or Connect

Posts by V lou tay

Choices, choices, choices   Considering from where you are starting my suggestion would be for the Fujiwara stainless. While most folks would call this a starter knife it's still worlds above what your getting out of your Forschners. It also has the advantage of being relatively easy to sharpen. I would caution you to be careful with harder steels as your first knife. They are more difficult to sharpen and you might get more frustrated.   I have a number of young...
If I could offer a little perspective, I dont often have the 1-2 hours required for soaking a stone. My recommendation would be to look at the shapton glass stones, no soaking required just splash and go. Will work fine with your current knives as well as future purchase. While its not as responsive as soft natural stones it still does give feed back.   Learning to sharpen is as much about careful attention to the details ie flattening your stones, maintaining...
Hello All   I've got a Kikuchi Carbon Elite Gyuto that has lousy edge retention. I've stayed around 15 degrees, reground and thined and worked the stone progression from 220, 1000,4000 all on Shapton glass stones. While I can get a great edge it wont hold for more than a couple of hours of professional prep. I'm using Boos boards for most everything, I've got good knife skills, dont abuse the edges and yet cant seem to get any life out of this edge.   As a...
anybody got any thought as to the best course of action for refinishing a wa handle. I was comtemplating a sanding, staining and perhaps sealing regiment.   Has anyone done this? Any pitfalls about using something like minwax poly seal or a similar product?   The handle is currently in good shape, this is purely for cosmetic/personal reasons.
I believe your underestimating the power of my beedy eyes!! although my wifes says I always overestimate that particular qaulity!   Point taken with the carbon. I currently use old Dexter Chefs knives both in 8" as well as 12"(vintage 1960's-great knives still by the way) as well as Fujiwara, Kikuchi and Sab.carbons. My habits are already formed around carbon and they present no issues.   Just for sh;ts and giggles, Any comparable blue steel lasers you suggest...
Phaedrus,   Point taken, their probley is white steel getting a patina in the box!   I have 2 white steels already, both are the Tojiro shirogami. They were reactive but they patinad rather quickly. They taken a wonderful edge and the retention is pretty good.   Is it fair to assume most white steels will react alike? I understand that the forging and production will affect the preformance qualities ( hardness, edge retention, etc ) but will the steel still...
Your Fuji was a great choice. The Mac is a better knife. You wont find many arguements with regard to that.   I'll offer some context for you. I'm a working proifessional chef. I carry Fujis in my kit on a daily basis. I have the petty, boning, 210 and 240 gyuto's.The gyuto's are typically loaner knives for cooks who have never used a J knife before. Most of them can't belive how sharp it gets. The petty and boning are everyday working tools.   I share this with...
All right I want a laser!!!   I handled both but not had the opportunity to work w/ either. I seeking opinions from my well sharpened comrades!   Put aside the obvious differences ( steel type,money) Which is quite simply the best?   Opinions are like a**holes, everone gots one, lets here them.   Working Chef in a busy private club kitchen, this knife will be used everyday for finer work .   BDL- I read an old forum were you were also debating between...
Hello All   I've read about the whiipy Massa VG and the nstiffer Mac Pro. My question is who does it compare to the following knives in terms of stiffness. I'm not looking for a steel comparison just a realative real world,  have used both, comparison.   My current rotation Tojiro DP 24cm Fujiwara FKM 24 Kikuchi Carbon Elite 24   All gyutos. The fuji seems to be least stiif of the bunch but not so much that it stops me from using it. I've got 12" Dexter...
cool but yes nuts!!! I give you credit, it's far more effort than I would commit to. How fine are you going to get that finish. I don't own anything finer than 4K glass stone. As we do virtually no shashimi or Japanese style fish work I've never seen the need in a practical sense for my style of cooking. In fact I usually stop at 1K with my boning knives as I like the toothy quality I get.