does affect the taste), they will start to turn after 2 days  Plus the stuff is expensive.  Use powdered, not tablets.  Theres no such thing as holding for a long time with cleaned artichokes.     In a related topic.  We used to cook whole avocados at 40 Celsius (basically hot tap water) for 20 minutes and there would be no oxidation for a whole service.  Perhaps if you did something similar with...
I personally dislike this practice now, but thought it was quite clever when I first saw it as a line cook.  To resolve the issue I would often sear the filet, and when the side is seared properly, lift the thin side and slide a piece of foil underneath it and continue cooking.  Not a perfect solution but one that I appreciate more.
I know this question have fluttered around the forums before, but I can't find one where the info is current so I decided to bring up the subject again. I run a small restaurant with no storage and hardly any counter space.  We are connected to a show space that basically dictates if we are busy or not.  This obviously presents the problem of product preservation.  I have no room at all for a heavy, bulky cryo machine.  I've looked into Food Savers, but am skeptical on...
I agree on the cookbook.  Simple, straightforward with good technique and great narrative.