or Connect

Posts by ruscal

hey there. i'm in the UK. and looking to sell some Masamoto VG's if you fancy those. i've got a 180mm Santoku and a 120mm petty. PM me if you're interested.
stone wise everyone seems to like the bester 1200. personally i have a Mizuyama #1000; it was what was available to me locally in the uk at the time i needed to buy - youre lucky that you have a few retailers in the US that are really into this stuff so you have a lot more options. definitely get a flattening something as well. i have a peacock #120 which works fine. one thing i would say about the knife is the wa vs western handle thing. i like 240 wa handles size wise....
how much do you want to spend bro?   and what kind of stuff do you normally cook?
there are a few brands that offer good bang for buck on Japanese style knives that could work for your budget   far as i can see there are 3 things you need to work out: 1) Steel - do you go carbon or stainless? stainless will probably be cheaper, and will be easier to maintain. but lots of people love carbon and they take a better edge quicker.   2) Wa handle or western handle. Just a question of taste really   3) What you want to include in the set. i...
thats pretty cool! the way he did the horizontal slices in the garlic was a bit terrifying though... and shame it didnt mention specifically to discard the root end of the onion cause that the bit that makes you cry.
RE (1) i personally think the only 3 knives you'd need would be:  * a 210mm western handle gyuto (240mm for wa-handle)  * a 240mm suji  * a 150mm petty those 3 knives are all i really use at home. personally i like the Masamoto VG series. they have POM handles which i find comfortable, and they're stainless steel which makes caring for them easy.   RE (2) i say go for it for a whet stone. and for now just get a 1000 grit. it will be a PITA for a while getting them...
oh, also...    i picked up some of these sticky cork things from ebay on the cheap which i was thinking to stick on the bottom side to keep the bottom of the board nice and dry...   what do you think? good idea or bad idea?  
hi chaps. and chapettes!   i just received a new chopping board. i've been wanting to get a new one for a while. my previous one was a cheap and cheerful Olive and Thyme one i got from TK Maxx... :)   i was originally thinking i would get a new board from www.theboardsmith.com but it seems that he doesn't make them any more... so then i was looking at www.cuttingboardgallery.com and Angela was super nice and super helpful, but in the end the import duties to get...
@jbroida - i found the perfect video on your channel! thanks so much for making this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tza5pymb5yg&sns=em
@benuser i already have a suji. i'm looking to do nigiri & sashimi cuts, so i think i need the weight of a yanagiba @bdl i dont think i can realistically learn to be a sushi chef. theres way more to learn than would be possible in my spare time. and honestly i'm not super keen on learning to break down fish from scratch. my favourite sushi is tuna, and its really unlikely i'm ever gonna buy a whole tuna... what i'm going for here is to be able to do a few small things...