or Connect

Posts by jpofsiny

Thank you all so much for your input. I think I'm going to try the method that you suggested chefedb. One question about the chinoise method - is the chinoise itself necessary? I have other large funnels and collanders and sieves on hand already and this budget is TIGHT - $40 for a chinoise if I don't need to buy it helps! If we need it, we need it though! Totally worth it if it's necessary. Thanks again!
Thanks so much chefedb for your time.  This sounds doable and affordable. I understand what supplies I need: chinoise (fine) cheesecloth ground coffee   now technique: boil 6 QT water add ground coffee to chinoise lined with cheesecloth pour water over/thru chnoise/coffee   here I have a question: what/where am I mixing exactly before I discard the coffee grounds?  can you please explain this?   also, if I was doing the apron technique, you let it steep because of the...
Hello, I am cooking for a group of 30 people where the kitchen cannot use any electric appliances that have heating elements as the electricity is generated for photovoltaic (solar) panels and the way a heating element works does not match well with solar in this case.   Can anyone suggest a good (low cost) solution to prepare coffee for 30 people on a daily basis?   There is a gas stove and oven available.   Thank you for any and all perspectives.  It is...
thanks for the input...how do you mean - hold up?  sogginess?
Hi All, Any recommendations for keeping whole wheat pasta in good serving condition (and safe) for about 12 hours from prep time to serving time?  This is for a VERY low-scale venue so it does not need to be gourmet quality to be honest.  It is going to be served with a marinara sauce.   I know moisture + heat = bad but it needs to be cooked before the event, then transported, and there are not facilities on site to do such.   I am thinking cook it as close to...
...and is there a way to import a pricelist from Excel to MasterCook?
I have noticed that MasterCook does not scale up measurements units when you are upscaling the servings on a recipe...for example: 15 TSP of cayenne pepper, remains in TSP rather than auto-converting to TBSP or convert cups to liters, etc.   Does anyone have any input on this or can anyone address this in relation to my previous post?   Thanks so much!  Looking forward to reading advice.
i like weebly
Hello, I have started some catering work and am interested if anyone can share any information regarding a couple of topics which I am interested in making more efficient.  So far, I have used Excel to upscale recipes and to calculate costs.  I have just input my first recipe using MasterCook and see that it seems to work well for upscaling recipes.   I have read a bit here on this thread: http://www.cheftalk.com/forum/thread/58695/best-catering-software   What...