or Connect

Posts by cacioEpepe

First of all I would try this stuff   http://www.cup4cup.com/   It was put together by Thomas Kellers team.  Its made from cornstarch, white rice flour, brown rice flour, tapioca starch, milk powder, xanthan gum and potato starch.  I've used it for making extruded pasta.  It works well enough, but nothing is going to give elasticity to pasta or gnocchi like flour.  You can obviously make a mixture of your own since you probably don't have cup4cup readily...
  We did grind in house.  This was so long ago that I definitely had no authority to what was leaving the kitchen or not.  I was just a lowly fish cook back in 2006 
I worked in a modern Indian restaurant and fell in love with spices. Black pepper and coriander were a base for many things but other spices were accents for specific dishes.  I particularly enjoy green and black cardamom with lamb.  We made a delicious broth with dried ginger and mustard seeds for bass.  Aleppo pepper and fenugreek for halibut.  The list is virtually endless.

I guess I'm sticking with my guns when it comes to longevity at a restaurant.  I supposed 'skills learned' is just as arbitrary as 'time spent'.  KK, if counting the years of service your chef has dedicated you can total up at least 13.  Not a small number by any means.  We all know that time at any restaurant is personal.  I found depth and understanding by spending at least a year and a half at most of the places I've worked.  You get an appreciation of the nuances...
Whew boy, you're going to get a lot of information on this.  First of all, I don't think youre late in the game in regards to starting in kitchens.  Perhaps by European standards, but 21 is young enough to do anything.  I love the ambition that you have in setting your standards high, but like most people who are not in restaurants (especially younger people), the perception is skewed.     First of all, to be a proper chef I can say with confidence that 'moving...
This was my first tattoo probably 4 years ago.  Its a Glestain honesuki that one of my first chefs brought back for me from his travels to Japan.  He had it engraved on the bolster with my name.         I've also just recently got this rooster with maple leaves.  Not so much a chef tattoo, but it's def food related.      
Google "griddle scraper". You should be able to find something that will work for you.
For cleaning during service you need a scraper like this.   http://www.rewonline.com/ss/griddleworld/nemco-n55825-pic.jpg   For end of the night cleaning, these bricks will shine the hell out of the flat top.   http://www.a1service.com/assets/images/Altoshaam/q-294.jpg   They come in various grits and you can get them from your maintenance supplier.   I also found that deglazing with cheap, distilled vinegar also helps shine up the plancha.  To keep...
  Right on Flip.  We're just going to have to find alternatives.  Just like when gas prices began to rise, the demand for electric cars went up. As we've seen, the prices aint going down to $1.03/gal like when I first started driving.  Americans are going to have to find ways to ween ourselves off of beef, one of them being eating less of it. My girlfriend and I usually eat giant salads with poached eggsafter we get home from work late, but on saturday when we visit the...