or Connect

Posts by Meezinplaz

It's part of the business and will make you a better cook. Embrace it and learn. The fact that your chef is even bothering to harrass you rather than simply 86ing you is a good sign. Work through the pain and take the abuseband perhaps later he'll recognize you for what you're worth and drop some knowledge oj you. I once used a torch to warm a quenelle scoop rather than a bain marie proper, my chef saw this and hurled a 3rd pan of fondant at me from across the window....
Hey gents. the initial talks and an interview settled on par time with benefits. Got a call last night offering full time plus benefits, a (deleted) 401k and 6 bucks more an hour. I called a few friends for advice in the business and they all confirmed what you guys said. I felt like a (deleted) snake but slept on it, with dreams of being able to pay mortgage and save a little for later dancing through my head. Google searched Why do cooks sell out, first hit was from a...
chefs, i seek your advice. I worked a few years back at a reputable fine dining spot as a stodge. The place hadva stellar crew of bad motherfuckers. 6 years later i work for the former grill man at his operation. I make decent money and have learned the charcuterie/garde manger side. I've been there more than a year. Recently, another cook from back in the day offered me a gig paying more working for him. I don't want to burn the bridge my current chef built taylor made...
"Uh... DON'T use your Chef's for cutting bread, bread (gluten strands) are very hard on edges and will dull a knife very quickly."   Well no, actually. You SHOULD use a chef's knife to cut bread because it will produce a cleaner cut and it wont potentially destroy the structural integrity of the bread by dragging (rather than cutting) some errant seed or grain down through la mie. Causing damage to the slice the way a bullet tears through flesh. Serrations on a...
Hey man. Buy yourself one hardcore chefs knife and an equally gangster paring knife. That's all you'll ever need. For those in favor of adding a bread knife to my list, recall that if your chef's knife is as sharp as it should (needs, really) to be, then it can handle breaking down a pullman loaf with ease. I recommend spending about a hundred on a Henckel, Shun, or Global for the chefs, just pick out one. They will all be amazing in that price range, and maybe one or...