or Connect

Posts by ChefHoff

I totally agree with Brandon that you should get involved with one of the personal chef networking organizations.  They also have recipe and planning software that makes the business side way easier, but like Ed said the biggest thing is to be a people person.  To be a good personal chef, sales and people skills are needed more than cooking skills.  Obviously your cooking chops need to be up to snuff, but to make it, it is all about sales and schmoozing.  To get your...
Back when I was a line cook, I was working saute station with another guy.  It was the end of the night and we were breaking down our station.  I was pulling the sauces from the cold wells and transferring them to a lexan to bring to the walk-in.  Little did I know that my co-worker pulled the cast iron range grates and had them on the floor to be sprayed down.  I grabbed the bin and started for the walk-in not really being able to see the floor clearly with the giant...
There are a lot of things I'm not particularly fond of, but will eat if served  to not offend the chef (or cook).  However, Canned tuna (especially packed in oil) and lutefisk I have trouble even being in the same room with and will never eat. 
Another crazy concept, but it does work (especially in fridge)  Drill a bunch of small holes in a 2 liter plastic bottle.  Fill the bottle with aquarium carbon (make sure holes are smaller than filter carbon bits)  Place in front of fan on high.  Works pretty well.  It works great to remove smells from fridge but obviously you don't need the fan.
Tomato Egg Cups are great.  Hollow out as many vine ripe tomatoes as you need servings. Crack 1 large egg in each hollowed out tomato and sprinkle with salt & pepper.  Close grill cover and cook for about 5 min on med direct heat (until egg partially sets).    top with shredded cheese (cheddar or anything you prefer) grill closed another 2-3 minutes.  Garnish with chopped scallions.  Serve with strips of toast for dipping.
Mix 1/4 cup favorite curry spice blend with 2 tblspn canola oil and 2 tblspn rice wine vinegar.  toss to coat.  Set in fridge 4-6 hours. Sprinkle with Salt and Pepper,roast at 450 for @30min or until browned and crispy.  S & P to taste.     My curry blend:   5   Tumeric 5   Paprika 3   Corriander 3   Onion Powder 3   Garlic Powder 2   Cumin 2   Cinnamon 2   Black Pepper 2   White Pepper 2   Red Pepper (or more for more heat) 1   Nutmeg 1  ...
I agree toppings are king in CA pizza, but I think the crust is more of an in-between NY thin and deep dish.  Always too doughy for my taste.  but yes, very unique sauces and cheeses.  BBQ chicken pizza (chicken, red onion, red bell pepper, jalapeno, pineapple, roasted garlic, and mango BBQ sauce) with smoked gouda is one I remember fondly.
The first thing I think of is a huge mission burrito from San Francisco.  I moved away ten years ago and still think about them every day.  You can get sorta close at local chains (Chipotle, Moe's, etc.), but it's just not enough.  I agree with MichaelGA  on all the items he listed, but would refer to cioppino as a seafood stew not just fish stew as clams and mussels are a must in it.  Also agree with Jay, fish tacos (San Diego and baja)
Find an established multi-business office complex nearby and find out if you can do a free tasting in their lobby.  Try to push a corporate membership plan (maybe create a separate plan for businesses at the club?), I have worked with a few companies that do seminars or training where they provide meals to encourage attendance.  Many do it on a monthly/bi-monthly basis.  You would not only get the revenue stream from the companies themselves, but you could leave...
It may be, but I have been doing it for years and that and a dash of fresh lemon juice keep it bright and green.