or Connect

Posts by Planethoff

I have made a few dishes, but could not frame the right shot so I have not been posting them.  Since it is getting close to the end of the month, I wanted to get something entered.  It is not the best looking Pic, but it was spectacularly delicious.   Chinese Chicken & Veg Noodles 1 pack chicken thighs   $2.13 Rice Noodle                 $1.89 Bag of Stir Fry Veg       $2.50   (on sale) Can of Baby Corn         $1.59 Onion                           $.37 Thai Bird...
I like the phatch roasting method and I know you are looking for more savory carrot concepts, but I can't pass up ginger ale carrots. It is a centuries old British recipe apparently, but once I discovered it, it has been hard to make carrots any other way. And it's not really that sweet, but technically it is a ton of added sugar. . I am Not a sweets fan. 1.5 lbs carrots peeled cut on bias 1 tblspn unsalted butter 1 tblspn salt 12 oz ginger ale Place all in covered...
Phatch is right that achiote oil is the proper way to do it, and KK has a good substitute with turmeric. (I have made it that way many times and it tastes great and adds heath benefits of turmeric)   However,I find aji amarillo powder http://www.amazon.com/Aji-Amarillo-Chile-Powder-18/dp/B000S15BMS  and Ro*Tel to be great way to make it.   However, if you want the true way (at least as far as I'm aware)   Steep a small handful of Annato seeds in a neutral oil for 15-20...
Mike9, I'm right there with you and had enough of a scare to quit a 20+ year 2/ok a day cigarette habit. I still struggle with my diet, but won't give up certain things. I try to just be a lot more active, but my bones and joints don't always cooperate. Anyway, to the point of the thread. I am finally stepping back into my heritage, Polish. I made pierogies the other night, but still have to work on them. Going to perfect my sour kraut, galumpki, blintz, maybe even...
 It is definitely a San Francisco dish and it is more of a stew than a sauce.  It is a very localized dish.  Most East coast Italians have no idea what it is either.
@morning glory  That looks beautiful and delicious.  and on a side note I wish I could find avocados that cheap.  Which brings me to a point.    I understand a lot of the issues with this month's challenge as I buy a lot in bulk as well. Also, with the wholesale prices those in the industry can get, it can be an unfair competition if they used their actual cost.  Therefore,  I think @jake t buds picked a great theme, but it requires a little extra work and calculation. ...
I don't have any yard space to grow vegetables. I grow a few herbs in my patio, but that is about it. However, I have a friend that has land and a garden. They gave me a cucumber plant at a little one leap sapling This is how it sits now. Any advice?
 So True!  When I first joined this site, I started a thread about MSG and at the time believed it to be a horrible product and very bad for us.  After reading through the material presented to me from other posters on the site, I came to the conclusion that it is not only not that bad, but does help to create a pretty flavorful dish.  I don't use it all the time, but I no longer avoid it like the plague.
Grilled Wings, Baked Potato, and Ginger ale Carrots   Wings 2lb @ 1.79/lb    $3.58 Stick Butter                $0.67 Valentina Hot Sauce    $1.19 2 Potatoes                  $1.74 Sour Cream                $0.89 !.5lb carrots                 $0.99 1 can ginger ale           $0.59   TOTAL:                       $9.65     Marinated wings in Valentina hot sauce and grilled on med low.  Baked potato rubbed with lard and kosher salt topped with butter and sour...
I watched and enjoyed that documentary very much. It is always been a hobby of mine to make authentic and americanized versions side by side and compare. There are definitely things that make it "Americanized" (read sugar) but harder to agree on authentic